Where's Topher?

loveliberate

I've been having trouble finding my way in the world, and I think Portland sounds really nice. I wanted to get out there for the vegan vacation, maybe I'll make it out there sometime in the next year or so to see if I like it.

you definately should. I moved from Pennsylvania. I love Oregon. It has trees, waterfalls, rivers, creeks, and mountains like PA but wayy bigger, better, and prettier.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Topher, long time no see. I'm glad your gf is recovering nicely. Three years to heal! That is insane, she's lucky to have a great guy like you as her best friend.

Maybe we'll make it out to Portland next summer. We're working hard to buy ourselves out of this corporate hell at least for the summer, if not forever.

And 140 pounds, come on now, you're really going to be the "little guy". I'm up to about 240, but ah, um, haven't lifted at all this year. I'm collecting it all around the middle trying to fit in to Pittsburgh a little better. Ask me some time what is a "yinzer".

definately long time no see. We shall have to meet up sometime. I miss hanging around ya.

Thanks dude.

She has a titanium bar in her internally to keep her sternum from collapsing back into her lungs. It will take her sternum bone/costal cartiladge about 2-3 years to heal and stay in place. Then they can remove the bar after that. Its kinda like orthodonic braces...but instead of correcting her teeth, the bar is to correct her sternum.

-------------------------

My girlfriend and I have a lease on our apartment til July 2007 in Arizona...but we're gonna try to get out of the lease and transfer it, so we can move to Portland January 2007.

We're also gonna come visit Oregon for a week or something before we actually move, to pick out our apartment and visit the mountain and beach and stuff.

And as far as work... I'm currently working as an electrician apprentice here in Flagstaff, and when we get to PDX I plan to attend school for 9-10 months and graduate.

I'm gonna do something fun and go to aviation school in Hillsboro to become a helicopter pilot. I want to create a future for my gf and I, and have a career I enjoy doing while pursuing snowboarding and be able to, make a good salary, and gives me plenty of time off to spend with my gf and travel.

I will have to start work as a flight instructor, but I hope to build enough hours to get a job as an avalanche rescuer. I want to save people in the snow, or find a similarly cool job such as eventually being a pilot for heli-snowboarding trips.

Pilots work 7 days on 7 days off. On my days off, I can afford (money and time wise) to be able to travel the world and volunteer, and snowboard.

Its all pretty extreme, but I'm an XXX-treme guy...hehe

anyway...

------------------------------------------

You should totally come to Portland. It rocks!

We could work out together and eat lots of food. I'm investing in a home gym buying it one piece at a time, starting next week: Squat cage, barbell, french curl, etc. you name it...

... so you could work out at our apartment with me if you want and train.

hope all is well hobson. catch ya later

-toph

p.s. get out of pburg while you can!!

I wish I was in Norway. The place I live in is like a patchouli doodoo scented swamp

Global warming hasn't reached Norway and it never will. If you move from Florida to Norway you would turn into a popsicle within minutes.

Nah, I think if I was up there then Odin would protect me from popsiclehood

Hero wrote:

She has a titanium bar in her internally to keep her sternum from collapsing back into her lungs. It will take her sternum bone/costal cartiladge about 2-3 years to heal and stay in place. Then they can remove the bar after that. Its kinda like orthodonic braces...but instead of correcting her teeth, the bar is to correct her sternum.

Was the procedure due to her having pectus excavatus? I have it, it's when one has a sunken chest and the sternum hasn't "popped out" .

I've been to see a surgeon and the operation to correct it involves inserting a bar to push the sternum out. I'm not sure if I should have it done, I'm still thinking about it. I've been told that my lungs and breathing are normal but I sometimes feel a weird pressure building right in the middle of the chest, it's a feeling difficult to describe.

I wish your gf all the best, it's a big surgery and I hope she'll get better soon.

Topher,

As cities go, Portland is definitely my favorite so far. I fully agree with all the reasons ya mentioned for Stumptown being so great. It'll be cool to have ya'll here - let me know what I can do to help ya'll with the move & getting settled in. When are ya'll planning yr visit here?

I hope everything works out well for ya'll getting to Norway. I'd deeply enjoy spending some extended time outside of the US when time, money, etc permits... Probably mostly western Canada will be the most likely place for us to start.

Nah, I think if I was up there then Odin would protect me from popsiclehood

Who is going to protect me from the squirrel's in squirrel hill? 2308 Murray Avenue if you're ever in town.

Yeah I think if you wear a yamika around there the squirrels will leave you alone

I used to live one street over from Murray, on Shady Ave near Frick Park

Hero wrote:

Was the procedure due to her having pectus excavatus? I have it, it's when one has a sunken chest and the sternum hasn't "popped out" .

I've been to see a surgeon and the operation to correct it involves inserting a bar to push the sternum out. I'm not sure if I should have it done, I'm still thinking about it. I've been told that my lungs and breathing are normal but I sometimes feel a weird pressure building right in the middle of the chest, it's a feeling difficult to describe.

I wish your gf all the best, it's a big surgery and I hope she'll get better soon.

yes she had pectus excavatum- it was medium. She has the Nuss procedure done where they "pop" it out. She had trouble breathing and little room for her lungs to breathe.

She is doing quite well. thanks for asking

and as far as the surgery, if your chest limits you, I reccommend getting it done...its only a 45 minute procedure and does wonders

Topher,

As cities go, Portland is definitely my favorite so far. I fully agree with all the reasons ya mentioned for Stumptown being so great. It'll be cool to have ya'll here - let me know what I can do to help ya'll with the move & getting settled in. When are ya'll planning yr visit here?

I hope everything works out well for ya'll getting to Norway. I'd deeply enjoy spending some extended time outside of the US when time, money, etc permits... Probably mostly western Canada will be the most likely place for us to start.

We plan to come late november/early december... for that veganbb event robert is setting up, and to sightsee and apartment hunt.

We just need to find an apartment downtown or near downtown (hard wood floors a definite), somehow sell our little 2wd car and get something small with AWD (probably a subaru outback sport), and I need to enroll in aviation school and get my loans to cover my tuition and living expenses (apartment, food, etc.), Then we're all set.

Hardest thing is me working right now to support us, and for us to save up enough money and come visit Oregon.

I dont think our car will make it, so we somehow need to get rid of it soon.