Cleanses

I read that one symptom that you may need a liver cleanse is when you are always irritable. Apparently irritability builds up in the liver.

I am thinking about doing varioous organ cleanses, but the stuff/pills/whatever you buy from the health food stores to do these cleanses - I hesitate to buy them and do these cleanses because I just dont know if that shit really does what it says it does or if all they are selling us is snake juice.

Anybody have any thoughts, experiences, opinions, knowledge, experience, did I mention experience, with these various cleanses for which you pick up flyers from health food stores?

Thanks.

I've been a little lazy but I like to do a three-four day fast/cleanse every month...I normally just stick to water and tea(Yogi Tea Peach DeTox and Arbonne Detox tea...they are a new company in the us from switzerland...completely vegan and they have a bunch of great things checkem out). Super gross but I've occationally used DEVA VEGAN COLON CLEANSE(thats how its spelled on the bottle to emphasize its power I guess)...anyway the pills help with ridding you of those last droppings sorry had to do it. I actually start my cleanses right after a long ride then I don't eat and water log my body as much as I can take...then the next morning I ride 50 miles(which isn't so bad since I still have calorie storage at that point)...then the next three days I do 35 mile rides at a really relaxing pace as to not kill myself. Everytime I've done it I've felt incredible...especially after those 3three days of working food back in your diet. Once you get on your regular diet again its amazing. Oddly one time I felt so good on one of my fasts I went 8 days...riding my bike on each of those(this was in December)...I wound up having to force myself out of the fast because I felt so incredible I didn't want to stop. I think I could have went another 3-4 days if I wasn't tired of not having intense training sessions.

Bigbwii seems to have done several types of cleanses. He even posted pictures of the gallstones he passed during a gallbladder cleanse. You can find the info for it at www.embassyofheaven.com . Since the gallbladder is connected to the liver, doing the gallbladder cleanse would also help the liver. It's basically just drinking apple juice for several days (to help soften the stones), then doing a flush with olive oil and lemon juice, which will cause the stones to be expelled. (Directions are on the website, and they have a booklet of natural cleanses that you can do).

Just posted on this over at VF.net:

I usually feel and/or see a big difference when doing different detox's such as fasting, herbal tea's, raw, etc. I have not ever used any of these for weightloss purposes - just for generally helping my body cleanse. When I do deeper cleanses, my body definitely gets rid of a lot of junk and I feel more energized. A personal favorite is to gulp down a lot of water (as much as I can handle) when I first wake up. I usually just drink plain water but adding some lemon and/or mint makes it easier for many folks to down more water and both lemon & mint are considered to be cleansing.

I did an off the cuff gallbladder flush (my 3rd one) last night and heres the results.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2203/ava581916wr.th.jpg

Hardly anything at all compared to the first time.

It was interesting because I din't feel as worn out as I have done in the past.

Here's my results of my first ever flush.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1250/ava0360ws.th.jpg

Sounds like a party I guess your not going but maybe at the vegan vacation we can have some type of cleansing competition

***I bet you were really exited when you found the dime as well:)

Your right...I couldn't tell before...I'm in disbelief of what your capable of...I discover a new physical accomplishment from you on a daily basis

To answer the question about the pre-packaged cleanses sold in health food stores, yes they do work. They have a bunch of herbs in them that help with the specific cleanse that you are trying to do. Otherwise, you can try other fasts, like the Master Cleanse. It is really intense, but you do get results. I'm sure you have heard of it, the one where you only consume a mixture of lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup(and water, of course)for up to a month(we have only lasted 7 days on it!, but know people who have done it for a couple of weeks or more. You can also check out Linda Page's Healing book, it has a great area that has cleanse ideas for specific areas of your body(liver, skin, gallbladder, lung, etc, etc.). Her cleanses are a little bit more managable. Make sure to take the herbs milk thistle(silymarin)and dandelion. They help cleanse and support the liver. If you have never done a cleanse before, just realize that you may feel a little yucky, it's part of the process. You will be stirring up those toxins and eliminating them. Make sure that you are going #2 at least 3 times a day during your cleanse. If you aren't , take a laxative tea like Traditional Medicinals Smooth move(or try senna leaves, but not too much, they are very potent). And remember that it is totally worth it! It may be rough at times, but you will be glad you did it in the end. Good luck! (PS My wife and I do work in "one of those health food stores".......the products that are sold in natural food stores are very effective, no snake oil here! )

tdog(with a little help from his wife)

• 2 weeks later...

@Bigboy: I am thinking about doing a cleanse myself. But since there are so many different ways of cleansing and I have no specific health problem I am a little unsure what to do.

Maybe you can give me a short advice what cleanse I should do and how to do it. It should be short and easy to do