Photos holding caught fish

robert

What's the obsession with having your photo taken of you with the large fish you've caught?

I work in an office building setting with lots of cubicles and there are so may people who have photos of themselves holding a big fish they caught in Alaska or somewhere like that. They decorate their cubicles with these silly photos of them in their flannel and their mustaches grinning with their large fish, sometimes even writing the weight of the fish on the picture.

The strange thing is that there are not just a few, there are tons of cubes with those photos. Some even blow up the photo to Poster size.

My friends had that kind of image on their family Christmas Card last year, and they aren't even a redneck family.

Has anyone else noticed this, or just me?

I seem to see them everywhere and it is a bit disturbing.

Robert

I blame compensation. These people are trying to make up for something about them that is small... actually that could be it but concepts like that are so cliche. Rob maybe you could counter them and just have a pic of you with some of those big muscles you have. Maybe caption it with something like "where's the fish?" or "fish, who needs them?" I don't know, have fun with it.

I don't understand it either Rob. I mean catching a fish is not exactly an accomplishment. You stick some food in the water and the poor thing bites it. How the h@!! is that an accomplishment for the guy holding the pole???

I guess these people just don't have anything worthwhile to be proud of.

Rob maybe you could counter them and just have a pic of you with some of those big muscles you have. Maybe caption it with something like "where's the fish?" or "fish, who needs them?" I don't know, have fun with it.

HAH! A pic of you holding up a huge carrot or something!

Hell, I'm gonna do that!

I think I'll come up with a few pretty cool ideas to combat these fisherman and weekend warriors proudly diplaying their "catch" all over the offices.

I'll let you know what I come up with and maybe if I think of something pretty cool I'll take some photos and post them on here

Are women actually impressed by hunting and fishing? And how big an animal some idiot kills is? As a woman I can't imagine anyone being but then I can't imagine why anyone would want to kill animals and eat/wear them either.

Come on Rene, you're in the south too. The women are out there hunting and fishing too, especially the fishing.

Last year before I met Josie, I was on match.com(that's where we met). You wouldn't believe the number of women who list fishing as one of the things they LOVE to do!!! Of course these women also list NASCAR!!! My favorites are the ones who list "meat and potatoes" and "vegan" as their daiy diet. Talk about confused.

I live a fairly sheltered existance in that I don't know of any women who go hunting.. come to think of it if any of my aquaintences went hunting or fishing they'd have the good bit of knowledge to keep that to themselves. My mom does fish - but she doesn't hurt the fish because she always 'puts them back its not like they die or anything' and she knows how I feel about that. Sticking hooks in their jaws doesn't exactly feel good. Luckily for me my dad is very anti-fishing. For the most part I try to co-mingle with like minded people. I work in IT and most people have dilbert or other office/ IT type stuff up on their walls. My walls are decorated with my daughter's artwork and figure skating stuff. Oh and a 'Bush-Cheney 04 we can detain you, you know?' poster. sweet.

MH-I've also been on a bunch of those match type sites (looking for vegan girls) and I also see lots of GIRLS/WOMEN listing fishing, hunting, riding 4 wheelers (quads) NASCAR, and things like that as their favorite things.

Renee-I don't know for sure, but I think some girls are impressed by how big of a fish their "man" caught. But I am immediately turned off by that subject and by girls and guys eating meat or animal products. Most poeple obviously don't have the same compassion or mindset that all of us here have, so I think most think nothing of it.

For me, liking girls, nothing is a bigger turnoff than seeing a girl eat meat, for some reason even worse than a guy eating meat (I konw it doesn't sound fair). I think they're both gross, now it's fair.

On the flipside, I find nothing more attractive than girls who are VEGAN! I know a few pretty awesome vegan girls I hang out with, I have more female vegan friends than male vegan friends.......and then of course all the awesome vegans on this forum who have become my "friends" over the months and years.

I know it sucks that most people have no problem with hunting, fishing and meat eating, but that is just more work for us to do to help educate people and improve the well-being of our planet and the lives of those who occupy it.

• 4 weeks later...

I went on a camping/fishing trip last fall....

The fishing part I was uneasy with, but I liked the idea of being out on the boat all day....we were in the gorge, and were out on the water around 6am so we got to see the sunrise over the cliffs; it was absolutely beautiful.

