Should I do pushups or bicep curls the same day as Pullups?

So I got my everlast chinning bar today, and I am wondering how to adapt my routine-

1. Should I do pullups the same day as biceps and pushups, or rotate? I can do lots of even, slow incline pushups, but pullups, it seems like about 6,5,4,3 at the moment, having just started.

2. Should I combine different types of pullups on the same day, like pullups (wide, over grip, right?) and chinups (under grip?)?

3. What is optimal number of days to work out the same muscle group, 2 per week? Every other day?

4. Should I go running the same day I do upper body, or rotate?

Thanks,

Joel

PS- I read a thread on pullups below, do pullups actually work the chest, or just biceps, triceps and shoulders?

Edited by joelbct

Once you really get into your routine (if you have any volume at all) pullups/chinups will not work the biceps hardly at all (contrary to the most popular current training lore). At that point it doesn't matter what day you do curls. In the beginning probably should do them on the same day.

Doesn't matter on the running. Just get consistent with something.

Optimal rest can be every other day or twice a week. I'd say the best range is somewhere in there except maybe legs and especially deadlifts may need more rest. It is definitely possible to hit a bodypart every other day, even if it's still sore from last time. It's just a matter of consistency and getting your body used to it. (Work into it slowly.) With less rest you'd eventually reach a point where there just won't be soreness. Only do it once a week and each time you'll probably get sore....

???1. Should I do pullups the same day as biceps and pushups, or rotate?

You can do a push-pull type of workout, working the back and chest on the same day (and doing shoulders and arms another day), but that's working two big muscle groups the same day, so if you aren't getting the results you like with it, you might want to split up chest and back and do them on separate days, to give more energy to each.

You could also alternate a 'pulling' upper body workout (with back and biceps) with a 'pushing' upper body workout (with chest, shoulders and triceps, in that order... going from largest muscle group to smallest). This is a good split, IMO, because doing chins and back work does involve the biceps to some extent (chins work the biceps more than pull-ups), and chest work involves the shoulders and triceps as well.

Or vary between the two, and see which works best for you. Try the push-pull for several weeks, then the alternating "push-day/pull-day" for a few weeks, for example.

????2. Should I combine different types of pullups on the same day, like pullups (wide, over grip, right?) and chinups (under grip?)?

Definitely, to hit the muscle in different ways, and to make things more interesting!

Be careful of doing too-wide pull-ups, though, as they can be risky on the shoulders (YMMV).

>>>3. What is optimal number of days to work out the same muscle group, 2 per week? Every other day?

It depends on what your goals are, and also somewhat on your body type. For hardgainers (ectomorphs), hitting the weights hard and having longer recovery usually works better. For mesomophs, who gain muscle more easily, less recovery may be necessary.

It also depends on what you are doing now. If you are hitting each muscle group 3 times a week (as beginners often do, doing a full-body workout 3x a week) then you could benefit by going to working out each group 2x/week, with perhaps an upper/lower body split.

If you are already working out each muscle group 2x/week, then doing a 3-or 4-day split might be beneficial.

Even when you aren't working out a specific muscle group, if you are doing a workout for a large muscle group (lower body, chest, back), then you are encouraging your body to increase growth hormones and grown, so it's important that if you do hit each body part only once a week, it's not just in one or two workouts, but spread out more during the week. Though it may work differently for each iindividual.

>>4. Should I go running the same day I do upper body, or rotate?

That seems fine to me. It''s definitely better than doing lower body and running on the same day, unless you want to do a 'light' lower body workout or a 'light ' run, but that wouldn't be the most effective, IMO.

>>>>PS- I read a thread on pullups below, do pullups actually work the chest, or just biceps, triceps and shoulders?

I just read a blurb in Muscle and Fitness Hers that said that chin-ups work 20 different muscles (to some degree---but they didn't specify which ones, and I'm sure they must be dividing the back up into all the smaller muslce, like rhomboids, lats, traps, etc.). Pull-ups work mostly lats, but also involve the biceps, core, posterior shoulder. They may also involve the chest or triceps or front delts, but more for stabilization (?) and minimally. Chins work the biceps more than pull-ups, which is one reason why they are easier to do (I can do 1 3/4 unassisted chins---whooppee!, but I can't do an unassisted pull-up....yet!)

Once you really get into your routine (if you have any volume at all) pullups/chinups will not work the biceps hardly at all (contrary to the most popular current training lore).

Is this true even when using a close underhand grip ?

Once you really get into your routine (if you have any volume at all) pullups/chinups will not work the biceps hardly at all (contrary to the most popular current training lore).

Is this true even when using a close underhand grip ?

For me, yes.

I say as long as you are making gains, and aren't burning yourself out, train as often as possible. If you feel yourself starting to slow down, then pull back and rest. The exact number of times you can workout per week differs per person. But if you're working multiple muscle groups in each workout, then yeah twice a week is a good number for a lot of people

Chinups and pullups hit my biceps. Pullups hit my forearms too

I'm with Will on this one....

You can vary your intensity to match your needs and pick your rest days as you see fit...

It's all about learning about your body and what it can handle.

I'm working out with a full body bodywieght routine 5x's a week.

Pullup and chins get my biceps/lats good!!!!