Movie Reviews Thread; recommendations, opinions, etc...

_raVen_

I saw Clerks 2 last weekend...what some would think of Clerks 2 in terms of sexism and the beastiality...

Could you see it and give me your review some time raVen?

Okay, Jay, I saw Clerks II.

My thoughts on the bestiality issue, regarding this movie are that, yes, it is a bad thing.

We've all gotten the spam emails about horses and teen girls, blah, blah, (and I venture that most are repulsed by it, rightfully), but who knows how many actually click on them?

Will this movie make more prone to do so? I don't really know, because I can't know; but I can hypothesize and opine, based on our tendencies of curiosity, our past with media influences, and our desire for the forbidden, and our lack of consciousness of animal abuse, sentience, and degredation in general. And so I say, yes, it makes it more likely than not.

If there are teeny-bopper chick flicks, this is surely a pubescent, adolescent-humored boy flick. I suppose 30-somethings find it funny in a nostalgic kind of way; but I think that teenaged pimpled boys would be more influenced by it. Both scenarios do not bode well for the animals or Us.

This is probably the worst contexts in which to be exposed to an "ism" -- Set in a comical context (and it is funny) which not only makes us laugh despite ourselves, but also causes a complete disassociation from the vileness of its essence.

If it's funny -- a "joke" (interesting how this theme of this ridiculous notion of "taking back" a word "taking back" one's "power" by using offensive words keeps coming up around issues of discrimination, oppression and abuse...and how some people try to continually justify it when it suits them) -- then we're not horrified by it, nor even likely to consider what it truly is or truly means.

Ironically, this was also referenced and played out with the racist element in the movie; yet, of course the connection to the same type of thought process in regard to animals was not made.

So I don't believe we're better for it, having begun to chip away at this "taboo." My guess is, curious folks would be more likely to click on one of those emails or sites. The more desensitized to bestiality they become, just as they go out and buy video games which are based on violence and abuse on women without a thought -- "it's just a game" afterall, right? -- the more it becomes okay.

And this is real abuse: It's always been, but its gone from something naughty farm boys and the odd sicko did and didn't tell anyone, to easily accessed "entertainment," readily available for anyone to see. That alone makes it a dangerous trend. If it continues to be "funny," it will be even more prevalent and possibly "accepted."

So I guess this would rank as one for the prohibition argument, no Can't you see that coming? There already is a minority of people who advocate this now, employing the same "rights" as NAMBLA; so I don't see this as hyperbole.

Now, am I exaggerating the efficacy of this one film? Mmm, not really. But I do think this is a part of the whole realm of desensitivity toward all human and non-human animals which seems to be on a steady continuum.

Other than that, it was funny, Dude

Actually, I laughed more at this one, but liked the first one more...and neither rank on to my list of favorites. It's hard to enjoy a movie like this when views of "isms" are so strongly held. It's the same for me and other similar issues of race and sex. Yea, it's funny, but what is it doing to Us? Ya know?

Everyone knows or knew a Randall (?), though this one was pretty over the top, I think.

Now what are your thoughts on bestiality in regard to this movie?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine becoming desensitized to beastality and I guess it hadn't occurred to me that people could become somewhat desensitized thanks to this movie. But I guess they could. And it is abuse and the movie treats it like it's funny. So yes, it's not good.

I can understand that people will say, "Aw, just relax. It's funny. No one's going to go have sex with a donkey as a result..."

But I suppose someone probably will. As ridiculous as it seems, someone probably will.

True story: Here in WV, there was a boy out in a rural area who got in trouble for having sex with someone's farm animal. In court the grandfather of the boy said, "I don't understand why he'd do such a thing, he's got two pretty sisters....."

Anyway it was wrong of them to make fun of beastality.

-----------------------

I saw Sandler's Click the other day and it motivated me enough to have a big fight with my wife about using some of our savings on buying some music recording equipment. So it was a "life changing" movie.

I can't imagine becoming desensitized to beastality and I guess it hadn't occurred to me that people could become somewhat desensitized thanks to this movie. But I guess they could. And it is abuse and the movie treats it like it's funny. So yes, it's not good.

I can understand that people will say, "Aw, just relax. It's funny. No one's going to go have sex with a donkey as a result..."

But I suppose someone probably will. As ridiculous as it seems, someone probably will.

You may have misunderinterpreted me . I don't think this one film will undo the world; it's a part of the desensitivity to inter-species -- what was it? -- sex.

In other words, it becomes more and more simply "entertainment"; therefore, creating the demand, and those ready to supply it. I'm sure some will try it; but I think right now the issue of it as entertainment and "fun" are the biggest threat. Just like raping of women, killing them, etc., is every night tv entertainment.

