Movie Reviews Thread; recommendations, opinions, etc...

_raVen_

Jay, wow, that is cool about your grandfather. I wonder what other traits you inherited from him. I love old pictures. I can see myself in family members too. Was he involved in protests?

Have you seen Parallax View? I may have mentioned it to you before -- we've been on too many forums together for too long Sorta strange to watch Beatty in that decade in a serious role, but he's surprisingly good.

Battle of Algiers is another one I recommend. Certainly shows us we've learned nothing from history like we're supposed to.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay, wow, that is cool about your grandfather. I wonder what other traits you inherited from him. I love old pictures. I can see myself in family members too. Was he involved in protests?

Not that I know of. My mom is the only one relative (still alive) I have who knew him and she doesn't know much as he died when she was quite young. They did have a union though when he worked and they went on strike at least once that she remembers. Hate to say it but my relatives have really sucked when it comes to telling me about ancestors.

Have you seen Parallax View? I may have mentioned it to you before -- we've been on too many forums together for too long Sorta strange to watch Beatty in that decade in a serious role, but he's surprisingly good.

Battle of Algiers is another one I recommend. Certainly shows us we've learned nothing from history like we're supposed to.

Haven't seen these but I will.

I've only seen Matewan I think when it was on IFC. It's never in any movie rental stores but thanks to netflix I finally saw it again last night. It was evening better than I remember it.

Good films mentioned.

Best film I've seen in the last year?

Got to be Waking Life.

I loved Before Sunset and Before Sunrise, too. I'm in Paris for the summer!

Richard Linklater is just great. Anyone seen Fast Food Nation yet? I'm going to see that when it comes out here.

Okay, picked up "Matewan" and "Waking Life";so I'll watch them sometime during the week.

Gorilla the Sunset-Sunrise movies are love stories, right? Are they corny or the kind that make you cry? I hate cornball romance films

I think the only romance story that ever made me cry was "The Way We Were"; but lots of other touching films like, "The Champ," I think "Old Yeller" did me in... and "The Passion of the Christ" did too, which surprised me: it was only one scene that did it, though.

Plenty of others

Haven't heard of "Everything Illuminated."

I have never had a movie made my cry. I was told I was a hard as* for not crying during Passion. But, I told them I knew how the story played out.

I was actually a bit taken aback about my reaction to Passion. Instead of re-affirming my christianity, it did quite the opposite. You see the terrible things that happened to him, happened to so many people, that I didn't see it as anything else then a terrible thing.

I have never had a movie made my cry. I was told I was a hard as* for not crying during Passion. But, I told them I knew how the story played out.

I was actually a bit taken aback about my reaction to Passion. Instead of re-affirming my christianity, it did quite the opposite. You see the terrible things that happened to him, happened to so many people, that I didn't see it as anything else then a terrible thing.

I only cry at movies but not during that one. I'm not a christian and that whole "He died for your sins!" thing just comes across very badly to me. Like I'm supposed to adopt a dogmatic life philosophy out of pity or something. And Mel's Passion really came across pretty close to just being a snuff film.

Best movie I've seen the last year... maybe City of God. I liked Sin City too. I like Mickey Rourke playing tough guys.

I saw a Korean movie called Oldboy...great film. There is a squid eaten alive in the film I dont know if it's CG or not, but Koreans do eat live squid. I think the most recent movie ive seen is A Prarie Home Companion. I liked that one too.

SeaSiren, being called a hardas* is not always a bad thing

I went to see it because of all the controversy over the accusation that it was "anti-Semitic"; otherwise, like Jay, I thought it was all hype and violence. I think some things were done well, cinematographically. It had other interesting aspects to it other than the story. The direction was good, I thought; though I still think it could have been done better. And there were things I did not like as well.

I was SO annoyed through the film because Mary, Jesus's mother, was so incredibly stoic and non-emotive, it drove me crazy! It was unrealistic to me -- brave, I get, but completely void of empathy was overboard. Soooo, when she broke down and saw him carrying the cross...and the way Gibson filmed it, interspersed with the images of him as a child, falling, etc...Oh, my, I blubbered! Seriously, I couldn't keep it quiet That scene is one of the most emotionally powerful for me on film. Makes me teary-eyed even now

I only cry at movies but not during that one. I'm not a christian and that whole "He died for your sins!" thing just comes across very badly to me. Like I'm supposed to adopt a dogmatic life philosophy out of pity or something. And Mel's Passion really came across pretty close to just being a snuff film.

Best movie I've seen the last year... maybe City of God. I liked Sin City too. I like Mickey Rourke playing tough guys.

Why did you see it, Jay? You knew what it would be about.

I agree about the snuff part. I think showing the level of cruelty and violence is necessary; but I think it was gore for gore's sake.

I thought City of God was good; not a fave, though.

I was disappointed in Sin City...I was expecting a lot more. I love the concept and originality...just feel it wasn't done right, or something -- something missing.

But, yea, love Rourke too. I like him similarly to why I like Ray Liotta

I've seen Old Boy as well!

Re: Everything Is Illuminated

Plot Outline: A young Jewish American man endeavors to find the woman who saved his grandfather during World War II in a Ukrainian village, that was ultimately razed by the Nazis, with the help of a local who speaks weirdly funny broken English.

