Hi,

As I live in Europe, it 's hard to get my hand on vegan protein bars. I just ordered some clif bars in the States. I would like to order Vega bars and Organic Food bars (especially they are a goof alternative to soy protein) but considering the fact that I paid around 50$ of shipping for 72 bars and that both of them are around 50% more expensive than the clifs, it turns out to be pretty expensive.

What are your experiences with these bars and do you think they are worth the price?

Is there any online shop you could recommend to me? (I ordered the clifs at bodybuilding.com because they have the most advantageous international shipping rates. Other shops wanted 90$ for shipping!!)?

Thx in advance for your answers!

Look for a shop willing to ship USPS. The rates will be lower and the customs/brokerage fees not as steep as UPS, FedEx or DHL.

I get mine from Vegan Essentials, as I love supporting their company. I don't know if they are the least expensive, but they have a case discount. You would have to check with them to see if they ship Internationally.

I think Vega bars are infinitely superior to Clif bars. Clifs are pretty high in sweeteners, and have isolated soy. Vega are all raw food based, and based on hemp protein.

But since these are all so expensive, what about making your own? There's at least one recipe in Brendan Brazier's "Thrive" (he's the one who invented the Vega bar and drink mix) for some bars. It might be easier to find the raw ingredients locally than to find ready-made bars.

How do you like the clif builders bars? I just got them and like them a lot.

I wonder how to plan the best moment to eat the clifs. I think that normal clif are good as a pre-workout snack. But for the buiders I dunno. I ate one yesterday before sleeping, thinking that it could feed the muscular reconstruction during the night, but I dunno...

I've never had any problems eating any of them and for a time I had a laundry basket full of them(actually it was higher than level) thanks to EBAY. Now I'm less than half full but I'm not really eating them for know because I'm mostly raw until the heats gone. I ate them before/during/after intense training sessions and never had any trouble...this goes for Clif, Luna(yes I eat luna bars), and Builder Bars.

• 2 months later...

I recently got addicted to Clif bars. They give me energy and fill me up pretty good. I find them easily at Trader Joes and Whole Foods, they are not to expensive either. I saw some all raw bars at Whole Foods, but they were smaller and more expensive than the Clif bars.

I would try Vega bars, but I don't want to really order them online, and they seem a bit expensive for me.

They are pricey but there's reason behind it...the whole bars pretty much sprouted so preps gotta be terrible to manage...plus think about the time and space...plus production is also very low in comparison...nothing is gonna make it cheaper other than buying them. I remember paying nearly $2 for normal Cliff bars when i first turned vegan and now I can get them in stores nearly anywhere for $0.99 and often cheaper than that. VEGA will surely come down but people need to buy it...I figure in two or three years...if they grow at the rate they're growing now VEGA will be under $2 a bar. And I must say...no bar gives me even close to the same energy boost as a VEGA bar does at the end of a 4-5hr bike ride...plus they're actually healthy...I would never call a cliff bar healthy...just good for energy

Making your own will be a chore...and probably be pretty bland...you can't get them in Richmond but you can buy them in Norfolk(the only place in VA to buy them)...I'll let you try mine though