What Music gets you pumped up for training?

Rush

B-52's

Barrage

Craig Chaqico – amazing for bicycling

I don't seek out Vegan-friendly bands, but by coincidence, B-52's are mostly vegan.

The first 3 bands are also my favorite, and all making new CD's(and 2 bands are from the 70's).

After Christmas trying to explain to relatives there’s nothing wrong with a Vegan diet, I put on Rush's "communication" themed CD. Some lyrics:

Half the World -

Half of us divided

Like a torn-up photograph

Half of us are trying

to reach the other half

...other RUSH lyrics:

Ignorance and prejudice

And fear

Walk hand in hand

the things that we fear

are a weapon to be held against us

Xanadu -

To break my fast on honeydew

And drink the milk of Paradise

The odds get even

New World Man -

He's a rebel and a runner

He's a signal turning green!

YES! Can you feel the Rush?

Songs:

Mr. Hollands Opus

Magic Power

Rollin’ with the changes

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately

Wu-Tang Clan

Bring Da Ruckus

Protect Ya Neck

Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta F' Wit

Clan In Da Front

Clan in da front, let your feet stomp Niggaz on the left, brag shit to death Now hoods on the right, wild for the night Punks in the back, c'mon and

attract to...

The Wu is comin thru, the outcome is critical

Fuckin wit my style, is sort of like a Miracle

on 34th Street, in the Square of Herald I gamed Ella, the bitch caught a Fitz like Gerald ---- ine Ferraro, who's full of sorrow

Cuz the hoe didn't win but the sun will still come out tomorrow and shine

shine shine like gold mine

Here comes the drunk monk, with a quart of Ballentine

Pass the bone, kid pass the bone

Let's get on this mission like Indiana Jones, the GZA

One who just represent the Wu-Tang click

With the game and soul, of an old school flick

Like the Mack and Dolemite, who both did bids Claudine went to Cooley High and had mad kids so stop, the life you save may be your motherfuckin own

I'll hang your ass with this microphone

Make way for the merge of traffic

Wu-Tang's comin thru with Full Metal Jackets

God squad that's mad hard to serve

Come frontin hard, then

Bernhard Goetz what he deserves

The response while I bomb that ass,

"You ain't shit!" Your wack ass town had you gassed

Egos is somethin the Wu-Tang crush

Souped up niggaz on a stage get rushed

I don't give a god damn, on the shows you did

How many rhymes you got, or who knows you kid?

Cuz I don't know ya therefore show me what you know

I come sharp as a blade and I cut you slow

• 10 months later...
...some oldskool rap, MANTRONIX....

NOW BRING ON DA PAIN!!!!!!

Mantronix... YES!

Heres my faves to lift to...

Afrika Bambataa & The Soul Sonic Force

Bone Thugs N Harmony

Crucial Conflict

DJ Baby Anne

DJ Icey

Do or Die

Eminem

Freestylers

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five

Kool Moe Dee

Michael Jackson

Mystikal

Run D.M.C.

Tech N9ne

The Bar-Kays

Three 6 Mafia

Trick Daddy

Twista

And any other old school (and some new) electro breaks and jungle (Dieselboy)

Edited by Troy

I have an electric drumkit set up with words that Arnold Schwarzenegger has said on various part of the drumkit, so when I play, you hear him speak:

Kick Drum - "Clothes"

Snare Drum - "Boots"

Hi-Hat - "Motor Cycle"

Crash "I'll Be Back"

Ride - "Ja"

Toms - "Nein"

Actually I just made this up, but how good would that be?

I have an electric drumkit set up with words that Arnold Schwarzenegger has said on various part of the drumkit, so when I play, you hear him speak:

Kick Drum - "Clothes"

Snare Drum - "Boots"

Hi-Hat - "Motor Cycle"

Crash "I'll Be Back"

Ride - "Ja"

Toms - "Nein"

Actually I just made this up, but how good would that be?

That would be so awesome!

