Tofu??? What to do????

Bearsfan5434

Would anyone like to help me out here?

I just need a crash course into how to prepare it. From what I understand, a good way to do it is to press it until its just a block, then marinate it. Now I'm sure this is VERY basic, and I would like to know EVERY SINGLE way to make.....just kidding...just a few basics would be more than enough.

Thanks in advance

Brandon Boyd

I use firm tofu and slice it up into sections shaped liked rectangles, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. They are kinda like "fish sticks" in shape. I bake them in the oven for 30-40 minutes and then put something on them like soy sauce, nutritional yeast, salsa, etc.

I also cut the firm tofu up into little square blocks and saute them with veggies in a big wok.

So I mostly bake it or saute or fry it on a pan.

I also get some tofu that is already prepared and flavored too, since plain white blocks of firm tofu are not the most tasty thing in the world.

Give it shot, for years tofu was my favorite thing to eat. I still eat tofu, but not quite as much as I used to. I eat a lot of beans, veggies, fruits, and nuts these days.

I feel like I keep saying it, but check out www.vegweb.com

Great site for recipes and the like.

The fantastic thing about tofu is how versatile it really is. It can pretty much be whatever you want it to be. Stir-fried, baked, whatever. Also, don't forget about all of the other "meat" alternatives out there. You've got lots of exploring to do, and I happen to think it's really fun to find great new foods.

• 1 month later...

I bought my very first block of tofu today! (I've never bought it before because I was completely clueless about what to do with it) This stuff looks really weird, fresh out of the package.

Using suggestions from this thread and from vegweb.com, I have concocted a most delicious teriyaki stir-fry.

YUM!

Is tofu ever made of any substance besides soy?

A man sees a woman placing a tub of tofu in her shopping cart. He approaches her. "Excuse me, but what do you do with the tofu?" he asks. She responds, "Every few days I drain it & fill it with fresh water. After about 2 weeks I throw the tofu away." He looks disappointed. "That's the same recipe my wife has. I was hoping you had a different one!"

===

I agree with Corey that vegweb.com has great recipes. The "Sloppy Steves" if made with the modifications mentioned in the notes below the recipe, are really good!

Tofu Scramble is also very good, especially served over toast spread with Tofutti Cream Cheese. Here's how I make mine:

...1 medium onion, chopped

...2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

...1 block tofu, drained well & mashed or crumbled

...3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes

...1 teaspoon tumeric

...1 teaspoon salt, optional

...assorted chopped veggies. I like fresh tomatoes, fresh spinach, olives, mushrooms. Sometimes I'll add cooked Smart Bacon crumbled in pieces.

In a small amount of oil, saute the onion & garlic till tender. In a bowl, add the mashed tofu, ny flakes, tumeric, salt & veggies & mix well. Add tofu & veggies to the pan & cook on medium to medium high heat till moisture is cooked off.

• 1 month later...

You can buy baked tofu all ready flavored, BBQ, Italien, Thai, Oriental...I cube it and put in salads, my kids bring it just cubed in a bowl for lunch or in a wrap with other sandwich fillings. You can also add it to stir fry.

I like White Wave brand.

Good Luck,

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes I saw the baked tofu, I was not sure if thats the 'firm' yall are talking about? It's like 3 bucks. But the soft one w/ water is like 1 dollar. I want the cheaper one of course but can I just put the soft ones and fry it up? or do i have to drain the water out then do fry it?

hey auro,

I think you are talking about the silken tofu?

That is really good scrambled in a frying pan.

Take a lil olive oil, and sautee some gren onions and whatever other veg you like. Drain the silken tofu, then hold the tofu over the frying pan and kind of crumble it into the frying pan (feels nasty in your hands but will taste good). Add JUST A DASH of tumeric which will give it a yellow colour when you mix it up. JUST A DASH THOUGH CUZ TUMERIC IS VERY BITTER. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix, stir, frying it the whole time (as you would scrambled eggs). I usually do so until it is overcooked -- i.e. slightly burnt and dry. End result is scrambled tofu with whatever veggies you threw in it and delicious!

Its good, and high in protein and veggie health!!!!

thanks girl! that clears it up. I never knew lawyers[future lawyers included] were so nice.

btw i envy you, u live in canada!!

I want to move to canada so bad. Hopefully in the future. I visited Victoria, BC and Vancouver. I looveeed it ohsomuch.

thanks girl! that clears it up. I never knew lawyers[future lawyers included] were so nice.

Awww thanks. Ya, their usually not -- I am the exception though. But dont make me mad or I will show my teeth then bite , OR paw at you with my claws out (just kiddin' ).

ya, Canada has its good points. Like free basic health care, no natural disasters (at least none major and if so, very rare). Mother Nature seems to spare Canada.

However, very cold winters and very hot and humid summers.

and of course the very shameful baby seal slaugter. among many other ridiculous crimes against animals.

I am looking forward to moving somewhere else when I am done my obligations holding me here.

never been to british columbia, but I heard it is beautiful, very vegan friendly and rob has family in b.c. so he could take over!

