George St. Pierre OUT the PRODIGY BJ PENN IN!!!

After a groin pull forced top 170 pound contender Georges St. Pierre to withdraw from his September 23rd rematch with UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, California today, the UFC was faced with a dilemma. Who could possibly challenge the champ on short notice and still be compelling enough to get fight fans excited?

The answer was a no-brainer – the last man to beat Hughes, BJ Penn.

And as one of the top fighters in the world, pound for pound, Penn eagerly accepted the opportunity to make it 2-0 against the premier welterweight of this era, who, for his part, would like nothing better than to settle an old score with Hawaii’s ‘Prodigy’.

In 2004, Penn, a highly regarded lightweight contender at the time, scored one of the biggest upsets in mixed martial arts history when he rose 15 pounds in weight to tackle and beat Hughes in his first-ever welterweight bout. The end came at 4:39 of the first round when Penn forced Hughes to tap out due to a rear-naked choke.

On September 23rd, the rivalry is renewed.

I am sad that george wont be fighting, I was really looking foward to that.

I dont know much about BJ Penn, I hope he wins .......but I dont like the word UPSET being used to describe his previous win over Hughes. To me UPSET opens doors to LUCKY. Everyones luck runs out.

I dont know much about BJ Penn, I hope he wins .......but I dont like the word UPSET being used to describe his previous win over Hughes. To me UPSET opens doors to LUCKY. Everyones luck runs out.

Bj Penn is the most decorated BJJ fighter in America. Nothing he does is a fluke or just luck. That being said as much as a I HATE matt hughes he is a damn touch fighter and it will be a tough fight.

Bj Penn is the most decorated BJJ fighter in America. Nothing he does is a fluke or just luck. That being said as much as a I HATE matt hughes he is a damn touch fighter and it will be a tough fight.

yeah I was just reading about him on the web. BJJ , bali jujitsu right?

It actually said he is quite good. It also said , which may explain my ignorance on him, that his last fight was before the Ultimate fighter premiered (which is when I began watching the UFC in earnest) So I can see your point.

ON the other question, I was not saying he was lucky, I was saying I dont like the word UPSET used on any topic, it sounds like he was lucky, which is unfair to him

That SUCKS.

I was really looking forward to that fight. Hughes and GSP are 2 of my favorites to watch (I'm not the biggest fan of Hughes either, but he's got awesome game. GSP is one of my faves though).

p.s. I think darthvegan was agreeing with you on the "lucky" thing. As do I.

p.p.s. "Lucky" is what Babalu probably got after teaching that Xyience gal to surf on the pre-fight show on Spike the other night.

That SUCKS.

I was really looking forward to that fight. Hughes and GSP are 2 of my favorites to watch (I'm not the biggest fan of Hughes either, but he's got awesome game. GSP is one of my faves though).

p.s. I think darthvegan was agreeing with you on the "lucky" thing. As do I.

p.p.s. "Lucky" is what Babalu probably got after teaching that Xyience gal to surf on the pre-fight show on Spike the other night.

then he is correct :lol:

whoa, talked about mixed emotions. i am sad to hear GSP cannot fight. i was looking forward to seeing him against hughes.

on the other hand, that means Penn is in!

the reason they called it an upset the first time was because hughes was already established as the most dominant welterweigt in ufc, he was famous. while it was penn's first fight as a welterweight, relatively unkown at the time. not very many ppl were familiar with him or knew how decorated he was. same thing happened with anderson silva. nobody knew who he was, so he "upset" chris leben after he knocked him out in the first round.

i look forward to seeing bj penn get his title shot.

oh, all the sources i read say it was a groin injury, i seriously doubt GSP is faking. i'm sure he welcomes the title shot and deeply upset he is too injured to fight. where did you read this? was it the sherdog message boards?

Hey a found it again.......I never find things a second time

http://www.ultimate-fighter.ca/ufc-blog.php?id=45

George St. Pierre loses Title Shot?

Keywords: ufc, read 305x

"Some really bad news. A leak has come out of George St. Pierres camp indicating that he will not be fighting in the upcoming UFC63 against Matt Hughes. Some folks think that GSP chickened out since it was a groin injury and now its an elbow injury, but honestly I just dont see that. GSP begged for this shot.

The big question that comes up now is who will fight Matt Hughes now in UFC 63 if this comes to be true. My personal feeling is they will give it to Diego Sanchez who as much as I want to say otherwise has earned that right. Or they might give it to Joe Riggs as was stated on our boards, but honestly Joe Riggs doesnt stand a hope against Matt Hughes. We all remember what happened last time. What are your thoughts? Sound off on the boards. GSP's title shot post poned again"

i saw the commercial for ufc 63. it's pretty cool. for those who have not seen it, it goes something like this. first highlights of matt hughes with the announcer saying "matt hughes... the welterweight champion of the world.... he has dominated every fighter he has faced in the octagon... EXCEPT ONE..." switch to highlights of bj penn choking out matt hughes. "bj penn never lost the title... coming to claim what is rightfully his". it's a pretty awesome commercial.

• 3 weeks later...

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT! there could be a new champ!

i am also looking forward to the return of lil evil jens pulver, and mike swick vs. david loiseau.

i was watching the countdown to UFC 63. in an interview with mike swick, he said, "my secret weapon... is wheatgrass juice. gives me power, strength, endurance. hopefully by the time david loiseau sees this, it will be too late for him to catch up to my weeks of wheatgrass shots."