It's changed for me over the years. When I started lifting it was a lot of wacky electronica that I'd listen to on my way to train (I simply CANNOT lift with a CD player, MP3 player or anything else on - it doesn't work for me, but jogging was fine), then it was tons of Slayer and old Metallica (nothing after And Justice for All), then there was my teen punk revival with old DOA, Suicidal Tendencies, Youth Brigade, MDC, Subhumans and all the stuff I listened to in my early teenage years. Eventually it balanced out to be a lot of hip-hop and some older indie rock stuff thrown in for good measure, and recently a lot of good DJ stuff thrown in for good measure. On the journey to lift, I'll usually have on -

DJ Shadow

Mike Relm

DJ Spooky

DJ Jazzy Jeff (everyone still thinks Fresh Prince era, but he's actually one of the best hip-hop DJs in the world )

Jack Dangers

June of 44

Seam (just a few things, too slow otherwise to get in the mood)

Rodan

Versus

Unrest

Superchunk

U.N.K.L.E.

Pegboy

Misfits

Swollen Members

Ugly Duckling

Binary Star

Talib Kweli / Mos Def / Black Star

MF Doom (and any other alias he uses)

Sage Francis

Jurassic 5

Dialated Peoples

Cut Chemist

Organized Konfusion

Biz Markie

Public Enemy

Nas

Gang Starr

...and plenty more where that came from!

DJ Jazzy Jeff (everyone still thinks Fresh Prince era, but he's actually one of the best hip-hop DJs in the world )

Cut Chemist

Biz Markie

Public Enemy

Agree. I've got a DJ Spooky album but I rarely listen to it anymore, I picked it up about 6 years ago. Jazzy Jeff is up there with the best of em...

Agree. I've got a DJ Spooky album but I rarely listen to it anymore, I picked it up about 6 years ago. Jazzy Jeff is up there with the best of em...

Spooky is an odd man in that he's crossed so many different genres in his music and had so many unique projects, he's tough to like a lot without hearing a ton of different albums. Between techno-inspired work, ambient, dub/classic reggae, hip-hop and the other stuff, you never really know what you're going to hear next. He's excellent both with doing his own works as well as DJing other people's songs - not sure which album you have, but if you haven't heard Songs of a Dead Dreamer, Synthetic Fury or Modern Mantra, those are three I'd highly recommend picking up (the first two his own works, the third showcasing his abilities with other people's works.)

Jazzy Jeff is one of the people who got me back into hip-hop. I can't stand what passes for it on the radio, but hearing some of his old mixes brought back the memories of what I used to like about it by re-exposing me to the stuff I liked in the mid 90s. Not sure if you've heard Hip Hop Forever for any of the 3 volumes he's released, but they're fantastic (at least, 2 and 3, as I've been unsuccessful in tracking down the first one after a year of searching.)

• 1 month later...

I find I have my best workouts when I dont listen to music. When concentrating on the breathe, in and out...or each contraction of every muscle, I feel the "burn" much more the next day. I know theres some days where you just dont feel like working out and a good pump up song helps, but maybe we shouldnt be going to the gym if we really dread it that much. There are other FUN /Natural and productive ways of getting a good workout. Overall, I feel like I pay more attention and have better workouts when I dont have something blaring in my ears. You also cant strike up many conversations with headphones on.

The only time I do well with music is when im doing cardio for long periods of time.

I do tend to workout LONGER listening to music, but I waste so much mental energy getting "into" the music. I like to have no thoughts running through my mind when I workout, just focus on the goals.

So when I do listen to music, I like things w/o many lyrics, becase I tend to analyze the words without realizing it. Also another requirement, it must be motivating, POSITIVE music, no heavy metal or ganster rap, but thats just my take.

I know I didnt give any song reccomendations, but I always customize a new playlist based on how I'm feeling that day.

I put on Hot 108 Jamz from winamp shoutcast. Bubblegum pop influenced rap is something I find amusing to work out to.

I gotta try Rocky theme music and Rammstein... sounds like fun. I think I might burst to laugh if I try to pump hard while Eye of the Tiger in the background... so cliché!

• 1 month later...