Happy cruelty-free cooking!!!

Lately I put some of Newman's vinegarette on the tofu and had peas to add in. It was really good. You can make your own vinegarette, just mix some olive oil and vinegar, at whatever ratio you like. I also added some veg-it seasoning which has so many flavorings I wont type any out. Really good stuff. Its the red label kind not the yellow incase you wanted to try to find it. Having my creation as leftovers was not as good as just after I mixed it all together the night before, then I had to really restrainmyself from eating it all so I could have a lunch. I think i'm goin to have this again.

Lately I put some of Newman's vinegarette on the tofu and had peas to add in. It was really good. You can make your own vinegarette, just mix some olive oil and vinegar, at whatever ratio you like. I also added some veg-it seasoning which has so many flavorings I wont type any out. Really good stuff. Its the red label kind not the yellow incase you wanted to try to find it. Having my creation as leftovers was not as good as just after I mixed it all together the night before, then I had to really restrainmyself from eating it all so I could have a lunch. I think i'm goin to have this again.

sounds good!

all this talk about food is makin me hungry!

• 2 weeks later...

This simple recipe only takes less than 5 minutes to fix.

Drain cold 1 silken tofu and cut about 1/2 inch square pieces.

Grate fresh ginger root and squeeze about 2 tablespoonful juice in small bowl.

Add about 3 tablespoonful Japanese soy sauce to ginger juice.

Mince 1 green onion (scallion) and add to soy/ginger sauce.

Dip cold pieces of tofu in soy/ginger sauce and enjoy!

• 1 year later...

I made something really cool with tofu tonight, it had chinese five-spice, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and a bit of cayenne pepper... no recipe, I just sort of made it up as I went along. While it was cooking, I thought "gee, wasn't there a thread about things to do with tofu?"

So, here's the thread... revived.

I bought my very first block of tofu today! (I've never bought it before because I was completely clueless about what to do with it) This stuff looks really weird, fresh out of the package.

Wow, I guess I've really learned a lot in the past year and a half. Like, for instance, that "silken" tofu and the tofu sold in tubs full of water are not necessarily interchangeable in recipes. (Like many other things, I learned this the hard way.)

I love to bake tofu!! all I do i cute the tofu in 1/2 long ways, then cut into triangles, then i make a sause of braggs liquid amino, juice of 1/4 lemon, few dashes of sesame oil....take the tofu first and press the water out of it, dip tofu into sause and put on cookie sheet bake @ 400 degrees for about 5-7 min then enjoy!!

• 4 weeks later...

I think tofu gets a really bad rap, from most, esp my non veg friends and co-workers. Tofu can be an amazing food, it all depends on what you do with it. I think what turns most of it, is it's texture. I've been to restaurants that serve traditional chinese restaurant style foods substituted with tofu. But they've used soft tofu, that doesn't go very well in a Sesame Tufu dish that is supposed to be a mock Sesame Chicken dish. I've also found that using a soft tofu that has not been squeezed can fall apart and cumble when cooking with it. That can be bad when that is not your intention.

Silken tofu makes great puddings, mousses, and cupcake fillings!

If you have the time, freeze the drained firm or extra firm tofu overnight. I freeze mine in a tupperware dish. Thaw it the next day. When you are ready to prepare it, cut the brick in half and squeeze as much of the water out of it as you can without crumbling it. Now you can marinate it, batter and fry, bake, saute, crumble. Freezing and draining the tofu gives it a really good firm and chewy texture! It makes amazing fajitas and mock ricotta cheese for stuffed shells or lasagna! To much water in tofu can be boring and adds no exciting texture if you use it like that all of the time.

Just suggestions, to each his own! Also, if you're interested, some tofu will state on the package that their tofu is made from non-GMO soybeans. The price seems to run in-line with those who do use lab beans

Make sure to use the right type of tofu for the right use. I think many people dislike tofu because they've used the wrong kind. And also because they don't see it for what it is: a raw ingredient, like flour, that needs to have something done to it.

Asceptically packaged, 'silken' tofu, like Mori-Nu, is good for blending to make puddings, dips, even smoothies. It is NOT good (texture-wise) for stirfrying or baking.)

The water-packed tofu is good for stirfrying, baking, broiling, cutting up and eating as-is on salad--make sure it's fresh, though---marinating. You can also freeze it and then thaw to create a more crumbly texture that, when the excess water if pressed out, really soaks up whatever flavors you mix it with (good as a sub for 'ground beef' in chili, tacos, etc. It does turn a bit yellowish when frozen, but that's normal).

You can press a block of water-packed tofu between two plates, with a weight on top, to remove excess water, then marinate, then bake. If you keep the temp lower and the time longer, the tofu gets drier and chewier, and is good for a sandwich addition. Or dice and put in salads.

You can also crumble water-packed tofu and add chopped celery and onions, a bit of vegan mayo and some mustard and some poultry seasoning to make a mock 'chicken' salad. Mock egg salad is similar, with parsley, a bit of nutritional yeast and tumeric and no poultry seasoning.

• 2 months later...