Capoeira

Yes I do Capoeira - I'm loving it. I've done many other martial arts before but am now only doing Capoeira.

Definitely depends what one is wanting out of it - fitness, show, self-defense, fun, sport/competition, etc....

Capoeira for me is the best one, since there is music and rythym, and since the movements are so wild - I just love it. It is just a feeling that it is completely right for me.

Every other martial art I've taken has either focussed on competition, yelling, aggressiveness, isn't effective, or is boring...

I"m not yet able to fly around and do all the twisty handstands, but my kicks are good and I'm slowly improving =)

I go 3 times a week.

It looks really great from the sites I looked it up on.

It is something I would definately like to try, so may see if there is anywhere offering it over here. Is it an equal choice for men and women ? Only one site had women saying they felt they weren't treated equally with the men and that would definately put me off.

I've never tried capoeira, but it definitely looks interesting. I took Tae Kwon Do for a couple of years and loved it. Had to take some time off after having my daughter and then my ex-husband and I never did have the money to get back into it. Kind of sad really. But it was such fun.

It looks really great from the sites I looked it up on.

It is something I would definately like to try, so may see if there is anywhere offering it over here. Is it an equal choice for men and women ? Only one site had women saying they felt they weren't treated equally with the men and that would definately put me off.

my instructor is female and over half my class is female. and the class is free. I say the roda in flagstaff is equal

Classes are equal 50/50 I'd say, and men/woman participate and play together equally in my school.

Some schools are aggressive and others are not. Some will actually compete in contact rodas (sparring), rather than playing capoeira (just dodging and holding back from really injuring someone).

I initially joined a very aggressive capoeira school, and it was horrible instruction with bad teachers that criticized and yelled. The school I'm at now is so full of positive energy (called "ache"), and so lively and fun.

So definitely checkout a few different schools first...they are not all the same.

• 5 months later...

for the capoeiristas in Brazil, it's more of a lifestyle than a "martial art."

you know, they have schools in rio and sao paolo that work like orphanages to keep poor kids out of gangs. they practically live like monks in some of those places.

i know the history of the art and i have studied it at ucla (theater majors get to take cool stuff like this for actual class credit).

but does anyone know a good site that tells all of the different belts and levels? i don't know that part...

@robert: it was created by the slaves in brazil. they knew that if the portuguese saw them practicing self defense, they would be beaten or killed, so they found a way to hide it. they made it look like dance and they played music. they took this from angola, where the tribe's men would compete in fight set to music. but for brazilian slaves, the slave masters and colonists just thought they were having fun. then when they had the revolution, the capoeiristas played an important role in the fight.

the couple that goes 4th in this clip should give anyone who has never scene a fight a good idea of what one might look like, though they are actually just doing a demo and barely touching each other...

is also a good example

Hey, veganmonk - my brother-in-law was thinking about getting his son into capoiera after seeing a demo, which I think is very cool. I told him to check out Axe, but don't know much about the club. How young do kids start? His kid is too young still but when he's six or so I might get him a gift certificate or something.

I think I saw a fighter from Axe fight at the Bodog event back in Sept - won pretty quick with an armbar (???).

Anyway, it looks like a fun martial art, that's for sure!

I learned about Capoiera first when I was working as a volunteer at a charter school in Santa Cruz. The demonstration was for the kids, but I took a lot from it as well.

A friend of mine is a black belt and has explored many avenues in martial arts. I hope to give this one a try for sure.

• 5 months later...