I HATE potato chips

vegdad

Potato chips are fine, and you can make your own dip. A nice onion dip from powdered onion soup and veganaise or tofutti sour supreme is good. I think the veganaise is good at least, been years since i tried such a concoction .

They are a great snack, and not as unhealthy as many people think.

Sounds like a rationalization for eating them.

I do like an occasional bag (yes, I can eat a whole bag, which is why I usually avoid them!) of fat-reduced potato chips (not the 'fat free ones' or the ones with Olestra', but a brand that has just potatoes and peanut oil as the ingredients.

They really don't have much nutritional value, though, and fried foods in general are calorie dense and nutrient poor.

The quality of chips has improved in the past years. Chips used to had a lot of rancy fatty acids in them, which where linked to cancer. Recently they examined the chips again, and there turned out to be no significant amount of those rancid fatty acids in the chips anymore.

Also the biggest part of the fatty acids in chips is unsaturated, and even some poly unsaturated.

You could try to do aversion therapy where each time you eat a chip, you DDT yourself onto a glass table. That way you will connect the feeling of being DDT'd onto a glass table with eating chips, so you will avoid it in future. That's what I did, and I never had any problems apart from all the glass in my eyes and skull fractures. But I certainly don't eat chips.

When I went on my health food craze a year after being vegan I gave up chips unless I baked them myself...but theres also taro chips(especially the ones with sweet potato, purple potatos mixed in) which I wouldn't eat now but I think they're fine if your not as anal as I am.

You could try to do aversion therapy where each time you eat a chip, you DDT yourself onto a glass table. That way you will connect the feeling of being DDT'd onto a glass table with eating chips, so you will avoid it in future. That's what I did, and I never had any problems apart from all the glass in my eyes and skull fractures. But I certainly don't eat chips.

I love our Ninja!

The Dill Pickle Chip Dip in How It All Vegan is fantastic with potato chips! It is tofu based. I suggest making it without the maple syrup.

The Lay's Baked chips are not too bad, especially if you are going to dip but I prefer to have chips as a treat so when I do eat them I go for the locally made full fat chips. They may be full fat, but they have way fewer ingredients than the baked Lay's.!

Sorry Guys, but potato chips are one of the worst foods for you! It's not just the fat and salt; it's the acrylamides which form from frying in oil and even baking, unfortunately. And starches are the worst!

The best way to eat cooked foods is to boil or steam; microwaving is acceptable, but not the best either.

Acrylamides form at 248-degrees; water boils at 212, so is safe.

Sorry! I would save them for super rare occasions or ditch 'em.

Also, be aware that barbecuing is also bad. Again, save it for special occasion, if at all.

Sorry Guys, but potato chips are one of the worst foods for you! It's not just the fat and salt; it's the acrylamides which form from frying in oil and even baking, unfortunately. And starches are the worst!

How about baked corn chips?

So wait, if even baking potatoes forms toxins, does that mean baked potatoes are out too? Or is it just something about potatoes and oil, and if so, is this all oil, or just high saturated and transfat oil?

Thanks,

Joel

So wait, if even baking potatoes forms toxins, does that mean baked potatoes are out too? Or is it just something about potatoes and oil, and if so, is this all oil, or just high saturated and transfat oil?

As far as i know, there are two main factors that promote the forming of toxins: 1.) the temperature - the higher the temperature, the more toxic the food; 2.) the absence of oxygen (as happens when you fry something: the fat blocks the oxygen from the food). Acrylamids form when fat and starches are heated together (or when starches are heated to very high temperatures) baked potatoes have low acrylamids, because they are not fried.

How about baked corn chips?

Thanks,

Joel

Yes, corn chips and baked potatoes with and without oils . Steaming and boiling are safest. If you want a baked-potato texture, you could microwave covered till almost soft, then uncover and cook for a minute or so to sort of dry it out; though, microwaving isn't out of the woods yet, in terms of safety.

Just don't cook them till really soft; keep them firm so they don't fall apart or get mushy. I don't boil often for this reason; I prefer steaming because they come out firmer and with flavor.

The higher the temperature, the worse it is.

In Dr.Fuhrman's, "Disease Proof" Blog - scroll to the seventh entry "Eating to Age Rapidly and Die Prematurely" (the archives are a goldmine), he mentions acrylamides in this entry.

As well, Dr. Fuhrman, who wrote "Eat to Live," advises against all processed foods which have been baked because of low nutrient density and acrylamides, such as cereals; peanut butter, roasted nuts/seeds, popcorn in oil, coffee, and some teas which are roasted are out too.

Dr.McDougall on Acrylamides.

So, yea, keep it for special occasions, if you can

... Is there something I don't know about my creamy yummy scrumptious peanut butter?

Yes, it's roasted. Raw peanuts are horrible, and not safe to eat, as I understand it (the ones used for peanut butter). All peanut butter is roasted.

I'm not sure, but I think Spanish peanuts can be eaten raw; but not sure how "raw" they are, meaning they may be steamed or something in the process. I've eaten them with no problem. But they do not taste like peanutbutter peanuts.

gymhater, just be careful! First gym hating, now this?!

Yes, it's roasted. Raw peanuts are horrible, and not safe to eat, as I understand it (the ones used for peanut butter).

I LOVE raw peanuts, and have never heard that they're not safe to eat?

They're much better than roasted, but very hard to get I always ordered them online, in my raw food days.

Yes, it's roasted. Raw peanuts are horrible, and not safe to eat, as I understand it (the ones used for peanut butter).

I LOVE raw peanuts, and have never heard that they're not safe to eat?

They're much better than roasted, but very hard to get I always ordered them online, in my raw food days.

Yes, I was referring to the ones used in peanut butter (taste horrible raw). As I mentioned, the Spanish peanuts I've eaten raw are okay. Of course none of them taste anywhere near as good as the roasted.

I have seen the raw peanuts sold by rawfood companies -- Jungle Peanuts, I believe, they are called -- haven't tried 'em; but I'm not sure I want to!

As far as not safe, it's the aflatoxins caused by a fungus; but, apparently, the latest is that it is such a rare occurrence that the peanuts sold in stores, raw (though they almost all recommend roasting) are safe for eating -- even the ones I referred to for peanut butter! So, go ahead and eat them raw, if you want

Not if they're baked, ronnie kray . These foods are just not optimal foods for health. If your diet is otherwise clean -- of course it is, right? -- then an occasional dalliance into the forbidden world of baked/fried won't kill ya. However, it is best to avoid these; I certainly do! I want to be as healthy as I can be

Btw, those kray brothers were a nasty twosome