Tofu??? What to do????

Bearsfan5434

Textured Soy Protein is an easy fix. Making tofu meaty is tough because its already processed. You can really only cook flavor into it or try freezing it before you fry it(it'll change the texture significantly)

does anyone have good ideas on how to make meat subsitutes out of tofu? i am trying to get away from the textured wheat protein stuff...i checked on vegweb but nothing really stood out to me.

I heard that some Chinese restaurants use corn starch (I believe it was) to give the tofu a "skin", kind of like Chicken (I'm thinking General Tso's Tofu), but I'll try to find other ways. If you're really up for making it like meat, you need to find REALLY firm tofu also.

If you get lucky you'll actually get the tofu skin on your tofu you buy. The outide of the enormous tofu blocks made at factories have a skin on them.

• 3 months later...

here in the UK we get organic cauldron tofu. I don't think I saw it out in the states, but could be wrong. it's quite firm and perfect for stir fry with broccoli and cashews, then add some soy sauce for flavour, hey presto! bob's your uncle. oh, it helps to half steam to broccoli first, and perhaps add some ginger to the pan beforehand.

simple is always best

I love to get a silken tofu and blend in the food processor with melted chocolate chips and put it into a pie crust for an amazing chocolate pie!

I also like to fry tofu and then dip it into a mixture of soysauce and garlic, mmmmm. there is lots to do with it I think vegweb is a good resource and also cooking with others who cook tofu and other vegan recipes.

sheesh, I'd lop off my arm for an egg about now :/ red dwarf put me off . kryten "mmmm boiled chicken ovulations" after lister had spent a millenia in stasis! I think he wanted onion bhajis instead though, can't quite remember.

onion bhajis . mmm..

Is that your pic in avatar. Damn.. your ripped fit.

thanks so much crashnburn. yeahhhh houston tx! actually I was born there.

a few years back I used to run around that big ol reservoir around I-10 from highway 6! not the whole way though, hehe, that'd be like 70 miles or something... sheesh! usually I'd make it to, whats' the name of the tollway that goes on up to the airport? sam houston tollway methinks.

I'm working on a vegan/veggie myspace so hopefully I'll have it up and running asap with recipes/piccys and hopefully some other cool stuff, workout routines etc.

nice to meet cha