Trailer:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404030/trailers-screenplay-E24749-10-2

Quotes:

[from trailer]

Jonathan: I'm a vegetarian.

Alex: You are a what?

Jonathan: I don't eat meat.

Alex: Pork?

Jonathan: No.

Alex: Chickens?

Jonathan: No!

Alex: What about the sausage?

Jonathan: No meat!

Re: Everything Is Illuminated

Plot Outline: A young Jewish American man endeavors to find the woman who saved his grandfather during World War II in a Ukrainian village, that was ultimately razed by the Nazis, with the help of a local who speaks weirdly funny broken English.

Trailer:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404030/trailers-screenplay-E24749-10-2

Quotes:

[from trailer]

Jonathan: I'm a vegetarian.

Alex: You are a what?

Jonathan: I don't eat meat.

Alex: Pork?

Jonathan: No.

Alex: Chickens?

Jonathan: No!

Alex: What about the sausage?

Jonathan: No meat!

So when you gonna respond to my initial post...it's been, what? Over a month?

thanks, I'll pick that up next time

Sorry Raven, I somehow missed the first post... I dont believe I've seen that movie. I'll try to pick it up, watch it and then get back to ya!

Come on, now, LoveL, you don't want to be like the folks here who respond and don't even read the posts!

Speaking of which...Jay, where is that funny site you posted once (maybe a different site...) that has all the internet "types" of posters. It's hilarious to see how most people fit at least one; only it's bunk when one sees oneself in some

Back to the Passion -- well, along that vein -- anyone hear/read about the newly discovered Book of Judas? It came out in the May National Geographic. It's fascinating. It may mean HUGE changes in what is currently accepted as doctrine...VERY interesting. I heard National Geographic has a special edition out which is devoted to this Book -- as a subscriber, I haven't received my copy

We can expect an uproar...at least, I am. I assume the Catholic Church will be the first. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything from them yet, or at least a comment from the Pope.

All that to get Clarabelle a cup of coffee?

I've watched "Dear Wendy" now Raven. I was unimpressed and disappointed by it. Though the general premise hinted at a thought-provoking plot - or at least an entertaining movie to watch but neither was

delivered. Besides being quite silly and not particularly interesting, the movie reinforced negative race & gender stereotypes while adding little to nothing particularly worthwhile to the discussion around guns and violence... The whole "Dandies" attitude about guns & their handling of them was particularly troublesome.

There's my thoughts, as requested.

Please share your honest opinion of the movie and let me know if there was anything more specific that you would like my perspective on.

All that to get Clarabelle a cup of coffee?

I've watched "Dear Wendy" now Raven. I was unimpressed and disappointed by it. Though the general premise hinted at a thought-provoking plot - or at least an entertaining movie to watch but neither was

delivered. Besides being quite silly and not particularly interesting, the movie reinforced negative race & gender stereotypes while adding little to nothing particularly worthwhile to the discussion around guns and violence... The whole "Dandies" attitude about guns & their handling of them was particularly troublesome.

There's my thoughts, as requested.

Please share your honest opinion of the movie and let me know if there was anything more specific that you would like my perspective on.

Yes, it was a decidely European view of America and Americans . That is what made it interesting to me. It is very silly. And yes, "Dandies", the racist stereotyping, the "love" of a weapon/marriage, etc., it was all quite interesting, I thought.

Also, the fascination with guns and why people find them fascinating, the justification for having them, the good intentions...I found it had many things to think about.

Sorry you were disappointed! I found it had many directions for discussion

Raven,

I'm very much up for discussing the movie and/or any issues it raised with ya. Pick yr issue & let's talk!

I did find it disappointing. Mostly because I hoped that it would be more challenging. I cant really speak to whether or not the "view of America and Americans" was particularly European but if so, that fact would be very interesting to me. I'm sure that it would depend on the European asked... The only person in the movie that I found to have a fairly healthy attitude about guns and their use was Sebastion. He wasnt particularly afraid or lacking in self-confidence, he didnt use guns as a confidence booster or glorify/idolize them and yet he recognized their value as a defensive tool of last resort. Good stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, picked up "Matewan" and "Waking Life";so I'll watch them sometime during the week.

Gorilla the Sunset-Sunrise movies are love stories, right? Are they corny or the kind that make you cry? I hate cornball romance films

I think the only romance story that ever made me cry was "The Way We Were"; but lots of other touching films like, "The Champ," I think "Old Yeller" did me in... and "The Passion of the Christ" did too, which surprised me: it was only one scene that did it, though.

Plenty of others

Haven't heard of "Everything Illuminated."

The Sunset-Sunrise movies just have to be seen. Human connection. Intelligent, thought-provoking script. Engaging, fluent mise-en-scene. Just great films.

• 2 weeks later...

