Fruits-which would you recommend?

I woudn't necessarily say some fruits are "better" than others, but some have great health benefits that maybe others don't. Blueberries have lots of anitoxidants and are a very healthy berry packed full of nutrition. Oranges have lots of Vitamin C, avacados have lots of fat, bananas have a good amount of potassium, etc.

I might have a list somewhere, I know I've seen one that will list the fruits, what vitamins and stuff like that are in there and what main benefits they have.

Good question and I'll try to get back to you soon.

Some of the best fruits, nutritionally, are berries: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries.

Pink and red fruits have lycopene in, an imporant antioxidant for eye health.

Apples and pears are good to eat alone, as they are low glycemic (won't spike your blood sugar).

Bananas are high glycemic, so are best to eat with some fat and/or protein to lower the glycemic index a bit.

Choose a variety of different colors in your fruits, as each color is a sign of a different type of antioxidant.

And you want a list of how much "what" each fruit contains?

Peppers are actually better for you in terms of vit. C than oranges, so find a kind of pepper you like (sweet peppers taste pretty good, and they're in season now!) and eat it raw. After all, peppers are fruit.

Bananas are an excellent fruit before a workout -- you have three or four of those and you won't run out of energy at all (I've tried it before, it works!). Cranberries are good if you have a UTI, and generally have a lot of antioxidant activity going on. Apples are good too, but pears have more fiber.

Basically, eat nine servings a day of fruit and it's all good.

Why has nobody mentioned Durian?? It's called the "King of Fruits" for a reason!

Durian tastes like doodoo...there isn't another vegan food I hate more...and the places I've traveled have let me taste some of the worlds best durian which still isn't so hot

Why has nobody mentioned Durian?? It's called the "King of Fruits" for a reason!

Durian tastes like doodoo...there isn't another vegan food I hate more...and the places I've traveled have let me taste some of the worlds best durian which still isn't so hot

I've never tried durian, but I've read that it taste like custard, but smells pretty aweful (like feet? or just something rotten?)

Kind of makes you wonder whoever decided to try it first (since it doesn't look very appealing, all spikey and ugly, and smells bad).

I had one this year. I had someone pick me up one at the Asian Market in Philly. The smell was tollerable at first as well as the taste, but then it got really really bad. The guy who got it for me (Vietnamise) said to put it in the blender and mix it with Jack Daniels. All I could think was "is it so bad, I have to cover up the taste with Jack?

Some of the best fruits, nutritionally, are berries: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries.

Pink and red fruits have lycopene in, an imporant antioxidant for eye health.

Apples and pears are good to eat alone, as they are low glycemic (won't spike your blood sugar).

Bananas are high glycemic, so are best to eat with some fat and/or protein to lower the glycemic index a bit.

Choose a variety of different colors in your fruits, as each color is a sign of a different type of antioxidant.

And you want a list of how much "what" each fruit contains?

I agree about the berries. One of my favs is cantelope and it is not for the flavor but because it is high in C as well as A and some minerals .

I feel the difference if I eat cantalope and berries instead of bananas and pinapple for instance, especially as you mentioned for losing weight.

When I need to clear my skin I eat cantalope.

What sort of fruits are good, and why? Are there any specific reasons? Is thre also a list where I can find out how much each fruit contains? I somehow need more detailed info. on fruits, because I've ignored them. Except for apples and bananas, I don't know what else is good.

This site has alot of great information including the list you asked for.

http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml

• 4 months later...

Personally.......

I think bananas are overrated.

Avocados have 3 TIMES the electrolytes than bananas!

And they are more nutritionally diverse.

Kiwis have almost double the Vitamin C as oranges!

Strawberries are good for calcium.

Apples have acidophilus (probiotics) on their skin.

Cherry tomatoes are delicious.

You can't juice bananas or avocados..

(I believe) raspberries are actually higher in antioxidants

than blueberries.

Blackberries are VERY good for bowl movements.

Never eat melons with other fruits.

You can end up with digestion problems and gas if

you do improper food combining, especially with fruits.

Anyhow... bottom line is, variety, variety, variety.

I like this topic. Fruit is so yummy. For a long time, the only fruits I really ate frequently were bananas, granny smith apples, and oranges. I've been trying to incorporate more variety, and also to sample some of the fruits that I've never tried before or in the case of my recent trip to the asian grocery store, never heard of before. It's been a flavorful journey. The only thing so far that I've completely disliked was avocado, most other fruits I've enjoyed to some degree.

Lately, I've been seeing these "horned melons" in the grocery store:

http://www.swiftsubtropicals.com/images/hornedmelon.jpg

I've never had one. They look really exciting and colorful, but I wouldn't know how to eat it if I bought it and I definitely don't know what to expect. Anyone ever try one?

I've found that you have to combine avocado with something to really enjoy it. I tried it plain at first and couldn't stand them. Then I made a lettuce wrap type of this with Romaine lettuce, Alfalfa Sprouts, Sunflower Seeds, Cucumber, and an Avocado, that made me like them. Also, when I went raw I sort of forced myself into the taste, and now they're delicious.