Any simple recommended exercises?

Hello, I'd thought I'd start by just giving some information, I'm not sure what bearing this will have, but it's there for you anyway.

Sex: Male

Height: 188cm

*Weight: 73kg (Roughly, but last time I checked was a couple of months ago)

Diet: Pecto-vegetarian

* And in case it's mentioned I'm aware that I am underweight, but I am someone who isn't open to the possibility and consuming too much protein because I do not want to the take the chance of letting my weight get out of hand, plus I do not professionally bodybuild. And of course I appreciate that I won't build up large muscles if I'm not eating enough protein. But like I say, I'm not aspiring to be a beefcake (no pun intended).

I was wondering if you had any suggestions for other exercises to do, because mostly my work out has come to a bit of a halt because I'm lost for ideas. So I'm mainly doing dumbell curls, bar bench pressing and dumbell flies.

Obviously I do not do this 3 times a week, because I know that you have to alternate and focus on different muscles groups.

I'm not looking for any fine-tuning exercises that a lot of professional bodybuilders do, I'm looking for simple ones that will help work other muscle groups. I know a few, but I prefer other people's suggestions.

I'd also like to add that I am someone with poor flexibility, and my balance isn't particularly great either.

Thanks for your time

- Wayne D

If you lift right your body should grow so long as there is even a small amount of protein in your diet. This isn't the case for people that have been lifting for years but it is for people that have not. You'll see people on this site that are in incredible muscular form and get less than 15grams of complete protein a day...thats 30% of the recommended value for regular people that sit on their butts. Your body will build muscle if you train...it has to!!! As for your weight your underweight for a bodybuilder but I wouldn't say your underweight all together. I'm actually 6'1'' and 200lbs working towards going to 180...10-12 of those pounds I'm trying to lose are gonna have to be muscle. Getting real bulk is much more dependant on genetic potential and training that it is on diet...diet is a big part but its not everything so long as your diet is healthy(and there are lots of forms of a healthy diet). Also you can lift 3 times a week...I lifted 4 upper body days a week for years only taking off maybe 3-4 days every couple months and I was huge.

As for the lifts I suggest you do dumbell presses and keep doing your flies. Having bad balance and flexibility just means you need to work on it...not give up on it. Also do you do any lower body lifts...squats are great and if your balance is bad you should do them with rotating leg positions to strengthen your stabilizer musles.

Am I misstaken, or is this pretty much the same as being non-vegetarian ?

Anyway, for exercises I would skip the curls and the flies, I dont believe isolation exercises are that useful. Good things to add would be barbell- or dumbbell-rowing, squats, lunges, military presses and deadlifts. And while Im at it, this is the best site for finding information about exercises:

www.exrx.net .

I was going to say the same

Anyway, the term, as some people use it, is pesco vegetarian.

By the way, did i tell you that i'm a cow milk and eggs vegan?

By the way, did i tell you that i'm a cow milk and eggs vegan?

I haven't come on here to be judged. So I'd appreciate it if you kept the witty comments to a minimum, please.

bronco - Well I won't be following your advice in regards to stopping curls and flies because they have been productive for me. I am relatively content with my chest muscles and biceps, considering I'm underweight. Naturally, I'd prefer them bulkier somewhat.

veganpotter - Thank you for the information. I do perform squats, but I must admit that lately I haven't done them at all because of the heat, and yeah I know that's a cop-out.

I am still looking for an example of work-out, it doesn't have to be strict and detailed. Just something I can work from so that I'm not stuck doing only bicep and chest muscle exercises.

Thanks

- Wayne D

wow...pretty lame someone comes asking advice and are ridiculed...as I've discovered in the "what is vegan debate" one of the main problems with vegans is they sometimes have a "holier than thou" attitude. My guess is that few of us were born with perfect vegan ethics...and who wants them if vegans act like condescending jerks...I'd say that you catch more flies with honey, but then someone might accuse me of being anti-vegan.

You do catch more flies with honey. But it is insulting (I believe to vegans/vegetarians) and at the same time confusing to average Americans if people call themselves vegetarians but still eat fish. Fish is meat. Like when you tell people your vegetarian/vegan and they say "so you eat fish right?"

You do catch more flies with honey. But it is insulting (I believe to vegans/vegetarians) and at the same time confusing to average Americans if people call themselves vegetarians but still eat fish. Fish is meat. Like when you tell people your vegetarian/vegan and they say "so you eat fish right?"

Well I only use the term pesco-vegetarian because I get tired of saying 'I consume fish and dairy products but do not eat other forms of meat.'

- Wayne D

Oh, I agree 100% on the clarification that eating fish excludes you from being a vegetarian of any kind...but I also believe that particular situation could have been handled better...like maybe pointing out politely that that is not a true vegetarian diet...technically lacto-ovo vegetarians aren't real vegetarians...I would call that particular diet, for lack of a better term, a "healthy" diet. Its a start... when I first attempted to be vegetarian I was completely on my own...I tried to eliminate red meat first...never claimed to be vegetarian tho, that didn't really work. Shortly after that I moved to the States from Germany and decided since I would have to start a whole new life here, it would be easier to change my routine. I was fortunate to have some friends I had known in Germany years before invite me here in Amarillo to stay with them. They were vegetarian and helped me get started...it was the helpful guidance of friends that helped me make the adjustments...not critical antagonism from strangers...

Mostly all vegan nutritionists agree that if you put cruelty aside...dairy is the the worst thing a person can eat...it much more unhealthy than meat so in reality(definately not advocating this) its healthier to eat a diet with vegetables and meat than it is to eat vegetables and dairy. A ovo-lacto vegetarian diet is not a healthy diet by any means.

