bench goal

dale

ok, i need some input, so here's the deal:

my goal is to bench press 300 lbs. by April 1. right now, i don't know my absolute max, but i know i can do 225x7 (unassisted). below are some stats and my training history. i'd really appreciate your thoughts on whether or not hte goal is realistic, some *tricks* i could use to bump up the last few lbs., diet tips, etc.

years training: 3

Height/weight: 5'8, 170 (and i don't have stubby arms lol)

vegetarian date: jan 06

vegan date: may 06

thanks in advance

Sounds reasonable to me, you are in an age when gains come quickly. Think you should be good for around 120kg at the moment, 15kg gain in 7 month is good but does not sound impossible.

As for tricks, it would probably be a good idea to have a powerlifter help you with form, can probably make quite a bit of difference.

For diet, eating as much as you can would probably help .

Aye, gaining weight is a really good way to boost your bench

I would say that you are at perhaps 125kg/275lbs already at the moment. As Bronco says, powerlifting form will help you greatly. I think also doing a periodised routine, ending with one rep maxes will help condition you to move big weights for low reps.

Good luck with it - I am also very close to 300lbs - 297lbs at the moment!

Jonathan

go to http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/routines.html and check out the gaugler routine. It is a great way to increase your bench.

I wouldn't even touch anything as complicated as this. If strength gains is what you're after then just benching will increase your bench. There is always a lot of unnecessary assistance in such programs and the volume tends to be designed for people who are 'supplementing'.