Best way to train to add weight/mass?

robert

Any thoughts on this?

I'm a bodybuilder so I focus on muscle size, shape and conditioning, but now that I'm bulking, I am enjoying adding weight and overall mass.

Any suggestions on the best way to train to do this?

I assume I'll hear lots of compound exercises? I understand they are the best. I have to skip out on 2 of the best ones due to back injury.

So no Squats and no Deadlifts for me.

Any suggestions on what I should focus on instead of those exercises?

Yes, I have tried to recover and then slowly get back into those exercises but it doesn't work. My back just snaps and it is quite painful and I'm injured for days or weeks. I have back problems that don't seem to just "get better" so I have to work around it.

I'm doing a lot of bench presses, dumbbell exercises and heavy machines.

Bulking is pretty fun and I'd like to do it the best way possible. Just looking for ideas from those who have done it for a while or in the past. I've only really done it once and I could Squat back then (345 for 3 reps).

Thanks.

Rob you certainly can gain some weight even not doing squats or deadlift. When i was 160 (my heaviest as a vegan, probably my life) I did leg press, and other leg exercises, but not deadlift, and I might have just been starting to do squats. I'm going to try to bulk as well now. I've stopped with the protein powders, and im not going to take any others for a while, im just going to eat food and see where that gets me. if I dont bulk then ohh well, i can eat more. But the goal for me is to at least get back to 160 and lift more than i had been. I hope I can reach 170 eventually and not be all fat and bloated. Lots of people think im too skinny so if I tell them im 170, that would be cool. Anyways i hope your training goes well.

• 1 month later...

When your back snaps, do you ever get it looked at? That happened to me a few years ago when i deadlifted with very poor form. My friends had to lift me off the ground and into the car to go to the hospital. When i got an mri they said i had herniated discs in my lower spine.

I am in pain everyday of my life, it doesnt feel like it has healed really at all. People talk to me like it's a problem that heals on it's own, but it hasn't for me. Hopefully yours heals and you can get back to squats and deadlifts soon!