being made fun of :(

Bloom

Have you ever been made fun of, or made to feel condescended / degraded because you are vegan?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have you ever been made fun of, or made to feel condescended or degraded because you are vegan?

Ive been called a lesbian, anorexic, rabbit, killing myself, messed up in the head. this may be hard ot believe but ti's true. I have been not 100% vegan this year, i live in a dorm and one of my floor mates said that people who eat like that have issues, i'm finaly ready not NOT CARE AND just live my life. but it has been a strugle for me to be vegan since the day i decided to give it a go. i was 15 or 16 then.

How are we vegans supose to cope with constant battering, esp if it's from people who we have to deal with everyday. I dont want to make some big deal out of it. i dont walk around with a McDeath shirt on or talk about animal rights. I just want to be left alone...

anyone got any stories?

sorry i just need a little encouragement here.

I'm 37 and I still am the butt of jokes, even within my family. I suppose it's a long path to enlightenment for many people, but my family is devoutly conservative in their ways. It can be irritating, but I just laugh it off. I think the important things to remember are:

1. You are a "spokesperson" for the vegan diet, and as such, your reaction to what people say in itself can potentially put a good face on animal rights and veganism. Confrontation is hardly ever useful in my experience.

2. People generally denegrate others because of insecurities they have with themselves. Criticizing vegans is easy likely because many people view it as "one of them". I usually laugh at these people because they are really showing how insecure they are, especially how steadfastly they defend eating meat.

For me it took some time to figure out a proper balance with other people, even when I was a vegetarian. That meant deciding what to say and not lecture meat eaters and putting a good face on veganism, and not talking about veganism unless the person I was talking to showed a genuine interest. Those who criticize or don't want to hear about it may never will.

The other thing is to find like-minded vegans, and visit sites like this will help support you on the way.

Hang in there!

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. None of my friends make fun of me, but I will encounter people at work or in other situations who make jokes about it. On the other hand, I also encounter people who react positively and see me as the "healthy person" at work.

I can't say I get anything major, just the oh so common "I'm gonna go have a big, juicy hamburger tonight" or "don't you know that carrots scream when they are pulled from the ground?" comments. But when one person does it over and over it gets pretty damn annoying. I just ignore the comments and keep on talking about whatever I was talking about or change the subject.

Bloom, you are doing the right thing, just do your best and try to ignore those people.

My family members and friends have been supportive.

I still get the question "Where do you get your protein?"

The only rude comments I get are from people that I don't know, so I don't care about them.

"don't you know that carrots scream when they are pulled from the ground?"

I like the sound of screaming carrots.

I also like the look on the face of the head of lettuce just before you take it's head off.

Their eyes bug out, but they make no sound.

Family are the only people who ever really say anything to me about it. They're kidding now but before it was a little more derogatory. Oh and of course jerks at protests but we're putting ourselves out there for it even though it shouldn't happen.

I don't really think people care...its part of being 1% of anything...no matter what we think its still weird in general to be vegan no matter how rational the lifestyle is because anything less than what is normal is seen as weird. It would be nice however to meet a vegan thats never experienced any negativity outside of people born in communes that have never left

2. People generally denegrate others because of insecurities they have with themselves. Criticizing vegans is easy likely because many people view it as "one of them". I usually laugh at these people because they are really showing how insecure they are, especially how steadfastly they defend eating meat.

I agree with this 100%.

I don't advertize my vegan-ness, but I will discuss it when I feel like I have the opportunity to have a positive exchange about it. I will not bring it up if I think it will be a point of contention. I totally respect and appreciate those who will openly express and debate their vegan-ness, but that route is just not for me.

A very important topic.

Thanks to this forum I am extremely confident about my lifestyle!

Thanks to this forum I am extremely knowledgable, extremely fit, extremely healthy.

Reading widely, expanding my knowledge, discussing issues on the forum, training hard, increasing my strength and size: all these factors give me confidence.

When it comes to explaining the issues to non-vegans, it's a question of tact ... and fact! Fact: some of the best athletes in the world are vegan, including natural bodybuilding world champion Alex Dargatz.

When I was younger I used to say to non-vegans "It's just my personal decision: I'm not saying that you have to be vegan, too." But now it's very much a case of: "I recommend you try it. I recommend that you visit goveg.com and veganbodybuilding.com. It is easier than you think. It is better for your body and it is better for the planet."

I've written more about this issue. I'll post more soon!

if they're laughing at you i just start laughing too and adding a lot of sarcasim to make them l00k st00pid.... like if they say "you cant get protein from plants" then i'd say "ya you're right plants have no protein im surprised im still alive actually" then i'd flex my guns

My mom will make stupid little comments to me but she doesnt like anything thats not status quo. Everyone else is respectful at least, and some folks are very impressed that muscle can be gained on a vegan diet. Consistency is also very important, you've heard about those people that drop meat or go vegan for maybe a few weeks or a year and will be at some restraunt and eat something (purposefully) they say they do not. That action sends the wrong message to folks, and you look like a liar, who can respect that?

