2006 Tour de France thread

Zebriskie is lookin good to me...I think he'll whip Hincapie and everyone else in the next TT...all he needs to do is stay in the top 15 in the mountains and I think he can leave with the jersey(not that thats an easy thing to do)

Zebriskie is lookin good to me...I think he'll whip Hincapie and everyone else in the next TT...all he needs to do is stay in the top 15 in the mountains and I think he can leave with the jersey(not that thats an easy thing to do)
Yeah, he's been weak in climbing in past years, but this Tour isn't as brutal as year's past. Should be very interesting.

I think he'll be fine so long as he stays ahead of the slow climbing pelaton...if he can manage to keep up with the weaker climbers and get the bonus time of winning a stage other than a tt he'll be set

Holy moly! Time trial just finished and most the favorites finished WAY down. Leipheimer lost 6 minutes! Landis did the best, finishing 1:01 back for second place, but Gonchar (who won) is not too bad a climber. We'll see.

I gotta pick Landis now...Rogers is up there, too.

What a weird day this has been in the Tour.

Thank Goodness I have no Television...if I did something surely would have gone right through it. Now I'm just waiting for things to shake up in the mountains so those damn sprinters get out of the top ten and fall back 45 minutes the way they are supposed to.

Sheesh...four T-Mobile's in the top 6? And that's without Ullrich...amazing...

General Classification:

1 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile 30.23.20

2 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak 1.00

3 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-Mobile 1.08

4 Patrik Sinkewitz (Ger) T-Mobile 1.45

5 Marcus Fothen (Ger) Gerolsteiner 1.50

6 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile

7 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Caisse d'Epargne 1.52

8 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto

9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 2.00

10 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC 2.03

Landis Up top...lets see how long he can stay up there. He's gotta quit getting flats...I think he's had three already Also looks like Hincapie and Zebriski are out but Rasmussen is still in it...he's 18minutes back but if he can pull an ass kicking stage like he did last year he could more than knock that in half with just one stage if he goes out with another good climber. It probably won't happen but you never know. All this action is making me go nuts without a TV

I'm surprised about Menchov actually. I think Landis will be up there. My new top 3 for the finish will be:

1. Landis

2. Cadel Evans

3. Andreas Kloden

Kloden's improving each stage and says he'll probably peak in the Alps, but he has making up to do. All three of these are good time trialists, and there's more of that to come. Dessel: not strong enough, Menchov: too inconsistent, Sastre: wild card...

Shaping up to be interesting. I don't think Rasmussen will be able to get a big lead; the leading teams will work to protect, though Phonak and Davitamon appear to be weaker teams for the mountains...

With Landis doing so good I think its gonna take something bad to knock him off. Even with todays stage...surely Peirero can't stay up there too long...as for my three I like Landis...and maybe Leipheimer and Popovic to round it off if I could have it my way

I agree. Can't believe he would be dumb enough to do that knowing full well the winner of the stage is tested. Stuff just doesn't add up. He was tested six other times and was negative. I'm also not entirely sure--including in past Tours--that there isn't an easy way to tamper with the results. Who knows what happens there.

Doping is around, but we'll have to wait and see. I hope he clears. The excitement of this Tour...erm..brought back the excitement to cycling.

I hope the can of worms *does* get opened. I almost feel that some of the limits could be arbitrary as well. Who knows how many natural athletes are being banned because limits are what they are.

The process also needs to speed up (or keep quiet) to keep the scandals at a minimum.

Don't know if any of this is possible.

Just read the interview with him today. He fully expects the second result to be positive. Interesting. I guess he figures he has a naturally high testosterone count, and that it went up on just one day.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still holding onto a shred of hope that there is some rational explanation for all of this. Last year Lance Armstrong was accused of doping, and an independent investigator found evidence of tamering/spiking of samples and weak testing protocol. Perhaps a similar thing happened to floyd?

Lance was dirty too...just better at hiding...I think if anyone is clean its a couple of the domestiques or maybe a sprinter or two(and probably none of the good ones).