It took me a while but I realized I was possibly/probably doing more harm than good by stopping at being an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I made up for all the meat I used to eat with cheese...which is basically the cruelest from of dairy becuase its concentrated milk in solid form...yuck thats like cleaning an old rotten breast pump with your mouth.

I was lacto-ovo for a while...then one day I caught myself being pretty hippocritical...I was talking to some one about being vegetarian and they said it was just too hard, I was trying to tell them it wasn't...then it hit me, that's the same excuse I've been using for not going totally vegan! I don't know why, but that's all it took for me. It was hard for a few weeks, but once I got in the habit of checking labels it was easy. I still check out labels almost instinctively now when I get new products. I've always been my own worse critic, but that's probably true for most...

I thought it was gonna be hard and for the first few days it was but after I was vegan for a week I felt so incredible that I never thought about cheese again...didn't even try vegan cheese for almost 6 months

Well I only use the term pesco-vegetarian because I get tired of saying 'I consume fish and dairy products but do not eat other forms of meat.'

Well, there is an obvious solution to that problem: stop eating fish . Im sure the board can be very helpful if you want to attain that goal.

As for workout, perhaps something like this:

Squats 3x8

Deadlifts 3x5

Barbell row 3x8

Benchpress 3x8

Military press 3x8

Abs

Back extensions

(And then of course you can add curls and flies if you like )

Ah...lots of things are off topic...I do have to admit though...the recent availability of Follow Your Heart vegan cheese makes me quite happy when I indulge(hasn't been for over 6 months I'm affraid to say)

I'm kinda torn on the substitutes...vegan cheese, Boca burgers, Chik patties, etc...there was a time when I tried to avoid them based on the idea that they in some way validated the real meat and cheese. Same with fake leather. I was working at a pizza place when I gave up cheese, it was pretty hard. I was afraid that vegan cheese might make me crave the real stuff...so I avoided it. I'm not worried about that now. As for your recomendation on Reeses PB cup substitutes, I really appreciate that. It's not really that big of a problem for me, I was merely pointing out that I have had occasional lapses of judgement. But then again, maybe I should concern myself with other people's judgement...else the vegan police may knock on my door with search warrants for casien and whey!

Think of it this way...you could...however odd make cheese with human milk anyway I don't eat fake meat unless its given to me...I'd rather not eat it...with the exception of things at vegan/asian restaurants. In most cases those things that you would call fake meat have been eaten before the idea of fake meat....now they just call it that.

I'm kinda torn on the substitutes...vegan cheese, Boca burgers, Chik patties, etc...there was a time when I tried to avoid them based on the idea that they in some way validated the real meat and cheese. Same with fake leather.

I disagree that fake meat, cheese, & leather promote the real products. Rather, if you take the opportunity, it is a terrific way to educate people that you don't need to kill animals for anything that you eat or wear.

I have this great faux fur coat. Personally, I don't think anyone could possibly mistake it for the real thing, but just to make sure & to make a point, I proudly wear a Peta button "Fur is Dead" on the collar.

Also, I believe the very best way in the world to turn people onto veganism is to treat them to vegan food that you've made. People are always stunned to discover that Chocolate Wowie Cake w/ Peanut Butter frosting is vegan.

All of that said, fake meats are highly processed & whole foods are so much better for you. But in moderation I find Nate's Meatless Meatballs or slices of Tofurky's Italian Sausage to be a fun treat on top of my spaghetti now & then!

I agree...with most of what you said...I'm torn, but I eat it...as for faux fur/leather...I wear it too, but I don't know how many times someone has said, "You claim to be vegan, but you're wearing leather shoes!" Next time somebody says that I swear I'm gonna take one off, stick that smelly thing in there face and tell them to read the label! Sometimes people will ask (or accuse you of hippocracy), other times they quietly judge you, thinking you're a hippocrit. I don't care anymore, I mean I kinda do, but I'm not gonna lose sleep. But, there is a good arguement that fake meat/cheese/leather/fur let people know they can enjoy the "same" things in a more animal friendly way...that's important too, helps many make the transition. So like everything else it's up to the individual.

Nope, you're right on.

It's as 'vegetarian' as "pollo-vegetarian," "bovi-vegetarian," "porci-vegetarian,' or even "anthropo-vegetarian"

Back to the original question:

Don't discount the value of body-weight exercises, which you can make more or less intense, as needed.

Chin-ups/pull-ups are great for the back, and chin-ups work the biceps well, too (so you don't have to give up curls, but you might find you can decrease the number of sets you devote to them.

Push-ups can be done with a variety of hand placements, to work both the chest and the triceps (and the anterior delt). If push-ups seem too easy for you, try decline p-u (with feet on a chair) or 1-arm push-ups (with feet spread wide for balance) or 'triangle push-ups (with hands close together, elbows flared, and first fingers and thumbs touching, to form a triangle). You can also do side-lying push-ups (lying on left side, put left and on right side of body, and right hand near pacs and push up) to work triceps more.

Tricep dips work, of course , the triceps.

Edited by Kathryn

Full front squats

Squats

Power cleans

Dumbbell bench press

Incline dumbbell bench press

One arm rows

Shoulder presses

All kinds of shoulder raises and rotations

Skull crushers

Seated dumbbell curls on an incline bench

When doing Standing dumbbell curls, theres a tendancy to flare your elbows and drop your shoulder. On an incline bench, you can really isolate your biceps.

admit it, everyone wants the big guns