Movie Reviews Thread; recommendations, opinions, etc...

_raVen_

I saw "Clay Pigeons" again the other night. Love Vince Vaughn. I wonder if I'm less vegan for enjoying some movies with violence

What have you all seen?

--

loveliberate, got a recommendation for you (if you haven't seen it) -- "Dear Wendy." Just saw it last week for the first time.

If you haven't seen it and intend to, don't look it up or read about it first! watch it cold and come back here and gimme your opinion on it ; I'd like to read your take. Yea, it's got a gun theme; but that's all I'm sayin' . If you've seen it, what do you think?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the same problem i cant turn left

i am always doing "THE MAGNUM" to my wife i know i conquer her because of that

You can do Magnum?!!

My favorite part is in the coal mine. Although the funeral scene comes in a close second.

seasiren, which version of "Mutiny" is that?

Jay, you've really gone over the edge...first tv, now netflix?? Traitor!

Speaking of Mutiny, one of my all-time favorites is "The Caine Mutiny" with Humphrey Bogart. [/b]

I love to watch old silent movies as well. I used to sit up nursing and rocking little ones who were hungry and not yet sleeping through the night at about 3AM! (I was never old school in the "let the baby cry" thinking. I always slept in the same room as them and didn't let them cry. )

seasiren, which version of "Mutiny" is that?

Jay, you've really gone over the edge...first tv, now netflix?? Traitor!

Speaking of Mutiny, one of my all-time favorites is "The Caine Mutiny" with Humphrey Bogart. [/b]

Well... I never paid for the tv... (Don't have it anymore.) And I don't think movies are so bad. Especially not leftist stuff like Matewan by John Sayles. And 50's movies by Kurosawa aren't complicit in the media censorship of the third world holocaust.

Saw Inconvenient Truth this weekend (I'm shocked nobody else has put this on a thread - unless I'm missing it). Very good movie, scary too. I've researched some of the facts Gore brings up in the movie and it seems like it's very accurate. It is not just a campaign movie - although it very well could be. And for the record, I did not vote for Gore last time - but I might next time. He seems to have found his voice and his personality.

The 2 things that I found very interesting, besides the apparently solid scientific proof that we're on the verge of a worldwide disaster:

1. He makes it a moral issue. We have a moral obligation to our children and grandchildren to cut back on co2 emissions, especially in the US.

2. The Ozone layer was a HUGE issue a few years ago, but with some simple changes, the public turned that issue around and apparently saved the ozone layer. The same can happen with global warming.

I'd really like to see it...unfortunately movies like that seldom show here...I think an al qaeda recruiting video has a better chance of showing in Amarillo theatres! I should take that back...they will probably eventually show it for a week or so -with one showing per day at 10pm.

Yeah Netflix is alright. I've had it for a while now. They send you movies really fast for the first month or so, then they start sending them slower once they think they have you hooked

Really? Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

seasiren, that is a classic. If you like Charles Laughton, then see "Advise and Consent" -- brilliant! But he's brilliant in most of his films.

From "Mutiny" I always remember the way he says, "Misstuh, Chrrrisstian" to Clarke Gable

Oh, (eta):"Witness for the Prosecution," and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"!

Jay what have seen with your Netflix?

KarlHubris, was "Nacho Libre" stupid? It looks like a waste of time...

Gotta see "An Inconvenient Truth." Every time I see Al Gore, though, I cry...seriously.

Gusti you owe me some cash. I've been trying to watch "THe city of Lost Children" for about 4 days now. I can only go about 15 minutes before I gotta shut it off.

Sheesh...I'd even be willing to watch a Lundgren film instead

I always have to recommend "M" with Peter Lorre -- creepiest movie I've ever seen. *Brrr*

And of course, as always anything with Klaus Kinski

I've seen some John Sayles movies that really weren't anything special. Before I had seen Men With Guns, Matewan and 8 Men Out. Matewan is a masterpiece and Men With Guns is pretty good also. Now with netflix I saw Silver City and The Sunshine State. They weren't anything special. Too many characters, too thinly developed, with plots that were kind of cold and a subpar soundtrack. Lots of political stuff to think about though, which is the one saving grace.

Other than that some romance flicks that aren't worth mentioning..... old seasons of Kids in the Hall... Nothing really worth mentioning. I guess The Cube was pretty good. But not worth really writing about.

I like Matewan. Wasn't it in West Virginia where the US Air Force was called out to bomb striking miners? I read somewhere that the term "redneck" originated over there with labor folks wearing red bandana's to show solidarity with each other...

Some other movies I like &/or recommend:

- Salt Of The Earth

- Deacons for Defense

- Innocents Betrayed

- 28 Days Later

- Pickaxe & Breaking The Spell

I never heard that about "rednecks". Yes, it's in WV. Hits close to home as my grandfather was killed here in the mines.

I've seen Salt of the Earth. Made by a bunch of blacklisted actors, etc during McCarthyism.

I used to live in Bisbee, Arizona and checked out Silver City, New Mexico (where Salt of the Earth was filmed) y Cananea, Sonora, Mex. And just like West Virginia and so many other places: we have such intense & largely suppressed People's history that most people have never heard about....

From a quick glance on google:

http://www.organa.com/salt.html

http://www.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/bisbee/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cananea

Jay, I wasn't bowled over by "Silver City" either, but you gotta give it to Chris Cooper! He's another one of my favorites.

Sorry about your grandfather. What year was that? Those men had it tough. Sounds like sense of justice is in the blood

Speaking of blacklisting, see Point of Order. The back-and-forth with Welch is classic.

loveliberate, 28 days later sounds like a pro-gun movie.

And yeah, Howard Zinn and all that. (A People's History of the US). I added some of those movies to my netflix queue.

raVen, yeah Chris Cooper is a really good actor. Really did a good George Bush. He was in Matewan as the union activist if I remember correctly...

Grandfather died in 1964. I found some old pictures of him and got goosebumps because at first i thought it was me but they were old black and white photos... Gonna see Point of Order too eventually...