What Music gets you pumped up for training?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Journey, Celine Dion, Lionel Ritchie, and Britney, of course Britney.

Seriously, though, I have to admit the nothing beats "Eye of the Tiger" for me. Speaking of which, your new avatar looks good Zack, but there's a part of me that will miss the Rocky image.

Mike

It's funny you mention that, Troy. After I submitted that post, I thought, "Man, I actually do like a lot of that stuff." Between you and me, and anyone else who comes across this on the Internet, Journey is actually one of my favorite bands. There was just so much heavy music being listed that I had to throw in a few of the more "mellow" bands and artists. You bring back some very cool memories by mentioning "All Night Long." I used to rock out to that when I was a kid.

Mike

I listen to news programs like NPR or Democracy Now. When I do listen to Music, its techno. I guess Im wierd.

I could see news programs getting me pumped for training, so long as they were talking about issues I am passionate about. NPR could get pretty iffy at times, since they talk about nearly everything. I don't really need much to get me pumped for training, as I learned how to train just as effectively without music after an airline smashed my MP3 player and I was forced to listen to top 40 radio. If I am feeling lazy, though, nothing does a better job for me than industrial.

I just found out that the World/Inferno Friendship Society is the best IMO to go to lift weights. Relaxed enough to let you go with your own rhythm, but with a fantastic energy. They are somewhere between punk rock, swing, circus music, nonsense and orchester. Nuff said.

When I'm feeling rebelious:

Propagandhi (Potempkin City Limits! politcally-charged vegans from Winnipeg)

Circle Of Dead Children (the ex bassist is a member on here)

Tragedy

World Burns to Death

Between the Buried and Me

Psyopus

When I want instrumental:

Pelican

Russian Circles

Mono

Explosions in the Sky

When I'm feeling gangsta:

MF Doom

Tame One

Cage

Yak Ballz

Bigg Jus (Poor People's Day...amazing album)

Hell Rell (of the Diplomats)

JR Writer (also of Dipset)

Prefuse 73

Nas (Illmatic)

When I want Nintendo Covers:

The Advantage

And a few pages back there was talk of Noam Chomsky. I am a HUGE fan of Chomsky, but I don't really listen to him or any other politically-related talks while working out...just doesn't seem to fit : ). Also, speaking of NPR a few posts ago, there is a hilarious video of Chomsky ranting about NPR on youtube. Go find it.

Second veganjosh with the Hardhouse to listen to. I have all the older classics, for me at least, (1996-2000) I used to go out and tear up all night long in the afterhours. Some preferred Dj's: Johnathan Peters, Miss Kitty, Sasha and Digweed, Carl Cox, Paul Oakenfeld, D'Julz, Eric Morillo, etc etc...

la fortuna is an even older classic that you can't go wrong with.

There is a song called "Jack's House" that I prefer a capella (it's my name)

As for rock I feel you can't go wrong with a little Nine Inch Nails and Linkin Park. Oh yeah and "last resort" by papa roach, because it's the song I did my routine to

I enjoy most rap music but prefer it for cardio sessions.

The new hip hop song....I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T.

Rob,

I had no clue what you were talking about. I just read your post today right before I hit the gym. On the way there right after reading the post, guess what comes on. I was like, oooooh that's the song rob was talking about, I know it! haha, it's not bad....

Did you used to go to parties in NYC? If so we may have been at the same party at one point; I've been raving for years. Razz Razz Razz

Born and raised here but of course josh.

Let's see, i'll rundown the list of places I can recall where me and my 35 pairs of windpants used to hit up, haha:

-Soundfactory (was my home away from home) 3am lines around the block; it's now called Pacha.

-Limelight (now called Avalon)

-Tunnel: I never ever had a bad time here; loved the bars in the

bathrooms and all the wacky rooms and the silver statue dude.

-Demerara's: 1st thursday of every mo. still running. Hardcore

underground breakdancing contests,alcohol and drug free environment.

-Twilo (the origina sf): Sasha and Digweed spun their once a month and

many foreign djs.

-Roxy: Little commercial but it was ok once in awhile.

-Roseland (Always good for thanksgiving eves and special events.

Not sure if you would consider them like nasa style 'raves' but those were my old school club days. Once in awhile we went somewhere low key but I have no clue what or where the places were

That's all I could think of at the moment but I suspect there were more places...

I went to a few parties in 2000, about 12 I'd say. I went looking to dance and find good dancers to watch. I was mostly disappointed by the dancers as most were sloppy because they were either rollin or tweakin. There were a few highlights but nothing too impressive. I really like breaks, jungle, hip hop, turntablism.... and I've seen alot of my favorite djs.... ie Baby Anne, Icey, Dieselboy, Richie Hawtin (techno), Digweed, Q-Bert... and a few others. Lean and Green you mention Nasa.... weird cause the only time I ever remember hearing about that is from that movie "Kids".

