The Soycheese Thread

Attila

Hi guys,

do you have any soy cheese favourite? Here in Germany you can buy soycheese at onlinestores. Most of them are gross imo. What do you have overseas? Are there any good substitutes to cowmilkcheese available in grocery stores and so on?

photos would be nice too!

Follow Your Heart makes the only good vegan cheese that should be eaten in the states...tofutti makes good cheese slices but if your gonna eat them I recommend never looking at the ingredients...these are the only two that melt easily and taste good

I tried the Slices too. They are okay for my taste but not as good as real slices imo.

I've never heart of Follow Your Heart but it sounds interesting. Actually I thought there would be much more in the states. Just two good cheese alternatives - that's a pity!

Follow Your Heart is made by the same people that make veganaise so if you have that in your area I would imagine their cheese is next...there is also this cheese spread that alot of people are fond of...I like it but it doesn't really taste cheesy(Nacho Chreese Dip by Road's End Organics)...personally for moneys sake I just use nutritional yeast and save the cheese for when I'm trying to make vegan things taste not vegan for non vegans

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, soy cheese makes me want to hurl. The only good cheese substitute that I've had that is vegan is Vegan Gourmet and it's made from nutritional yeast, I believe. All of their flavors are good and melt beautifully. You can even make fondue or queso with them easily.

Most vegan cheese substitutes are pretty nasty (slices like rubber, very processed ingredients).

The book "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" has a lot of vegan "cheese" recipes in that are supposed to taste very authentic, including meltable cheeses, block cheeses, etc., I have the book, but like many of my cookbooks, I haven't tried any recipes yet. Most are based on nuts and/or nutritional yeast.

Parma (?) is a good vegan parmesan substitute (just made from walnuts and nutritional yeast, and maybe salt?)

The few times I've had the opportunity to have homemade cheese made with cashews I've been very pleased...its just such a hastle to do it

The few times I've had the opportunity to have homemade cheese made with cashews I've been very pleased...its just such a hastle to do it

recipe?

I just tried to make some parma on my own and mixed walnuts with nutritional yeast and some salt. It's quite good!