free range eggs...

Lovegenius

I was just wondering what you all think of eating free range eggs. Im an ethical vegetarian, and to the best of my knowledge free range eggs cause absolutely no harm to chickens. They are also my favorite food. Am I fooling myself or do I have a valid point with my egg eating?

LoveG,

No doubt there are places that actually treat the chickens fairly decently - though they are still domesticated &/or in some form of captivity - but those are not the same chickens who's "free-range" eggs you're likely getting at an average grocery store.

Even if the chickens were treated well and not harmed in any way, I would still advise against eating eggs as you dont need to do so and you can be as healthy or healthier without eating them.

So I think the real question is why would you want to eat the eggs?

Im an ethical vegetarian, and to the best of my knowledge free range eggs cause absolutely no harm to chickens.

Unless you have your own chickens that you rescued, there's no way to know what 'free range' means.

"Free Range" chickens are supposed to have 'access to the outside." Which usually means there is a door that gives access to a very small fenced-in area that few of the chickens can get into .

Also, many of the inhumane practices of chicken raising still go on with free range: debeaking ('necessary' because of the overcrowding which would cause the chickens to peck each other to death at times otherwise), the killing of male chicks (by suffocation or grinding alive in a machine).

eggs are a chickens period and they come out of a chickens butt yuck !!

They come out the butt?

Chickens have a single external "hole" that is used both for reproduction and waste removal.

Inside the hole, these two systems are separated.

When an egg is layed, the the reproductive section peeks out the external hole.

The egg shouldn't come in contact with the "butt" part of the hole and it's waste.

Lovegenius, you should check out Erik Marcus' book Meat Market. It is highly critical of free range eggs along the lines exactly what FormicaLinoleum is saying and puts forth quite a bit of disturbing evidence. Apart from that, I personally have made the choice not to eat eggs primarily because I'm am ed by the arrogant and "deniable" exploitation of animals for human consumption, period.

Apart from that, I personally have made the choice not to eat eggs primarily because I'm am ed by the arrogant and "deniable" exploitation of animals for human consumption, period.

I wanted to make that point myself, but wasn't sure how to word it. Basically, whenever people use animals as products, it's bad news. I think using animals in that way is completely incompatible with truly respecting animals and caring about their interests.

How do you prepare your eggs? I'll bet we can come up with great vegan alternatives.

I usually hard boil 3 of them and make a sandwich(with lettuce, mustard, and red peppers) for breakfast before a workout.

What would be a good vegan meal thats cheap and easy to make, thats high in protein and would be good for breakfast before a workout?

Someone was telling me about peanut butter and banana sandwichs...

Also if I cut out eggs, what foods should I eat more of to balance it out?

balance what out? lol..... just eat f00d d00d... dont concern so much about what you're eating and balancing and shit, your brain will just get more overworked then needed

I mean for protein and iron for my goal of getting big. And what foods should I eat more of? Because right now my diet consists of my egg sandwiches, falafels, veggie patty subs, and thai food...

Im certain my diet could be much improved, and if Im to cut eggs out I think that is a good place to start.

Well our neighbours bought Ex battery hens, they looks like little chewed up freaks on legs and went crazy in the grasses when they were set free to live with the other hens in the fruit orchids.. But they soon adapted and we would hug them! And we use to eat their eggs.. Then some creature from much higher in the food chain come along one night and…. And…

How about replacing the egg in your morning sandwich with a piece of tofu...? I replaced the egg in my 'dropped egg on toast' with a piece of tofu. I would cut it in quarters (so that each piece would fit on a piece of toast) and pan-fry the tofu in a little bit of oil with some spices (your choice, but I liked cilantro and cumin), then put the tofu on the toast.

One of my favorite breakfasts after a workout....

How about replacing the egg in your morning sandwich with a piece of tofu...? I replaced the egg in my 'dropped egg on toast' with a piece of tofu. I would cut it in quarters (so that each piece would fit on a piece of toast) and pan-fry the tofu in a little bit of oil with some spices (your choice, but I liked cilantro and cumin), then put the tofu on the toast.

And adding a bit of nutritional yeast and some tumeric gives a bit of 'eggy' flavor and color (well, at least for me, who hasn't had an egg in about 20 years ).