vegan from minnesota

reflect

Hi,

I have been mostly vegan since 1998. Other than some supplements like EFA and Glucosamine. I am vegan out of respect for animals and for good health. I have been exercising since summer 2000. I am a student in kinesiology and art. My goals are to improve health, learn better training methods, have a complete protein vegan diet and get strong.

reflect

Welcome!

I like your screen name

Great to have you as part of our group. As far as I know, there are vegan EFA supplements and vegan glucosamine as well. In fact, I'm pretty certain there are because I've seen them/used them.

Anyway, we hope you enjoy the forum and meet some cool people here.

We look forward to hearing more from you. All the best,

Hi,

I am worried about getting vegan protein, because I used to load rice for the energy the extra carbs would provide. I didnt notice in the last 2 years, I was gaining fat.

My stats

bodyweight

199 pds

bodyfat

22%

height

6 1.5

Lean weight

155 pds

bodyfat weight

42 pds

goal weight is 182 pds

Recently in the last 30 days, by lowering my rice and food portions, I found increased energy and lost 5 pounds of fat. I am trying to do cardio 3 times a week with 15 min Abs afterwards.

I did find some vegan supplements for EFA and Glucosamine.

http://www.vegetarianvitamin.com/shop/index.php/action/item/id/8/prevaction/item/previd/1/prevstart//

http://www.vegetarianvitamin.com/shop/index.php/action/category/id/2/subid/22/

I am worried about getting vegan protein, because I used to load rice for the energy the extra carbs would provide. I didnt notice in the last 2 years, I was gaining fat.

So you ate a lot of rice (whole rice I hope...) and gained fat. But where is the connection to the worries about getting adequate protein? I still do not understand your point. Do you think the carbs where the problem?

I would try eating more (raw) fruit and vegetables. They provide a perfect amount of all macronutrients and are loaded with vitamins and enzyms. Do not emphazise on grain and rice so much.

I am probably not getting the vegan protein I could. I have been eating about 1 piece of fruit a day and a lot of vegetables. I usually cook chinese or thai type food and its hard to drop the rice and add beans. I try eating them seperately. I have been eating chard or collard green salads with beans.

I am at 197 pds now and have lost 8 pounds in about 30 days. I have just started 12-20 high rep weight routines. I want to recruit more muscle fibers and build muscular endurance.

We already had this issue several imes on thsi board.

Probably you just do not eat enough. If you do not meet the amount of calories you need you usually will loose weight.

It not not about how much protein you eat. If you consume enough calories you can be almost sure to get enough protein. You should try eating MORE fruit and vegetables.

How much calories do you consume but away?

I am just assuming its low protein. I mean, I am concerned with not being very strong and having 22% bodyfat. Today I am coming to the conclusion, my diet is fairly good, my weight routine is allright and that my greatest obstacle is low motivation. I need to put way more spirit and effort into my workouts.

Welcome, reflect! Another great thing is just to do dedicated activity one hour each day to conquer low motivation. Doesn't have to be in the weight room. Getting out and doing anything aerobic: walking, biking, just seeing sights, whatever, just make it fun! This will increase metabolism as well and just keep the weight coming off. Have fun here!

Sounds like you are on the right track, my friend. Try Hummus, Pinto or Black beans, Peanut / Almond butter, Lentils, Rye bread (high in Lysine), Hemp Bread, Soy Milk, etc. Buckwheat, Spelt, Amaranth, and Quinoa are high in protein, too. These are pretty much my staples and I am an easy gainer. I can overeat and not be too worried about it; unlike when I used to eat meat and my entire system would come to a screeching halt.

Overeating is never a good idea, but these proteins have superb digestability. Welcome to the forum!

Steve

'Vegan Power'

Hi,

I usually eat lentils, pinto, black, peanut butter, soy milk and sprouted tortillas (minus the yeast). I eat falafels and sometimes hummus. I have candida, so i am not sure about eating grains.

I rode my bike yesterday and did 15 mins abs at home. I was reading doing football exercises is good for losing fat. Also there are raquetball courts at my gym.

• 7 months later...

I am having smoothies now with soy or rice protein powder, nuts, vegetables and fruits. Mostly just vegan protein powder and fruits. Having blended raw foods has increased my energy. My 3 mile run has gone from trying to get done in under 30 minutes to under 27 minutes.

Stats 3/3/2007

Bodyweight

Bodyfat %

17.76%

Lean Mass

Bodyfat

Goal weight

Goal Bodyfat

10%

Hi Lotus,

I have been using Nutribiotic Brown Rice Protein. I have been thinking of getting pea protein instead of rice. I would have to mail order it.

I am studying Kinesiology as a goal for a career in fitness. I work at a University gym as an attendant.

Hi Lotus,

I have been using Nutribiotic Brown Rice Protein. I have been thinking of getting pea protein instead of rice. I would have to mail order it.

I am studying Kinesiology as a goal for a career in fitness. I work at a University gym as an attendant.

Hey, welcome to the forums.

A good protein to try too is Hemp protein. If you're looking for some weight loss too I'd suggest looking into green smoothies, I normally have a blenderful a day, it's normally fruits with some leafy greens (normally spinach or kale for me).

Happy posting.

I have a rice and fruit smoothie in the morning. I mix soy, spirulina and sea vegetable powder in the evening. I have kale and other greens in salads. I haven't tried blending them before.

I can't tolerate hemp protein. I would probably get sick.

• 6 months later...
  • 15 years later...

Hi,

I have been trying regain strength.

My Bench Press is about 115 x7 reps or 135 x4 reps.

I used to be able to Bench about 185 x4 reps.

Body Weight

170 lbs

I am looking for Vegan Branched Chain Amino Acids and a Vegan Amino complex.