Oh crap...I am about to run out of all my supplies...

So, as some of you know I have been on a true vegan diet for a few weeks now, but am slowly working through all the other non-vegan things I purchased prior to the switch that are non-food related...

So I am looking for some advice on the following products that I am looking to replace soon.

Hair Wax (currently use Crew Wax)

Toothpaste

Shaving Gel

Deoderant (I am trying Tom's but not really into the scent options)

Vitamins (I take a pretty generic multiple, are those generally okay?)

Mouthwash (my guess is Listerine is bad?)

Soap/Facewash

Lotion (daytime&nighttime?)

I like the aloe/mint kiss my face toothpaste, tom's is okay as well just watch out for the propolis ingredient which is not vegan. Kiss my face roll on deoderant (unscented) works well, I am interested to try the thai rock deoderant. I dont use the other products except for vitamins and I get those from vitamin world.

Arbonne International probably has hair wax or something comperable for you plus its great to help a new vegan business working its way into the US market. My favorite toothpaste on earth is Kiss My Face Aloe but its a little pricey and I've been using natures gate lately(I normally pick up whatver vegan toothpaste is on sale though). I actually like using soap more than any shave gel I've ever used...this goes for pre-and post vegan and obviously I need to shave alot. I use Thai deoderant salt for my arms...a stone lasts for over a year and it works great if you don't mind having scent free pits. Thayers mouthwash is good and somewhat mild but if you can find it Kiss My Face has an awesome mint mouthwash thats just as strong as the mainstream ones...the others I've used seem far too weak to do anything. As for vitamins...vitamins from vegan companies are only a bit more expensive and worth it so I'd go that way. I'm using Meyer's bar soap now and I love it for my body, face and shaving(olive oil soap too). As for lotion when I use it I like Alba uncented...it works for quite a while and its not so pricey like Jasons...are you that picky that you need different lotion for different times of day???

[quote name="oregonisaac

Vitamins (I take a pretty generic multiple' date=' are those generally okay?)

[/quote]

They most likely have some non-vegan ingredients in as binders (stearic acid) or as a capsule (gelatin) or non-vegan-derived ingredients (D3/cholecalciferol is non-vegan, D2/ergocalciferol is vegan).

But, hey, you are in the vegan capitol of the US! I'm sure you can find a store that can supply items to suit your every whim!

If not, check out www.veganessentials.com or www.veganstore.com (I'm trying to give other vegan online stores some love, since I keep plugging Vegan Essentials, and I don't want people to think I'm a shill for them! But they're pretty much where I get most of my otherwise-unobtainable vegan stuff).

[quote name="oregonisaac

Vitamins (I take a pretty generic multiple' date=' are those generally okay?)

[/quote]

They most likely have some non-vegan ingredients in as binders (stearic acid) or as a capsule (gelatin) or non-vegan-derived ingredients (D3/cholecalciferol is non-vegan, D2/ergocalciferol is vegan).

But, hey, you are in the vegan capitol of the US! I'm sure you can find a store that can supply items to suit your every whim!

If not, check out www.veganessentials.com or www.veganstore.com (I'm trying to give other vegan online stores some love, since I keep plugging Vegan Essentials, and I don't want people to think I'm a shill for them! But they're pretty much where I get most of my otherwise-unobtainable vegan stuff).

oregonisaac, Here are some I like.

Toothpastes: JASON

Deodorant: You should be able to find this in most stores -- Liquid Rock, by Kiss My Face, unscented is good or any of the Crystal "rock" type deodorants. They last *forever*! There are various brands.

Mouthwash: I like EcoDent; they have vegan floss too! And the JASON are good.

Multivitamin, Dr. Fuhrman's Gentle Care is *awesome* and perfectly formulated for balance; even has iodine in the right amount! And if you need a DHA, Dr. F.'s is great too.

Body Soap: I like really cleansing, less perfumey, less oily-creamy kind 'cause after a workout, I wanna be cleeeeeean So I like organic Tea Tree oil soaps, and Pangea Organics is great. They also have shower gels and lotions, but I haven't tried them yet.

For lotions: I really love Aubrey Organics,(Men's, for you, obviously!) , they are tops when it comes to quality. I always go back to them. The have great sunscreens, lotions, shampoos -- everything. Haven't tried the men's stuff, of course , but I'm sure the quality is there. They offer a few non-vegan products, but it is cleary on the label if it IS vegan. It has a vegan symbol on the bottles! So it's easy and you don't have to read through ingredients. My fave brand!

Another shaving maybe is JASON, but you'll have to check this one for ingredients; not sure it's vegan.

If you like oils and butters as moisturizers, then I would get Shea Butter or Organic Coconut Oil/Butter. It lasts long because you use so little and works great, unless you have very oily skin, of course .

A good, general vegan store is PANGEA, which has lots of stuff, good prices and service.

Thanks for all the advice, I definately need to check out some of the local stores, maybe I will treat myself this weekend.

I looked at my vitamins (which I got out of the "vegetarian section", and they say "vegetable stearic acid" and also "gelatin"

Is geletin the thing that is made of horses? If so that sucks, I don't really see the point of throwing them away at this point unless there is a health issue with them but that does not seem vegetarian!

Nobody should ever throw away non-vegan goods...just give them to people that would buy them anyway...it keeps them from buying more bad stuff...atleast temporarily. As for the gelatin it may come from horses, pigs, and or cows in any combination or order you can imagine...just look for vegetarian caps...they only cost a tad bit more...but look out...some have bee pollen and other gunk

Is geletin the thing that is made of horses? If so that sucks, I don't really see the point of throwing them away at this point unless there is a health issue with them but that does not seem vegetarian!

Gelatin is made from the hooves, hides and bones of animals, boiled up in a 'stew.'

You don't have to throw them out. Just open up the capsules and put the 'innards' in a smoothie. That's what I do anyway with some of my encapsulated supplements (even though they come in veggie caps).

And here's an alternative to mouth wash: drink green tea, sweetened with stevia if you like. Green tea and stevia contain anti-bacterial substances that work against plaque. And if you get a mint green tea, the mint is a good natural breath freshener (though if you eat enough raw foods, and brush, floss and tongue scrape---with a spoon if you don't want to get a tongue scraper--you shouldn't need a mouth wash).

pouring the innards out of gelatin caps and throwing the capsules away is no different than eating them...its like buying cheese pizza and pulling off the cheese because your vegan.

But since I already bought the capsules (will be watching now) I think it makes sense.

My feelings exactly. And this is the situation I was refering to, not going out and buying animal-gelatin-capsule supplements, but getting use out of otherwise-vegan supplements one already has from before going vegan.

Also, watch your supplements for things like vitamin D3 (not vegan). In fact, unless a supplement is labeled veg*n or "no animal products," it most likely isn't vegan.