How long have you been vegan? (chart)

robert

How long have you been vegan? I know we have other threads, but let's make a chart here. This isn't to show that some are better than others for being vegan longer, but just to get to know more about each other and we can tell who is new to veganism and who has been vegan for 20 years. We'll all have a variety of life experiences to share.

I think we can learn from others based on different experiences.

Anyway, for those interested, as of July 2006, how long have you been vegan:

robert = 10 years (December 8, 1995 vegetarian, a few months later Vegan)

Feel free to reply and as replies come in, I'll start the chart in this initial thread.

1. loveliberate---------14 years

2. robert---------------10 years

3. PETACANABIS-------5 years

Edited by robert

daaaaamn 14 years??? you getting enough protein and b12??? because people are saying vegans are deficient in those two, along with tons of other, nutrients

I've heard that! But I've never worried that much about either and seem to be doing just fine...

They are not forum members but I thought I'd mention that my wife has been vegan for just a couple of years less than me. Our kids have all been vegan since before birth. The oldest is now 8 and they are all doing just fine!

Vegan was not as clear-cut of a transition as vegetarian, for me.

I've been a vegetarian for almost 30 years (30 years come this fall), and actually 'almost vegan' dietarily from very soon after that but I finally gave up the 'traces of whey and egg whites' around 10 years ago.

I went vegetarian March 1, 1991- I believe I went vegan in the spring of 1996...like someone else mentioned, the carnivore to (lacto-ovo)vegetarian transition was more significant for me. Once I became vegetarian I was more aware of the repercusions of my food choices so I was (am) constantly trying to modify my diet choices. For me, March 1, '91 was the big day...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vegetarian 21 years (since birth)

& whole foods Vegan 11 years now..

Raw Vegan for about 3 of those years and counting..

I should probably also add, most of my vegan life has been without

supplements, and I've never had a deficiency.