So what'cha think of Preacher Melly Mel now? The guy's being crucified, yet he mostly deserves it, no? What a time to be busted (Israeli-Hizbu'llah)

I've seen a ton of movies and I can't recall some

Saw Matewan -- good

Everything Illuminated -- okay

Waking Life -- scale at a 3, I guess

Just saw Tony Jaa's "Tom Yum Goong" (AKA The Warrior King) last night. FREAKING KICKED MY ASS. There were so many awesome stunts and really long fight scenes with top quality beatings... the story was boring, the acting is terrible, but the fighting, oh boy. I think the fighting is even better than Ong Bak, he fights a wider variety of opponents in this, and fights about 50 times more hench men, some of the fights are ridiculous. Also Jaa gets more of a beating this time. Incredible stuff going on...

Ooh, sounds good. I loved Ong Bak! I shall look for that one.

I saw "Sorry, Haters" which was one of those movies that seems like it's going to be really good and it gets you going...then, takes a bad turn Coulda been good but was wasted, I think.

I just remembered I saw "Narnia" a few months ago and was floored that I loved it I thought, considering how poorly it's been done over the years, that I would hate it. I thought it was done very well. Still, nothing compares to what is conjured up in the imagination when one reads this as a child ; but I can't imagine a better interpretation.

And it was very respectful of Lewis's story finally!

Saw "Salinui chueok ", or "Memories of Murder," a while back, too. Liked it. Good acting.

Been watching latest season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" *Love* Larry David .

Ummm...more, but can't recall.

I didn't like that new Narnia at all. I liked the old BBC version much better.

I thought they actually downplayed the religious stuff too much. That damm liberal media again! TBH when it comes to religion and personal issues they are slightly liberal generally and I thought that Narnia was an example of that. I didn't get the feel of Jesus arising from the dead at all in this movie version. In general Aslan didn't come across as this great moral guide but ultimately not someone to be messed with (like what God is supposed to be to the "god fearing" christian). In removing those religious connotations I thought they neutured his character. And he's pretty important to the movie. Also the acting of the Witch was not as good as in the BBC version. She was cool looking. Just couldn't play a mean witch very well.

For Kung Fu, my favorite is Kung Fu Hustle. I can't be serious about my Kung Fu, so that one is really silly but still lots of long fight scenes with the CGI and all that.

I saw Clerks 2 last weekend. I really like Jay in it. It's cool that he doesn't age much. Like his little dance from Silence of the Lambs. I really liked that song and tried real hard to find out what it is was back then. Now I finally know thanks to Clerks 2. But I wonder what some would think of Clerks 2 in terms of sexism and the beastiality (has an over-the-top donkey sex show in it)? Could you see it and give me your review some time raVen?

Just been watching Kurosawa samurai films. OK but nothing special.

I didn't like that new Narnia at all. I liked the old BBC version much better.

I thought they actually downplayed the religious stuff too much. That damm liberal media again!

Jay? Is that you?

You didn't like it "at all"?

TBH when it comes to religion and personal issues they are slightly liberal generally and I thought that Narnia was an example of that. I didn't get the feel of Jesus arising from the dead at all in this movie version. In general Aslan didn't come across as this great moral guide but ultimately not someone to be messed with (like what God is supposed to be to the "god fearing" christian). In removing those religious connotations I thought they neutured his character. And he's pretty important to the movie. Also the acting of the Witch was not as good as in the BBC version. She was cool looking. Just couldn't play a mean witch very well.

Wow, you know, you're actually right...very perceptive of you . I have to agree; BUT , I'm not sure the book is all that explicit either, when read by a child. I think your analysis is from the perspective of an adult, who, not only knows what to expect; but also has the knowledge of what the morals of the story are, meaning, Lewis's religiosity. Was it written so children know that Aslan was specifically Jesus -- to specifically teach them the New Testament -- or just the supernatural hero? Obviously, it is to teach right and wrong, good and bad and instill a moral compass (though, warring children is disturbing); and the specifics of a religious angle more for the parents, teachers, adults, no?

Since I first read this as a child, I think my expectations were/are different from what I may have expected, if I were seeing it for the first time now. I watched this as if I were a child Seriously. I wanted the fantasy, the talking animals, adventure, etc. I wanted to be taken back to the love I had for the story I had in my mind.

I find it fascinating that you would have liked it to be more religious, Jay . You hate having religion up in your face, so that surprises me. I'd like to know why you would want more.

I hated the BBC versions, by the way! UGH! They are horrible!

...For Kung Fu, my favorite is Kung Fu Hustle. I can't be serious about my Kung Fu, so that one is really silly but still lots of long fight scenes with the CGI and all that.

I didn't like it, really. I think the tv series is more interesting to watch

I saw Clerks 2 last weekend. I really like Jay in it. It's cool that he doesn't age much. Like his little dance from Silence of the Lambs. I really liked that song and tried real hard to find out what it is was back then. Now I finally know thanks to Clerks 2. But I wonder what some would think of Clerks 2 in terms of sexism and the beastiality (has an over-the-top donkey sex show in it)? Could you see it and give me your review some time raVen?

Uh, oh...bestiality discussion on a vegan site? Should be interesting.

I've noticed this "last of the taboos" has been coming up in movies lately. I think The 40-year-old Virgin is one that cracked a joke about it.

I'll check it out and let you know. I haven't seen Clerks since it came out. I should probably rent it again and then see 2.