2006 Tour de France thread

Matt

I'll be watching...

I think I agree with Matt, that it will be between Ullrich and Basso... That said I think Basso might be hard to beat...

I'm hoping of course that Robbie McEwan wins the green and that the other Aussies do well...

Hopefully Cadel Evans (Ex Mountain bike world Champ, so being a Mountain biker I have to go for him) can finish in the top 10...

I'm expecting Basso or maybe even Floyd Landis...I think in terms of potential Ulrich has the best shot but is he willing to climb with Basso every day...I don't know. My long shot(really long shot) and favorite is Zebriskie. He's a great personality and I'd love to see him win but I don't think he's up to it just yet.

I've been holding my tongue on this one, but I gotta say that Valverde I think has an outside chance. He's done well earlier this year in the classics and I just read that he's increased his endurance a bunch copying Lance Armstrong's riding style. I've used that style since the late 80's (high cadence, lower output per stroke), and I live by it. Plus he stayed with Armstrong on the climbs last year until his knee went.

I think after Basso, he could be the next dominant force in the Tour de France in a few years.

Now the tours gonna be slow and boring now that all the cyclists that are left are clean I seriously doubt more than half of the pelaton riders are clean...let alone the leaders. As an elite track athlete I just had to accept it...even in HS about 1/3 of my elite competitors were dirty by the time they were 18 and it surely increased in college.

Edited by Anonymous

Very true. I'm not in denial about it. Just amazing that just about *all* the top favorites seem to be implicated. I always saw Basso as a classy, respectable rider. Also thought that about Tyler Hamilton. I actually still do. Well, images are made to be shattered...

Classy is different for them...they know everyone else it taking and if nobody was the results would likely be about the same in these races so I still look at Basso as classy amongst the feild. Its too bad it has to be that way but its too late to change it without manditory spinal taps...which is the only real way to tell if people are doping in the off season along with hair tests but then you can cut your hair short.

Out of the real shot people Hincapie is my fav too...but I'd still love to see if Zebriske can hold up for the hole tour up and near the top and maybe be a cinderalla story rider.

1. Floyd Landis

2. George Hincapie

3. Dave Zebriske

4. Alahandro Valverde

5. Mickael Rasmussen if they can get him new bikes fast enough for the TTs

6. Levi Leipheimer

I'd be pretty pleased with either of them taking it...I think I'd like George to win a little more though since he's done so much work to get Lance to win.

Hopefully he'll hold up to that...we've got a bunch of guys on our team still complaining about their bets...some with $200 and more on Ulrich and Basso as winners. Its a pretty heated issue but I see it as part of sports...its like signing any athlete that could get hurt...they can get hurt at any time...and since most of them are dirty you've gotta assume they can get caught at any time.

Hopefully he'll hold up to that...we've got a bunch of guys on our team still complaining about their bets...some with $200 and more on Ulrich and Basso as winners. Its a pretty heated issue but I see it as part of sports...its like signing any athlete that could get hurt...they can get hurt at any time...and since most of them are dirty you've gotta assume they can get caught at any time.

I just hope Popovich is willing to put himself out there for Hincapie the way he and Hincapie did for Lance. I think thats the key to him taking it all...anyway I'm just being really sad right now becaus I don't have cable so I can't even see that yellow jersey...its purely concept to me right now