Had my former boss go out of her way to describe herself being cruel to animals everytime I was around in an attempt to get a rise out of me so she could use that as a reason for firing me. She didn't get a rise out of me and surprisingly she didn't lie and say otherwise when she falsely accused me of everything else under the sun.

It can bug me, I guess I deal with it by just thinking 'this is how the world is right now' and then I can be sarcastic back to them if I feel like it, or flip out a bit and come down heavy on a chump who starts some crap with me. Belittle them back if they are being real intense on you. But just do what feels kind of comfortable with you if people are giving you a hard time. I don't like the attitude that vegans are meant to just sit back and take a bunch of shit from everyone because we're 'representing vegans and animals' and whatever. I can understand that it's not a good idea to get in people's faces and stuff, but if they bring it all on you for no reason, and are calling you names etc, I don't see how that does anyone any good to just sit there and take it. Obviously it isn't going to make them think about anything just by telling them to piss off, but at least you will have some dignity. I generally laugh AT people who give me a hard time, and compare them to cave people etc. I look at them as children who don't know what they're talking about.

I only ever snapped once, and all i could think of at the time was.

'you see i just dont want to have an obesity epidemic size ass like the rest of the world' i was about 18 and the smallest person in the room.

I felt bad, like i was calling them fat. but if they only felt me alone i woud not have said it. And if i sit quietly and take it all in i feel like i have no back up and there for am in the wrong..

I also have very conservative parents, it's always been potatoes, sausages and lots of creme in soup.

but i'm ok now.. i'll be fine, i'mm 22!! [/i]

I love getting bugged about being vegan, it's just a game really. I even join in the teasing, help them make fun of my dietary choices. I mean, really, what harm can they possibly cause us? OOOh look I'm a tree hugging, granola eating, wuss. So what? I am emotionally balanced and stable.

Maybe it's just me, but I really haven't had too many problems with people being threatened by my food choices. I don't push it on people, I don't go around announcing it to people. If people ask, I tell them, if they're curious, they'll ask more questions. Am I bothered by the sight of watching other people eat meat? not in the least, that's their choice. I don't have to cook it for them.

Maybe I just learned to shrug it off because of how I grew up. I was the fat kid, and I got teased alot, but once you let them know that nothing they say can hurt you, they usually leave you alone.

Besides! what doesn't kill us, will only make us stronger!

I love getting bugged about being vegan, it's just a game really. I even join in the teasing, help them make fun of my dietary choices. I mean, really, what harm can they possibly cause us? OOOh look I'm a tree hugging, granola eating, wuss. So what? I am emotionally balanced and stable.

Maybe it's just me, but I really haven't had too many problems with people being threatened by my food choices. I don't push it on people, I don't go around announcing it to people. If people ask, I tell them, if they're curious, they'll ask more questions. Am I bothered by the sight of watching other people eat meat? not in the least, that's their choice. I don't have to cook it for them.

Maybe I just learned to shrug it off because of how I grew up. I was the fat kid, and I got teased alot, but once you let them know that nothing they say can hurt you, they usually leave you alone.

Besides! what doesn't kill us, will only make us stronger!

It's not just you. I'm still a new vegan and I haven't joined in the teasing yet.

But I am starting to enjoy responding to the stupid questions people ask.

"Where do you get your protein?" is my favorite.

Maybe when I get some more muscles, they'll quit asking that question.

When the ridiculing starts I just say "OK" but nobody that I care about harassed me much.

I don't push it either, if they ask, I tell.

Most people seem more responsive to the health aspect of my diet.

Sadly, it seems that most people couldn't care less about the animals or environment.

Oh well, I started out just for my health, the animals and environment came later.

I recently spent 2 weeks with relatives, they ate the Standard American Diet and left me alone.

Everybody thought I was a vegetarian.

It was easier to let them be than explain it again.

How are we vegans supose to cope with constant battering, esp if it's from people who we have to deal with everyday. I dont want to make some big deal out of it. i dont walk around with a McDeath shirt on or talk about animal rights. I just want to be left alone...

"Vegan Freak" is a good book with some strategies for coping with situations like this.

It's all to common for vegans to be the butt of others mockery/teasing/jokes, even if you just want to mind your own business and don't make yourself conspicuous. Even without saying a word, we often seem to be a threat to those who eat the standard American diet, and they feel a need to bond with others of 'their kind' to rationalize the way they continue to eat. At least that's often what it feels like to me.

Our former secretary (overweight, now diabetic) used to somehow always start a discussion of some salad with bacon in (or something like that) at lunchtime, with the other, non-vegans, joining in saying how tasty it sounded.

But is seems like some of the reactions you've gotten are a bit over the top.

this is a funy one.. my grandmother once poured me a glass of home made cherry compot. and then agged milk to it and tried to convince me that it didnt have milk in it... this was like 2 years ago, i was 20... maybe i'm just very unlucky that i'm sourounded by anti vegans.. but appart from that theya re the most loving people ever... we get on great and everything is fuined when i dont eat their dinner and they get all ofended and it's always because 'i'm being difficult'

sigh