Vegan goes for State Powerlifting record

I mentioned before my vegan friend is going for a powerlifting world record soon. He's going for the Oregon State record this Saturday in the deadlift.

I'll introduce him soon. He lives near my town and I see him about every week. I've sent him interview questions so hopefully we'll get an interview and photos soon.

But anyway, I'll be attending the powerlifting event on Saturday and I'll report back with photos and a recap and hopefully a new state record on his way to world records in the future.

If anyone wants to go, here is some general info, I took it from the entry form my buddy sent me:

http://www.wabdl.org/

WABDL® HOUSE-OF-PAIN World cup BENCH PRESS and dead lift

CHAMPIONSHIPS

Sheraton Airport Hotel 8235 Airport Way, Portland, OR 97220

Saturday, July 15, 2006

CONTEST TIMES: Saturday, July 15th : Times are approximate and a final schedule of events, based on the number of contestants, will be posted in the weigh-in room and printed in the program. Lifters are responsible, as always, for checking regularly on the progress of flights and being on time for their flights.

RULES BRIEFING: 8:15 A.M.

All Lifters of the Day

Bench Press:

9:00 A.M.

All Women Benchers

9:45 A.M.

Teen Men and Junior Men

10:30 A.M.

Law/Firemen, Class 1 Men, Special Olympian and Disabled Men

11:15 A.M.

Submaster Men and Open Men

12:15 P.M.

Master Men

1:15 P.M.

Trophy Presentation for All Benchers of the Day

Dead Lift:

2:15 P.M.

All Women Dead Lifters, Teen Men and Junior Men

3:00 P.M.

Law/Firemen, Class 1 Men, Special Olympian and Disabled Men

3:45 P.M.

Open Men and Submaster Men

4:30 P.M.

Master Men

5:15 P.M.

Trophy Presentation for All Dead Lifters of the Day

WEIGHT CLASS CHANGE: You may change your weight class until July 1, 2006. Call Gus Rethwisch at 503-901-1622 or

763-545-8654.

HOTEL INFORMATION The hotel address is 8235 Airport Way, Portland, OR 97220. Rooms are $83. Mention the WABDL National Bench Press and Dead Lift Championship for this special rate. For reservations call the Sheraton Airport Hotel at (503) 281-2500. The hotel will NOT accept reservations for this event after June 24th at this rate, NOR CAN THEY GUARANTEE THAT ANY ROOMS WILL BE AVAILABLE AFTER THIS DATE.

http://www.wabdl.org/

P.S. I don't know the cost to get in so I'll try to call Wed or Thurs and then report back.

Those in Portland, OR and have Saturday free should come and check it out and support an elite vegan athlete who will be moving some serious weight!

Awesome event! I spent the entire day at a powerlifting event with 3 other vegans.

I'll give an update soon.

There were about 5 world records set (within the federation) and there were some insanely strong people.

Such as a teenage girl deadlifting 507 lbs! She was like 15 or something and cleared 490-something or 501 and nearly got 507, which would have been the best by a female ever in that federation.

There were also 90-lb girls deadlifting over 300 lbs.

I'll give an update on my vegan friend who was going for a state and possible world record.

Good times. I lifted hard that night after watching it all day.

There was a guy there who benches over 900 lbs! Man, this powerlifting stuff is crazy, but fun!

Good call I totally forgot about it.

So, my vegan buddy went for the state and possibly the world record in the deadlift.

He is a former bench presser and at bodyweight of around 160 pressed over 400 pounds.

He only trained for 2 months getting ready for the deadlift, something he has never competed in before..he's a bencher.

Anyway, he weighed in at 159 pounds (yet his arms are bigger than mine and Topher's combined). He is about 5'3" or something with huge muscles and probably 2% or 3% bodyfat (different than most powerlifters).

He started with 474 pounds and got that, then went up to 490, and got that, then attempted a State record of 508 (record for his weight class, remember he's only 159 lbs). He didn't quite get it. Then he attempted it again, and nearly got it. The world record, in that federation for his weight class is 513.

I think he still won 1st place, as nobody near his weight got even close to 490, probaly around 400 even was the next closest guy in that weight class.

We didn't stay for the awards because it was a long day and we had to be somewhere. davidtarrfoster came with me and other vegan guy was there too.

So, with another month of preparation, I'm sure he would have set the State and World records, but those will most likely come in his next contest. Wouldn't it have been funny if after only 2 months of training in deadlift and in his first deadlift contest, he set the world record... But it will come. He is a two-time world champion wrestler (not vegan back then) so he has the discipline and the work-ethic and heart to break all kinds of records in powerlifting.

He does all his lifts raw. Just the way he likes to do things. He'll most likely be the next sponsored athlete by Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness. We should have an athlete feature of him soon, if we can get it in time. He heads down to South America soon to help do non-profit work to improve conditions for people in some areas down there.

A total and complete class-act, he should be joining us for a day or two at the Vegan Vacation next month.