Vegetable Question/advice

Alex

I don't really eat vegetables anymore for a few reasons, but I want to start eating more again. What veggies should I start eating to start off and what vegetables have the most nutrition?

It's kinda hard to buy a lot of veggies, because they are expensive. Also we have one medium size fridge and 5 people in the house. So there is not a lot of room in the frigde.

So what I am basically looking for is, a few veggies with the most nutrition. I'll eventually add more though. This is just a start.

• 2 weeks later...
Collard greens make a nice wrap.

Marinate some sliced onion and mushrooms in some soy sauce (Nama Shoyu is best), then drain and wrap them in collard leaves along with some avocado, grated carrots, slices cucumber. Very yummy!

You must without a doubt add ginger to that...my roomate made me raw sushi with my sprouted quinoa which had all those things and ginger

I seem to gain FAT whenever I start eating root veggies, like carrots and potatoes.

Farmers feed their pigs cooked potatoes because they gain fat at a ridiculously more rapid rate than raw potatoes.

I would just say leafy greens like everyone else. Not even for the nutrition, but you feel good eating them and they probably digest easier than any other vegetable.

I fully agree! LEAFY & GREEN the 2 words you need look for.

I eat very little "veggies" nowadays. I'm not sure if we were meant to be root eaters anyway....

I seem to gain FAT whenever I start eating root veggies, like carrots and potatoes.

potatoes makes sense but carrots?

potatoes makes sense but carrots?

Maybe because they are high glycemic?

Also, root veggies are some of the most hybridized foods around, to create versions that are much sweeter than their wild counterparts. Some nutritionists recommend avoiding them or at least severely limiting them.

I don't think all high glycemic foods are bad...its just that you've gotta know how your body reacts to them and consume them accordingly. If I'm at home and not doing anything I won't eat more than one banana after 8pm...but if I'm stuck in the studio at 3am and need a boost I'll eat a banana and a handful of raisins to burn the midnight oil...if I did that at home I'd feel fine but I normally feel pretty lousy on my morning bike ride after eating alot of high glycemic foods the night before...but thats just me and I know a vegan cyclist that much better than I am and she eats icecream all the time before she goes to bed...she'd probably be better off if she didn't but its working anyway

I don't think all high glycemic foods are bad...its just that you've gotta know how your body reacts to them and consume them accordingly. If I'm at home and not doing anything I won't eat more than one banana after 8pm...but if I'm stuck in the studio at 3am and need a boost I'll eat a banana and a handful of raisins to burn the midnight oil...if I did that at home I'd feel fine but I normally feel pretty lousy on my morning bike ride after eating alot of high glycemic foods the night before...but thats just me and I know a vegan cyclist that much better than I am and she eats icecream all the time before she goes to bed...she'd probably be better off if she didn't but its working anyway

Sorry if you were responding to my post. I deleetd it and made own thread since it was a tangent.

[quote name="OdidnetneFarmers feed their pigs cooked potatoes because they gain fat at a ridiculously more rapid rate than raw potatoes.

I would just say leafy greens like everyone else. Not even for the nutrition' date=' but you feel good eating them and they probably digest easier than any other vegetable.[/quote]

Thats interesting to know. Dr. McDougall, one of the vegan Dr's who suggests a lowfat vegan diet for weight loss is very gung ho potatoes. His weight loss plan is based more on starches whereas joel fuhrmans is based on veggies.