Vegan Holiday Festival in Portland, OR Nov 18th

robert

2006 Vegan Holiday Festival

Saturday November 18, 2006; 11am to 6pm

Lincoln High School: 1600 SW Salmon Street

In Downtown Portland; $5 admission, at the door

Northwest Veg is pleased to join with Robert Cheeke of Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness to sponsor the 2006 Vegan Holiday Festival on November 18th. Everyone from the merely curious to vegan is welcome to attend, and will find easy and simple steps to eat and live in a more sustainable and compassionate manner.

The Vegan Holiday Festival will feature world renowned speakers, plus a wide variety of exhibitors and participating non-profit groups will offer information on nutrition and health, exercise, cooking and baking, the environment, and proactive steps for a promising future. Holiday themed and animal-friendly products and services including crafts, gifts, and food will be available.

Speakers and presenters include “Mad Cowboy” Howard Lyman, a 4th generation cattle rancher turned vegan activist; Author and Chef Beverly Lynn Bennett; Author and Professional Triathlete Brendan Brazier; Culinary Expert Chef Al Chase; Raw Food Chef Ani Phyo; Animal Rights Advocate Matt Rossell from In Defense of Animals; Founder of Living Harvest Charles Holmes; and the Chefs from Blossoming Lotus Café here in Portland.

Robert Cheeke, President of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness, decided to present the Vegan Holiday Festival because of a need to counter the unthinking cruelty that goes on in food and clothing production for the Holiday Season. He wanted a Festival to uplift, inspire, educate and motivate people to make healthier and more compassionate food and lifestyle choices now, and throughout the rest of the year.

Portland was recently voted as the #1 Vegan-Friendly City in America by PETA, and was placed #2 by VegNews Magazine. The vegan community has been growing in Portland, with a number of new vegan restaurants and stores opening in just the past year. Robert's goal behind the Vegan Holiday Festival is to strengthen our vegan community and to support the vegan companies, businesses, individuals and groups here in the Northwest.

• Vegan Holiday Festival Co-sponsors: Blossoming Lotus, VegNews Magazine, Vega, Veganopolis, Food Fight! Grocery, Proper Eats, In Defense of Animals, Herbivore Clothing & Magazine, Living Harvest, and Northwest VEG

• Public Transportation options to the festival: The Kings Hill/Salmon Street MAX stop is 2 blocks west of Lincoln High School every 10 minutes. Busses 15, 18, 51, and 63 pass nearby

• Volunteer Help Needed: To find out about volunteering at the Festival and receiving free admission, contact Heather at [email protected]

• For More Information: visit www.veganholidayfestival.com or contact Robert Cheeke at 541-231-6269 or [email protected]

Edited by robert

It actually might be bigger than it sounds! I met with Chef Al Chase last night, talked with davidtarrfoster, xnickx, and others and this could be big, and potentially much bigger than the successful Vegan Vacation.

I'm working hard on a plan, and outline, and recuiting the experts to present at this event.

We're thinking of doing it before Thanksgiving because it is such a depressing and sad time for Vegans. We can uplift and motivate and inspire vegans to go back home to their families with all kinds of new ideas for foods to eat and rejuvenated enthusiasm for veganism during these tough holiday months with sad traditions and dreary weather.

I'll keep you updated. I just thought of it 48 hours ago, but I'm already jumping on it and planning it out

Vegan Holiday Weekend in Portland, OR!!!

That sounds like a great idea, though would just a weekend be the best idea? I'm not sure if it costs more to fly or whatever during holiday seasons, but maybe it could be like a 3 - 4 day event.

What are you thinking, like the first or second week in November?

If you have it before Thanksgiving...why not make it a thanksgiving type dinner?! The Thanksgiving time doesn't have to be a sad time then (Though I've always enjoyed Thanksgiving for the mass amounts of vegetables in one meal, pre-vegan and present).

My girlfriend and I will definately come to this. We had planned to come to Oregon around this time of year to sight-see and apartment hunt (we plan to get out of our lease, and move to PDX January 2007).

We were bummed we missed the vegan vacation. So,I'm stoked that we can come to this!

I definately want to go to Veganopolis. I remembered when they first opened and I went in there with a veganbodybuilding.com flyer and told the owner about VBB.

We should also hit up some Thai places for lots of good curry!!

We also want to visit foodfight and anything else vegan and fun to do.

Plus I'd like to introduce my gf to any of the forum members. And we could all hangout and lift weights

A 3-4 day event would be cool.

That sounds like a great idea, though would just a weekend be the best idea? I'm not sure if it costs more to fly or whatever during holiday seasons, but maybe it could be like a 3 - 4 day event.

What are you thinking, like the first or second week in November?

If you have it before Thanksgiving...why not make it a thanksgiving type dinner?! The Thanksgiving time doesn't have to be a sad time then (Though I've always enjoyed Thanksgiving for the mass amounts of vegetables in one meal, pre-vegan and present).

My goal is to have vendors there and lots of exhibitors, etc. and we could only do that for mainly 2 days. It won't be an event people will come from all over to attend, although some will, which will be awesome! It is an event to celebrate the vegan businesses, organizations, people and experts in the area.

It will most likely be a Friday, Saturday, Sunday event with the expo open on Saturday and Sunday to the public.

It is still in the early stages and I will delegate a lot more this time around so I won't have to nearly all the work myself.

If it all goes as planned, it will be totally awesome.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm having meetings with people/groups nearly everyday to get this thing put together.

Those who wish to travel from far away places are encouraged to come and of course we can just hang out the other days so stay as long as you wish. But the event itself will only be 2-3 days because we have to rent a space, equipment and ask businesses to basically bring a portion of their store to our location to set up. We can't do an event like this longer than 2-3 days, but it promises to be enriching and inspiring.

Any ideas are welcome and I'll bring them to the table for discussion.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The speaking schedule is set:

Speakers and Presenters Schedule:

Speaking Presentations (held in main auditorium)

11:30AM-12:15PM

Matt Rossell (In Defense of Animals)

12:45PM-1:30PM

Brendan Brazier (Best-Selling Author, Pro Athlete)

2:00PM-2:45PM

Charles Holmes (Founder of Living Harvest)

3:15-4:00PM

Howard Lyman (4th generation cattle rancher turned author/vegan activist)

Chef Demos (held in demo room next to auditorium)

11:30AM-12:15PM

Ani Phyo (Author/Raw Food Chef)

12:45PM-1:30PM

Chef Al Chase (Chef/Educator)

2:00PM-2:45PM

Chefs of Blossoming Lotus (Popular Organic Café in Portland)

3:15PM-4:00PM

Beverly Lynn Bennett (Author/Chef)

4:30PM-5:30PM

Panel with All speakers and presenters moderated by special guest

Bo Rinaldi, Award-Winning author and owner of Blossoming Lotus.