Hanging Back Contest

Today my time was 1:42, which I think is a new forum record. So that is not the time to beat. I also beat my personal best time by 7 seconds! I have improved every single time I've attemped this exercise so I'm happy about that.

My 18 year old neighbor got a time of 1:57 at the gym training with me last week, so I'm still looking to break the 2-minute barrier.

Jonathan, any updates yet, did you get over 2 min?

-Robert

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Buddy,

i was waiting for someone to break my time before i do it again. no sense in breaking your own record!

I have to disagree here with you. Isn't strength training about beating your prior self? About seeing your own abilities and strengths go up?

I know what you mean, but as a runner and bodybuilder (both individual sports) most of my athletic background is about beating my own personal bests. That is the main reason I created the category "milestones and personal bests" - because I always try to break my own personal records in sports.

But anyway...........now you have someone else to beat

And then I look forward to beating your new best time.....again...

Take care bro,

Robert

ah yes, but then my goals dont include hanging back contests really

plus i wouldnt be so good at it tonight as i have been using the captains of crush number 2 gripper all day (im really close with my left, and closed with the right about 30times, including once for 5reps - crazy as i couldnt do one two weeks ago!).

i will test it tomorrow when im training with people to eg me on!

jonathan

Awesome,

That's what I like to hear. I know, hanging from a bar wasn't exactly a goal of mine either, but I found it to be fun, motivating and increasing grip strength, while stretching and even training my back muscles. So I keep on doing it

And if we go back and forth, beating each other's time, I think it will make training that much more fun

It's just something totally different then a bench press contest, or squats, or whatever, and really trains the mind to fight through the pain as well.

Increase in mental strength, increase in grip strength, increase in flexibility, and being able to set new personal records

Keep on "hanging" around. I'll see ya on the 2 minute platform soon!

-Robert

Hey Jonathan,

I was thinking about that the other day, that you weigh around 228 and currently I'm only at about 180, so I figured you had a lot more weight to hold. But I also figured you must be a lot stronger than me so maybe it evened it out

I have some blisters too, I have to wear a bandage over them so they don't break open and wear non-leather lifting gloves to cover up my hands.

Good luck on your next attempt. I look forward to seeing the NEW time I'll have to beat

Have a great day man,

Robert

Hey, cool idea!

I tried today for the first time, i got 1:27.

BUT i have a lot of exuses - do you want to hear them??

Anyway, the guy i asked to take the time looked somehow stupified, i had to tell him it was a bet to make him take the time for me He said it's very easy to hang there for some minutes.

He didn't say a word during the attempt, not even when i asked him (several times) how long i've already been hanging there.... After a minute or so he said "3 minutes should be easy".

Afterwards he wanted to try - he got 41 seconds *hehe*

So, tomorrow i'll try again. Perhaps i should do it BEFORE my work out - today i'd already done deadlift, pull ups, barbell rows before - not to mention the squats, bench press, dips, military press, crunches and calf raises

So long,

Daywalker

EDIT:

Robert, with your monstrous popeye-forearms you shuold be hanging there one-armed forever!

Think of Indiane Jones - the skinny guy hang there with one hand dangling off a cliff while holding this girl with the other hand! And i think he even managed to pull them both up!

Okay, today in the gym i tried again BEFORE the workout, i got 1:54 this time. I made a tactical mistake when i tried to change the grip after 1:50 to gain an advantage for the last burning seconds and slipped. I'm confident that on wednesday i can smash through the 2min barrier

What about Topher? How many minutes can you hang there?

I'm gonna add this exercise to my workout now, i want to be hanging around for some time longer

In a few months 5min maybe

Awesome!

Sorry I missed your post yesterday:

Anyway, the guy i asked to take the time looked somehow stupified, i had to tell him it was a bet to make him take the time for me Confused He said it's very easy to hang there for some minutes.

He didn't say a word during the attempt, not even when i asked him (several times) how long i've already been hanging there.... Razz After a minute or so he said "3 minutes should be easy".

Afterwards he wanted to try - he got 41 seconds Very Happy *hehe*

hahahahahahah, I know man, my friend thought he could hang for 20 minutes! But he did get a respectable 1:33. My other friend got 1:57, still the longest time so far. I didn't try today, but tomorrow is back workout day, and I'll be aiming for 2 minutes.

Yeah.........where is Topher on here! Toph-dogg, come out come out wherever you are.....rumor has it you can hang for MINUTES!

Robert, with your monstrous popeye-forearms you shuold be hanging there one-armed forever! Wink

Think of Indiane Jones - the skinny guy hang there with one hand dangling off a cliff while holding this girl with the other hand! And i think he even managed to pull them both up! Wink

Yeah, movies are silly. Hanging is so hard! I'll try one arm and record my time for fun

Let's race to 2 min........Jonathan, Alex, Topher, Michael, anyone else????????