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT! there could be a new champ!

i am also looking forward to the return of lil evil jens pulver, and mike swick vs. david loiseau.

i was watching the countdown to UFC 63. in an interview with mike swick, he said, "my secret weapon... is wheatgrass juice. gives me power, strength, endurance. hopefully by the time david loiseau sees this, it will be too late for him to catch up to my weeks of wheatgrass shots."

another mention of a vegan source for power very good.

That would be great :D

I wish BJ wasnt such a cocky lazy ass bastard. He was destroying matt for the first two rounds.

I guess that I wonder how much cadio a guy can have, when he is trying to keep weight on . I mean Matt is a big welterweight, so he cadios down. but bj is small and I dont know how much cardio he can do without going down to his more natrural weight.

I think by may always peter out in the welterweight division.

Figuring out what division to fight in and making sure you don't go into a fight without enough fitness is a big part of the training. If you lose you lose, lets not talk about wether the weight classes are against him or wether he had enough notice.

Having said that he was amazing in the first two rounds. Although Matt won, BJ was way more exciting to watch.

Did BJ gass out because of incorrect cardio? Dieting? Or did the effect of the crazy pills wear off?

Notes to self; drink wheatgrass, improve flexibility.

Hey Darth; long time no talk!

I did not see UFC 63, but I read the written account of the fight. I am bummed that BJ lost.

Hughes' corner prob. told him to just 'hang' with BJ for the first two rounds, then go in for the kill on the 3rd. It's that strategy which helped Hughes win.

Igor, did you watch the pre-fight on Spike? BJ was saying that cardio was 'boring' to him. So I can only imagine that he was not doing much of it during fight prep.

Personally, I do not like the Miletich camp at all; with the exception of Franklin. I am beginning to think that the UFC should be renamed the Miletich Fighting Championships.

Did BJ really get hurt that bad during the 3rd round? Like I said, I did not see it on PPV.

Steve

Vegan Power

Figuring out what division to fight in and making sure you don't go into a fight without enough fitness is a big part of the training. If you lose you lose, lets not talk about wether the weight classes are against him or wether he had enough notice.

Having said that he was amazing in the first two rounds. Although Matt won, BJ was way more exciting to watch.

Did BJ gass out because of incorrect cardio? Dieting? Or did the effect of the crazy pills wear off?

Notes to self; drink wheatgrass, improve flexibility.

Hey Darth; long time no talk!

I did not see UFC 63, but I read the written account of the fight. I am bummed that BJ lost.

Hughes' corner prob. told him to just 'hang' with BJ for the first two rounds, then go in for the kill on the 3rd. It's that strategy which helped Hughes win.

Igor, did you watch the pre-fight on Spike? BJ was saying that cardio was 'boring' to him. So I can only imagine that he was not doing much of it during fight prep.

Personally, I do not like the Miletich camp at all; with the exception of Franklin. I am beginning to think that the UFC should be renamed the Miletich Fighting Championships.

Did BJ really get hurt that bad during the 3rd round? Like I said, I did not see it on PPV.

Steve

Vegan Power

someone gave a link to a YOUTUBE video of the fight

So I was able to watch the title fight for free

Now I thought franklin was from ohiio, like cincinatti, or cleveland. I thought all Miletich fighters were training in Iowa? I did see franklin in the corner for Hughes. Interesting.

Hey Pazios02,

Yeah, Franklin is from Ohio, but he trains with the Miletich team.

Can you send me the link to the fight?! That would be cool to see!

What made me dislike Team Miletich was the tendency of non-Miletich fighters come in and 'stand up' with a Miletich opponent when their forte was BJJ or ground fighting. The Arlovski / Sylvia fight was a prime example.

Here is Arlovski, an amazing BJJ fighter who could have broken Sylvia's foot off of his leg. Instead, he opted to stand up with Sylvia, who cannot ground fight if his life depended on it.

Vegan Power

Steve

Hey Pazios02,

What made me dislike Team Miletich was the tendency of non-Miletich fighters come in and 'stand up' with a Miletich opponent when their forte was BJJ or ground fighting. The Arlovski / Sylvia fight was a prime example.

Here is Arlovski, an amazing BJJ fighter who could have broken Sylvia's foot off of his leg. Instead, he opted to stand up with Sylvia, who cannot ground fight if his life depended on it.

Vegan Power

Steve

here you go steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXM70So3J9g

but I think that the video has been removed. says that copyright infringement. requested by Zuffa entertainment. (dana white)

Sorry my friend, but watch for it next time. Early in the morning.

Hey Pazios02,

Vegan Power

Steve

here you go steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXM70So3J9g

but I think that the video has been removed. says that copyright infringement. requested by Zuffa entertainment. (dana white)

Sorry my friend, but watch for it next time. Early in the morning.

Yea its been deleted due to copy right infringments. I found it the next day and was able to watch it. So pretty much if you want to watch the title fight youll have to watch it next day. Before anybody flags it and it gets deleted.

Vegan Power

Steve

Could you explain that? I'm not doubting I just don't get it. Did Arloski not attempt the ground for a specific reason, other than getting hit in the head?

Here's BJ's explanation for round 3. I guess it happens that a fighter injures themself, quiet regulerly, for some reason.

http://www.nokaut.com/?id=12&solo_news=450&lang=e&cur=eur

arlovski injured his left knee and ankle in the second round of his fight with tim sylvia. it made it nearly impossible for a good takedown or land any more kicks. that's why for the last 3 rounds he only threw punches. i dont know why tim sylvia never tried to push the fight more. i think it's because he was trying to avoid getting knocked out again. so he coasted his way to a decision.

article about the injury.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=5015