True story: Here in WV, there was a boy out in a rural area who got in trouble for having sex with someone's farm animal. In court the grandfather of the boy said, "I don't understand why he'd do such a thing, he's got two pretty sisters....."

Well, I can understand the grandfather, don't be such a prude, Jay: Women, like animals are objects for our use after all.

-----------------------

I saw Sandler's Click the other day and it motivated me enough to have a big fight with my wife about using some of our savings on buying some music recording equipment. So it was a "life changing" movie.

Explain, My Dear, I don't understand.

You may have misunderinterpreted me . I don't think this one film will undo the world; it's a part of the desensitivity to inter-species -- what was it? -- sex.

In other words, it becomes more and more simply "entertainment"; therefore, creating the demand, and those ready to supply it. I'm sure some will try it; but I think right now the issue of it as entertainment and "fun" are the biggest threat. Just like raping of women, killing them, etc., is every night tv entertainment.

Yes, I understand; desensitizing them to interspecies sex. Beastality is the wrong word also.

-----------------------

Explain, My Dear, I don't understand.

OK. Sandler starts fast forwarding through all the boring/or disagreeable parts of his life with his magic universal remote. When he's fast forwarding his body is just on auto-pilot. He accidentally fast forwards through a decade here and there and suddenly his whole life has been wasted.

So it got me to thinking about how I'm 33 and I still haven't accomplished much. For some reason in particular it got me to thinking about my music. I've written some music but I put it on hold until I could afford some decent technology for a home recording studio. Year after year has passed and I've never had the money.... But actually we really have some decent savings now. My wife is just.... always scared about ending up destitute. But I'm going to spend like 5 to 8% of our savings now on some recording equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I saw Little Miss Sunshine. Heard it was worth seeing, but just got to it. I hate the title, which turned me off, I admit.

I really enjoyed this a lot. I thought the characters were all very good. Good one to rent.

Some others I've seen this past year:

History of Violence-Good

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada-Excellent

Capote Good

Shopgirl Okay

Miller's Crossing Good

TransAmerica Good

Maria Full of Grace Good

Hustle and Flow Liked this despite a few issues I have with like films in general - Good

Wedding Crashers - Good

Grizzly Man- Good

Old Boy Good

Born Into Brothels - Good

The Weeping Camel - Excellent_Among my favorites of all time

Real Women Have Curves - Good

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-Very Good

The Constant Gardener-Good

The Man From Elysian Fields- Pretty Good

The Lord of War-Good

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched The Machinist (starring Christian Bale). I thought it was excellent, I don't really have any criticism of it, only a couple of small things. I don't have many assumptions when I watch a film, but once I get like half way in, I guess I start to form opinions of what the film is about and where it's going etc. But the film seemed pretty original to me, and it's great to watch 2nd time to catch the more subtle things, which kind of made me shiver a little that I had missed them initially, almost subliminal.

The Machinist is a kick butt movie.

I watched Pan's Labyrinth last night. Awesome.

Children Of Men is good.

Last Samurai is good.

Zatoichi is good.

Tom Yum Goong and Ong Bak are both awesome.

Borat was hilarious

Apocalypto was kinda eh but a good movie. If you've seen it you'll know what i mean. I don't want to ruin anything though.

I can't remember if I've already said so here before but I really like apocalyptic, "end of the world / life as we know it" type movies - they make me feel all warm & fuzzy inside!

I recently watched what is probably my favorite all-around movie: "28 Days Later" - http://www.ifilm.com/player/?ifilmId=2464659&pg=&skin=tomatoes&refsite=6081&launchVal=1&mediaSize=default

I wont give too much away but it's set in England, it's as much about human relations as it is about gore & adventure & it's all because of animal experimentation.

On a related note, one of my other favorite movies is also set in England -

Shaun of the Dead: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shaun_of_the_dead/trailers_player.php?IGNMediaID=1180093&playerType=playlist

• 1 month later...

I just got Borat on DVD in the mail a day before it is released. My brother got an early copy from Amazon and sent it to me for my birthday. It has about 30 minutes of extra footage so I can't wait to watch it!

I'm out of town all day tomorrow but hope to see it before going to L.A. on thursday.

Here are some of my favorite movies, some are pretty full on, but they all had an impact on me.

Romper Stomper

Once were Warriors

Candy

Requiem for a Dream

Donnie Darko

Series Seven: The Contenders

Boy's Don't Cry

Nuovo Cinema Paradiso

Europa Europa

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I like plenty of fun movies as well, and this is only a sample of movies I like.