Jeremy's Blog

Guest veganpotter

Sounds like it was a sweet ride. Faster, as predicted

If the Cat 1 guys did 18-19 mph, I could definitely keep up as that's what I do on my solo rides. But I know they don't get out together that often, so I know they'd avg low-mid 20's and I couldn't hang with that. Not for 40-50-60 miles. No biggie though - the road is more a relaxing, kind of meditative ride for me anyway. I'll stick to hammering in the woods.

YES, you should definitely move before you end up getting comfortable there. I wish I explored a bit after college, but I was eager to get working and buy a sportscar, which I did. So I met my goal, but looking back, my goal was lame. Portland is awesome. It will definitely rock. Imagine riding out to the coast? - those hills - that'd be awesome. And hitting Alpenrose a couple times a week. Sweet. Oh yeah, and the million vegan restaurants. And all the like-minded vegan athletes. And awesome coffee. What am I doing here again?

Kristy says 'hi', by the way. She misses Portland too.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah those fast guys are really unpredicatable...do you ride with any of them in the Mountains??? As for the Mountains I still gotta give it up to Mountain bikers and cyclo cross guys....its way tougher than road cycling.

As for goals I too got my sports car but that was in exchange for getting scholarships(too bad she died a few weeks ago). As for the coast I'm really looking foreward to riding there and to Seattle(the Portland/Seattle ride is 202 miles I believe)...maybe with Andesuma which is another thing I'm looking foreward too. Say hi back to Kristy for me...and keep the oven warm...you never know when I may show up.

Yeah those fast guys are really unpredicatable...do you ride with any of them in the Mountains??? As for the Mountains I still gotta give it up to Mountain bikers and cyclo cross guys....its way tougher than road cycling.

That's true, but they do have roads in the mountains too. There usually aren't trees, boulders and roots in your way, but they're still challenging. You haven't ridden until you spend half an hour painfully spinning away up a mountain, then exhausted and holding on for dear life you go zipping down the other side. This and knowing the whole way that the only way back is to do it all over again.

Today was the closest I've ever gotten to that. I wasn't riding in mountains but there were a few stretches of a 1/4 mile hard climb with maybe a mile of false flats then more climbing. I'll get to a real mountain eventually...I'm not really looking foreward to it but surely some of the vegan cyclists in Portland will give me a death tour of some hills once I get there.

Today blew...my new cranks showed up since my wonderful K-Force Carbon cranks by FSA had a quality control issue. I was using Ultegra cranks for a few weeks while they evaluated my complaint. Anyway the FSAs kept coming loose so I sent them in and got them replaced today. I was planning on riding and once they were thrown on my mechanic side just ride home and don't ride more than 5 miles due to this special lock-tighit like substance he slapped on. I really wanted to ride but instead I killed myself with a second day in a row of body squats and some speedskating drills. Luckily there is always tomorrow. I'd like to ride for over 4 hrs but we'll see.

As for the coast I'm really looking foreward to riding there and to Seattle(the Portland/Seattle ride is 202 miles I believe)...maybe with Andesuma which is another thing I'm looking foreward too. Say hi back to Kristy for me...and keep the oven warm...you never know when I may show up.

the riding up here is unbelievable. In the cascades there are few passes with good roads where you can 15-18mile climbs in! (followed by 15-18 mile descents

the seattle to portland ride is just about the most boring thing on the planet, pretty much flat and not much to look at...but it is cool to say you did it.

Ahh I have fun riding in general...so long as it isn't on my trainer in front of the TV and I'm not stopping for red lights every half mile. Also maybe I'll do it with a couple vegans which should make it a blast:)

***Yesterday I couldn't get online but I did manage to get a good workout thanks to this lousy wind. I had a comfortable first hour then after that there were circulating winds for a bit over an hour...but the route home was terrible. I had a head wind the whole way that was maybe 15 miles an hour when it died down but it was more like 20+ with 30+ gusts...no fun at all when your by yourself. I was going 13mph struggling on roads that I normally relax going 20 on. Unfortunately it never let up until I got home and it was really painful just getting back. Today I paid for it and only spun...I normally loosen up but I actually felt worse as the ride went on...despite the fact that my intensity was low. Hopefully tomorrow will be a different story.