What I didn't know though, and this was just naivety on my part, was that we were going to keep the fish we caught. I'd never known anyone who does that; the only other fishing I'd ever witnessed was catch and release trout fishing with my grandpa when I was a kid. Like I said, I was uneasy with that part, but I try to be tolerant of other people, and I quite enjoy the folks I went with.

Anyway, point being, they didn't release the fish, they clobbered it and it bled all over the boat, and yes, we have the requisite photos of holding the dead fish.

I actually cried I was so mad.

I agree robert that people eating meat makes my evaluation of them spiral. But I don't even need to see them eating it. Just hearing them talk about it, the knowledge that they think it's okay to eat animals, it makes my skin crawl, and I can't see meat-eaters the same way as I see vegans.

Fishing is bullshit no matter what happens. Fish must be scared for their lives. Even if you use a net, you are still restricting it, and then you drag it out of water where it can't breathe. imagine if you are in the sea, and a huge giant octopus grabbed you, dragged you under water and held you there for a little while, as you scramble and fight against it, and are suffocated. Then he puts you back above the surface. I would think most people would agree that's not their idea of fun. Then add in getting stabbed in the face with a hook. Fishing is unacceptable. I dunno what I'd do if I was actually on a boat with someone doing it. When I see people go to step on spiders, I physically push them out of the way so that the spider runs away. I can't stand it, I get so pumped and angry about horrible people.

Edited by Richard

I agree robert that people eating meat makes my evaluation of them spiral. But I don't even need to see them eating it. Just hearing them talk about it, the knowledge that they think it's okay to eat animals, it makes my skin crawl, and I can't see meat-eaters the same way as I see vegans.

Fishing is bullshit no matter what happens. Fish must be scared for their lives. Even if you use a net, you are still restricting it, and then you drag it out of water where it can't breathe. imagine if you are in the sea, and a huge giant octopus grabbed you, dragged you under water and held you there for a little while, as you scramble and fight against it, and are suffocated. Then he puts you back above the surface. I would think most people wuold agree that's not their idea of fun. Then add in getting stabbed in the face with a hook. Fishing is unacceptable. I dunno what I'd do if I was actually on a boat with someone doing it. When I see people go to step on spiders, I physically push them out of the way so that the spider runs away. I can't stand it, I get so pumped and angry about horrible people.

Richard I TOTALLY 100% agree with every word of this post.

• 3 months later...

I saw picture of little girl holding huge fish and smiling in our work place.

I said to a gentleman who was sitting next seat to me, "I think that picture is ing".

What gentleman said to me?

He said fish doesn't look real and there is no way for little girl to catch large fish like that.

I hope she was holding man made fish and not real.

Yes, people who show their freshly caught fish and smiling while fish is suffocating me greatly.

It is not just bad taste but shows their mentality and insensitivity.

I live close to a "fish and pay" lake. i rode my cycle past it the other day and saw a family posing together for a pic with a fish, i shuddered.

and though to myself

"the family that kills together, stays together" ??

Ya, exactly. How sad and pathetic. Like there arent better family bonding activities out there, you gotta kill a fish? idiots.

Poor little fish . dont even have vocal chords to express any kind of verbal distress. It makes me so sad when I see there mouths open and close, no sound coming out, and their fins flapping when they are out of water, suffocating to death, terrified, defenceless and LITERALLY voiceless

This is going to sound hypocritical, but I found those fish pictures distasteful, even when I was still eating fish.

Wanna know what's even more weird? Fishing tournaments. I had heard of them before, but didn't realize they were such a big deal... until one of my classmates walked into class the other day, bragging about the $10,000 he had won in a bass fishing tournament over the weekend. $10,000 for catching a fish?!?? What the heck?

• 2 months later...
I always thought it'd be fun to find a vegan way to fish. Like put bait on a string with no hook. Then go out and enjoy feeding fish... : )

This is a neat idea but then if the fish get used to the idea and go for the food each time....if it is a regular fisherman, they'll find more than just a worm

But I think it is a cute idea, just might be a little risky for the fish during future fishing trips involving non-vegans.

-Robert