What Music gets you pumped up for training?

Makes me want to puke! Not much of a fan of Eye of the Tiger . Its up there with music from Chariots of Fire. Something I heard and inspired me when I was small and just roll my eyes at now .

Gym music for me is Slipknot 99% of the time. Geeze, I need to find some vegan-friendly (and woman-friendly for that matter) music, but not much out there is angrier, louder, or faster than these guys.

Awesome...

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Korn - Follow the Leader. That album had been my workout partner since it came out. It's a funky, angry, loud collection of tunes.

Otherwise I mix it up heavy on my mp3 plyr - Tool, Mudvayne, Deftones, Pantera, Rancid (I know, not really the same genre, but it gets me going), etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Earth Crisis, Day of Suffering, and Remembering Never. I only listen to Vegan bands when I work out.

My thing is listening to as many vegan groups/bands/musicians as possible all the time but I only buy music if musicians are vegans...otherwise I burn your music...my little way at getting back

• 2 weeks later...

Bronco: slayer is slayer <--- yeah, everything is said.

I also like to listen to heavy stuff during workout. It shouldn’t be too fast but really rough though (Unsane or Breach is very advisable). Sometimes I also listen to some hiphop but only during workout. Does anyone know “sounds like a break record” from funkstoerungs “appetite for distruction”? I love this one and I think it’s a very unique song. Maybe someone have some recommendations on similar stuff?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a musical purist so:

The soundtrack from Conan the Barbarian or Rocky – willpeavey

Eye of the Tiger!!!!! Is it just me, or does every guy feel the need to do arm curls everytime they hear that song??

I also like the Terminator(s) soundtracks. – Raw Ambition

Gym music for me is Slipknot 99% of the time. Geeze, I need to find some vegan-friendly (and woman-friendly for that matter) music, but not much out there is angrier, louder, or faster than these guys. – Crystal

Bronco is metal too.

I commend willpeavey, Raw Ambition, and Bronco on their giant penises, for these are real men.

Crystal, please, you need some True Metal. Listen to Manowar, the Kings of Metal. Nothing like a Manowar powerballad for getting pumped. OTHER BANDS PLAY MANOWAR KILLS

Other greats are (early) Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica, all Manowar, all Death (Death is actually the best band ever. Ever. If you don't believe m, you haven't bourn wittness to the magic that is Death yet.), all Municipal Waste, all Dragonforce, early Kreator, all Morbid Saint, early Sepultura, early Death Angel, all Rigor Mortis, and jesus, so many others. Thinking of Jesus, Deicide is amazing. All Deicide. All Blind Guardian (power metal, anyone?)

Yeah, Blind Guardian would be great workout music.

slipknot has fast become my favourite band. Other bands leading up to them had been black sabbath -> metallica -> rage against the machine -> biohazard -> pantera -> Slipknot. I dunno, other bands I hear are either too soft for me now, or they're just noise like a singer just going BLURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHH over the top of guitars which are so tuned down that you can't hear individual notes whilst the drummer never does anything apart from full speed double bass - that is cool for short segments but when it's the entire song, and all songs, I dunno. I like other things with more twiddly bits in... but the more twiddling there is, the less ass kicking there is. I like the riffs from slipknot, and a lot of the drumming is pretty cool. I also don't like those kinds of singers who sound like they are hunched over a toilet, I don't really like slipknot's singer really - I don't like any. But the especially grunty singers ruin a lot of metal for me.

"or they're just noise like a singer just going BLURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHH over the top of guitars which are so tuned down that you can't hear individual notes whilst the drummer never does anything apart from full speed double bass - that is cool for short segments but when it's the entire song, and all songs, I dunno"

I've always thought this about Slipknot myself. Try out Death. Death is the be-all end-all of musical ability and wonderfullnesscitiytion. Their early stuff is great early death metal, their later stuff is the foremost melodic death-metal that ever will be.

If you like good riffs, I recommend trying out some good old thrash. Look at early Anthrax, Kreator, and check out Morbid Saint (who used to open for Death shows) on Myspace.

Thanks for the bump veganpotter.

Slayer, the Rollins Band and the mighty Pantera for me!

At one time it was Slayer, Rollins Band and Pantera for me too. Esp Pantera. Suicidal Tendencies too, but Institutionalized or Lights, Camera, Revolution, not the lame stuff that they did more recently. This is all back when I was an angry youth. These days there's only the sound of yelling or the occasional moan and a lot of thumping noises. That reads funny - I'm trying to describe how my kickboxing gym sounds.

The more I listen to music, the more it seems to funnel into like a handful of tracks that I like, and I just hate everything else. I just had a listen to Kreator and Anthrax and didn't really get along with them. I get bugged by a lot of things and then don't want to listen to a track because of it. So many times I will hear a kickass intro to a song then it turns into slush. Lots of Linkin Park tracks have cool chunky sections to them for like 15 seconds out of an entire song, and the rest is like, I dunno, just sort of pop rock chord sequences with singing and rap over. I'd like to hear linkin park do an instrumental track, just with all the actually cool riffs back to back.

As far as guitar playing goes - Slash is my all time favorite player. I've been playing for close to 15 years and I've gone through liking lots of different styles and phases, but I always come back to liking both his solo and rhythm styles the best

Antrax is a great band too. I like a lot of their stuff.

I haven't heard any nu-metal that I've liked. It all just sounds like crud to me

Noam Chomsky is among the most ultimatest men on earth. I have a fancy that I'd like to become president and divide the cabinet into two user-friendly groups. As Secretary of Everything I'd appoint Chomsky. The other title would be an honorary role for Ann Coulter, acting as my Secretary of Nothing. Listen to some early Anthrax, Richard. Listen to Among The Living, their third album. Magic.

Will, what style do you play? I've been perfecting the shred for maybe 3.25 years now. I got an '84 NJ Warlock last year, and it's a dream.

My style shows a heavy influence of both classical and blues scales. When I played in bands I had a Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall head and cab, and it sounded great once the tubes got warmed up. It had a really warm and heavy tone. Right now I just have a Les Paul copy and a small practice amp and have been playing along with old Iron Maiden recordings. Do you have any shredding recorded?