Its been tough getting any(good) training in lately. The weather has been bad on days I could ride...good on days I couldn't(due to scheduled obligations)...so I took the trainer out for the first time. Boy its boring...and it sure wastes tire rubber which isn't cheap. I can't believe a decent bike tire costs $40+ while you can get a tire for a car for less than that...it doesn't make any sense.

Oh...I just found out one of the two presents my mother forgot to give me will be here on Monday...I will be getting the food dehydrator I've been waiting for...this means lots of crackers, and yummy dried bananas for my cereals and things.

Finally...I get to put in a nice ROAD ride today...its gonna be cold and miserable but I haven't had a real road ride for almost a week and it sure is killing me.

I had a decent ride yesterday...it was 50 miles and I took it easy coming in around 2:45. I felt pretty good and wound up doing 4 sets of 40 lunges as well as a few speed skating drills. Today I'm stuck with class until dark so I'm gonna try to get a swim in. Last time I swam I hated it since I don't float like I used to.

Yesterdays ride was yet another miserable windy ride. I had more of that 13mph flat crap to deal with again. Today is even more windy so it looks like running and riding the trainer is what I have to live with doing. I really can't stand this crap and I can't wait to move to Portland...then maybe Santa Fe

I can't believe I'm still recovering from my lousy run...well it was a good run and I haven't really ran hard for 3 weeks. I felt good so I just kept going...much faster than I normally run...hillier too. It was an awesome run and I felt fine when I was done but 6 hours later I couldn't move and I still can't move and its almost 3 days later. Anyway I've gotta learn to take it easy even when I'm feeling strong. Luckily I'm beginning to feel a bit better so I can hammer it tomorrow and show that I can will never be able to learn from my mistakes

I had a great ride today. It was a bit windy but it was really nice to get back on the bike after a short hiatus. Too bad I can't ride again tomorrow

Ick...I haven't swam for a real long time and I paid for it today. My lats are terribly weak and my wrists got really tired. I swam about 1 1/4 miles which wasn't bad but the pace was hella slow compared to how fast I used to swim...I guess I've just gotta get used to my new body.

Ick...I haven't swam for a real long time and I paid for it today. My lats are terribly weak and my wrists got really tired. I swam about 1 1/4 miles which wasn't bad but the pace was hella slow compared to how fast I used to swim...I guess I've just gotta get used to my new body.

So, swimming, biking and running! Or do you still want it to be biking, running and swimming? Anyway, what was that you said about not wanting to be a triathlete?

I like doing those things...just not together...especially the running. Running doesn't go well with anything. I'm still a good enough swimmer to handle a lot of pro iron man athletes(the bad swimming pros...not the good ones) and I could ride with the top 30% of pros but then I'd never be able to walk once I got off the bike. But if they changed the running to most skips with a rope in 2hrs and 30minutes I think I'd be nearly world class.

Today sure did suck. I went to the local bike shop to pick up a pair of new booties(I can only find one) since I need them due to winter deciding to show up. Well I got them and went home to get dressed in my new winter gear. I had my full bib tights on($90), my new lobster gloves($40 on clearance), my new booties($30), and my new team jacket($100), and lets not forget my helmet($80). About an hour and a half into my ride I was going down a hill that quickly goes into an uphill so I downshifted and stood up...well my small cog on my cassette came loose(which should never happen because using it should tighten it) and as I stood and shifted my foot came down way too quickly due to the fact that the gear spun with no force on the rear wheel...so of course I face planted. The first thing I did was check my bike and all was well...then I saw my skinned up knee and the big whole in my tights...then I saw my palm which was torn(I think I can salvage those though)...after that I notice my new booties were ripped to shreds only 2 hrs after purchase...I also notice my jacket is fairly snagged up but no holes thank goodness. So I got up and pedaled my broken self home...once I put my hand on my helmet to take it off I knew something was really wrong. Its completely cracked...so basically I had about $200 in complete losses and I damaged $100 worth of other stuff thats useable within reason. This really stinks

Veganpotter,

If it was a Giro helmet they will replace it or at least pro rate it if it was really old.

I hope you did not get hurt though.

It was 0 degrees here this moring with a -12 deg windchill. So my bike it up for the winter. argh....

No it wasn't a Giro...it was a Louis Garnaeu helmet. I'm contemplating getting one next or just sticking to $30 Bell helmets for the time being.