Really cheap food!!!

karlhubris

I don't know if it is like this everywhere, but here is a little secret I've been turned on to here in Amarillo...

We have a large Asian population (alot of people from Laos & Vietnam were located here by the Catholic church during the war) and they have really cheap tofu, mock duck, mock pork, etc...

White Wave tofu costs about $1.99 here, but at the Asian markets I can get a 5 gallon bucket for $16!! We did the math and it comes to $.30 per block!!!! Here's the best part...you freeze it and it will last quite a while plus something about freezing it gives it a better texture. A 5 gallon bucket will last us at least 2 months- eating tofu nearly every day! As for the mock duck, etc... it's basically all wheat gluten and it's about $1.40 per can. The mock duck makes for awesome fajitas!!!

The down side is...you have to deal with fish heads and squid...but we have to deal with that at all the grocery stores here. Even the "health food" stores sell organic steaks and the like, only packaged a little neater...

I don't know about the rest of you, but we are pretty poor and this info has saved us a fortune on tofu alone!

I've got a place near baltimore that has 10 tofu cubes for $3 so its the same...I used to eat a bucket almost everyday. Rice was dirt cheap and they had awesome fruit

Yeah, I've only seen it that cheap at this place here called Dong Phuong's.

But they all have really cheap (and good) rice and "mock" meats. Ever try forbidden rice? We found some at Dong Phuong...it's a purplish color...very,very tasty...I think the story is that it was reserved for royalty or something like that...

Never heard of that rice...the place I go to is actually a Korean grocer and fake meats aren't popular...they do have some mean kimche though. Most isn't vegan but if you look some doesn't have anchovies or oyster sauce.