Anyways, I enjoyed the parties I went to and wouldn't mind hittin a party up in the future, just for old time sake... but I would hope for a good lineup...

Did you used to go to parties in NYC? If so we may have been at the same party at one point; I've been raving for years. Razz Razz Razz

Born and raised here but of course josh.

Let's see, i'll rundown the list of places I can recall where me and my 35 pairs of windpants used to hit up, haha:

-Soundfactory (was my home away from home) 3am lines around the block; it's now called Pacha.

-Limelight (now called Avalon)

-Tunnel: I never ever had a bad time here; loved the bars in the

bathrooms and all the wacky rooms and the silver statue dude.

-Demerara's: 1st thursday of every mo. still running. Hardcore

underground breakdancing contests,alcohol and drug free environment.

-Twilo (the origina sf): Sasha and Digweed spun their once a month and

many foreign djs.

-Roxy: Little commercial but it was ok once in awhile.

-Roseland (Always good for thanksgiving eves and special events.

Not sure if you would consider them like nasa style 'raves' but those were my old school club days. Once in awhile we went somewhere low key but I have no clue what or where the places were

That's all I could think of at the moment but I suspect there were more places...

I definitely rocked demarara's back in the day. I've never been to avalon but one of my best friends sister used to work the door there (nikki, redhead with dreads). There are other clubs whose names I forget (raver's curse! ), some random clubs that would host, and also the warehouse every once and awhile. I'm making a scrapbook, and I've managed to save alot of the flyers of raves from years ago, so that will go in there and will be nostalgic. I'll see if any other venue names are in there and let you know. Weird to think that we may have "partied together" at some point in the past!

Lean and Green you mention Nasa.... weird cause the only time I ever remember hearing about that is from that movie "Kids"

You know, I never actually saw the movie "Kids" maybe I should watch it? Anyway, yeah, older friends/neighbors who used to party when I was young would always describe the nights out and refer to them as either "NASA" or "STORM" raves. They peaked out before my time when I was still a youthful teen and so I never made it out with them. They would always talk about "DJ Frankie Bones" and his following and how they would set up shop in random places and throw parties.

I looked up that movie out of curiosity; turns out the "Nasa" you are referring to, was shot in the old "Tunnel" nightclub, which I referred to earlier, a very cool place. Now, though, it is a storage facility for people who have extra stuff they can't keep in their Manhattan pads. As far as the synopsis of the HIV teen. I wonder if that's how the rumors started about limelight and other Peter Gaiten's establishments. People used to say, don't go there, I heard that there are people in those clubs that bump into you by surprise, stick you with a needle and hand you a note and leave. When you read the note it say, "You have AIDS". It would certainly make sense...

Josh,

Tell you the truth, I never really went to it when it was avalon, only when it was limelight. But I hear ya with the 'raver's curse'; won't get into that! I do, however remember two very popular door people, one went by the name of "Paris" (not sure if she was more man or more woman) who always did the door at SF and a lady by the name of Aphrodite, who seemed to pop up at every door where the place was jumping. I actually saw her on myspace just recently, still looks hot. Any names ring a bell? Oh yes and a guy by the name of Anthony Lamont who walked around every place and got paid to make obscenely loud "bird caws and squeals". Nutjob is actually still around.

http://www.queermusicheritage.us/drag-lamont.html (wonder if he's vegan, lol)

I just thought of another place:

The Palladium! First place I ever went to when I was 15. They closed it down 2 years later and turned it into NYU dormitories, for shame.........

Yeh, it is pretty weird, right? Small world

They would always talk about "DJ Frankie Bones" and his following and how they would set up shop in random places and throw parties....

...I heard that there are people in those clubs that bump into you by surprise, stick you with a needle and hand you a note and leave. When you read the note it say, "You have AIDS". It would certainly make sense...

I was at a party in the middle of BFE (Wisconsin countryside) at a hotel/convention center where Frankie Bones was spinning. He spun most of his stuff from "You Know My Name"... pretty nice set.

That thing about the Aids infected needle stick is the scariest thing I've heard of in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Threw in a nice set of 'Mindless Self Indulgence'. Got some quality deadlift while rockin out.

I love them, out of control.

xxveganjosh, thought of a couple of other places that were around back in the day.

-NV

-Ohm ( think that's what changed to NV, can't remember)

-Expo

-Mirage (changed names alot. Becamse Carbon -> Exit -> Deep -> who the heck knows)

-Spa

-Metropolis (was in queens)