Don't sing it, bring it!

Big Forearm Robster

Awesome, we have a new record! The first person to get over 2 minutes. Our first female competitor and she beat all us.

Tell her great job from me!

Now let's see you break the 2 min barrier now, Man who walks through Day.

Thin Thin Flat Him

Okay, how about an honorable mention for Most Improved? When you posted this thread I could not support my weight at all. Today I got 20 seconds! So, my improvement, based on my initial attempt is... well, it's infinite! Better watch out, I'm hot on your heals!

Awesome work Sirdle! Keep it coming!

Today I posted a new record for myself 1:52, only 2 seconds behind Daywalker, to move into 2nd place. I was timing myself so if someone had been telling me the time, I'm sure I could have dug deep for another 9 seconds to get a time of 2:01 and break my goal of 2 minutes. But it will wait for another day, Thursday sounds good since tomorrow is a rest day for me.

Anyone else given this a try yet? It is becoming one of my favorite things to look forward to at the gym

So world, prepare... *maniclaughter*

Today i improved my PB by 16 seconds - that means, 2:10

Rob, forget about two seconds behind Daywalker - you're 30% of a minute behind me!

I was only lucky that my girlfriend didn't want to try today...

Sirdle, good improvement! You'll reach infinity soon, young padavan, twenty seconds are only the beginning

Robster, keep it coming! I really enjoy the competition here! Next time i'll try the rack contest thing.

Maybe you could edit the user's records into your first posting, that way we won't have to scroll through all the pages everytime in the future, when this thread is gonna be 30 or so pages long

Cheers,

Daywalker

nice work daywalker. i have not tried the hanging back for a while as im concentrating on strength, rather than endurance. plus i hang off my squat cage, so i have to hold my legs right up (which hurts after a while).

can i do a lockout with 230lb for as long as i can and count it?

got 295kg (650lb), which is all the weight that would fit on my bar at home, locked out for 4seconds today with a mixed grip that hurt!

jonathan

plus i hang off my squat cage, so i have to hold my legs right up (which hurts after a while).

Yes, i know the problem, and you're even much taller than me!

can i do a lockout with 230lb for as long as i can and count it?

Hm, why not, i'll try that too and see if it's easier or harder

got 295kg (650lb), which is all the weight that would fit on my bar at home, locked out for 4seconds today with a mixed grip that hurt!

Today i'm gonna try that! But why use a mixed grip? This is a strength test for the GRIP, i think we should do it with both hands pronated. That way it's less stress for the back and more on the hands.

CU later,

Daywalker

i do do pronated too. there is another board i occasionally post on called fortifiediron.net where they have a grip challenge. one of the exercises is how long you can hold 405lb (183.8kg) for with double overhand. last night i managed 19seconds. it is still a real challenge with mixed grip, my grip today is wrecked and last night i was exhausted!

jonathan

Ahhahahaaa, this is a cool thread. I have a few questions though:

- Exactly how wide is the grip?

- What position can the legs be in?

- Are the palms of the hands facing forwards, or are they curled round to face yourself?

- Can you wear gloves?

I will attempt this in the next few days, and I will probably suck big time, but I am interested to know, as the numbers I've been reading on the thread don't mean anything to me until I have tried myself.

Hey Richard, cool that you join in!!

- Exactly how wide is the grip?

I'd say as you wish. Take the grip you think it's best.

- What position can the legs be in?

That depends on how high the bar is - i have to lift the legs up as the bar is not very high. But do what you want with your legs, swing them around if you think it's gonna help

- Are the palms of the hands facing forwards, or are they curled round to face yourself?

Rob said a pronated grip, that means palms forward, knuckles to the back. I believe this is easier than a supinated grip, not entirely sure though.

- Can you wear gloves?

Don't know, Robert?

I'd say, of course, why not, you wussy

I will attempt this in the next few days, and I will probably suck big time, but I am interested to know, as the numbers I've been reading on the thread don't mean anything to me until I have tried myself

You're right, cool attitude! Keep it coming

Next week i'll try to improve, but first i got to do the rack lockout again.

Greeetings,

Daywalker

- Can you wear gloves?

Don't know, Robert?

I'd say, of course, why not, you wussy

Well I normally work out in my Ninja Costume which comes with gloves. I will make an exception in this case if the test is to be done without gloves. I take it I can still use my Ninja Meditation Techniques?

Thanks for your answers

Hey Richard,

Glad to see you jumping in to this contest too. I had a longer response but over at my friend's house I wasn't able to get it posted properly

Anyway, best of luck man! Hang in there, no pun intended.

You can use all the meditation you wish.

-Robert