Vegan food in the USA

Gym hater

In the fall I'll be attending college in the USA. I've never been in the USA so I need some advice. Which vegan food brands should or shouldn't I buy? There should be one of those large supermarkets near where I'll be staying.

I'll need:

- Chips

- Energy bars

- Bread

- Microwave food

- Chocolate

- Chocolate paste

- Chocolate sprinkels

- Margarine

- Cookies

- Donuts

- Soda's and other beverages

I guess all the stuff like soy milk and peanut butter are always vegan, so I'll probably be able to find that. But if someone could help me out with a list of vegan foods that would be great. Also any food suggestions would be welcome.

There's a lot of vegan breads, that's not too hard to look for. As for the rest, I don't really know because I'm not that big of a junk food person, but unless you're on the West Coast of the USA you might have difficulty finding some of that stuff.

Where will you be going to school?

Most of the larger grocery stores on the east coast have a natural foods section, where you can find some vegan frozen dinners, vegan margerine, energy bars, and natural sodas. Chips - do you mean American chips or British chips (what we call french fries)? Most (American) chips are vegan anyway, but you can find more natural versions in this section as well. I don't know what chocolate paste is (Nutella?), but vegan chocolate shouldn't be a problem either.

I think you have a good chance of finding a lot of vegan food in the local grocery store since you will be in a college town. I work in a college town, and although the local grocery store is small, I can find most of the things on your list there.

Vegan donuts are another story though. I have only found them in my natuarl food store, and that was only once over the last few years.

I meant the chips/crisps, not the french fries. Also I'll be close to Madison WI, so there will probably be some natural food stores there. I'll look for the natural food section if there is one of those massive american supermarkets.

I meant the chips/crisps, not the french fries. Also I'll be close to Madison WI, so there will probably be some natural food stores there.

I did my graduate studies in Madison. It's got lots for vegans (including an active animal rights group...but I haven't kept in touch for several years, so don't know if they are still going). There are several food coops that are very vegan friiendly, as well as several veg*n restaurants.

(That is, when you are looking for something more than 'vegan junk food'!).

Veganessentials has a store in Milwaukee, which is about 3 hours away from Madison.

For packaged foods, Health Valley and Fantastic Foods make great vegan soups/chilis. Some Amy's soups are vegan, and they have an organic line. If you can find a vegan or vegetarian store, you can probably find lots of vegan snacks/junk food.

Silk Soy Milk is my favorite, and they also make a cultured Soy (ie vegan yogurt) that I like, much better than other brands.

Goya makes canned beans, then I would recommend finding a co-op type grocery store or a whole foods that will sell bulk grain, wheat germ, nuts, dried fruit, etc, and maybe a local farmer's market too-

-Joel