Is this offensive?

robert

Just curious what people think???

I'm offended everytime I see packaged meat. Why should I feel differently about this? I think all packaged meat is offensive, no matter what animal it comes from, but it's not any More offensive that it is human. Just the same.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/beccazeppelin/humancarne.jpg

thats a very good point, we talk about how the final meat product is so separated from the animal it came from, many do not think about what they are eating as animal. But to answer your question rob, i dont find it offensive. I dont really want to look at it either, just like with meat at the grocery store, even though this is clearly a human the suggestion is there, what with the plastic wrap and styrofoam tray and all. That person even looks like chicken.

It doesn't offend me, it's hard to offend me anyway I can quite imagine lots of people finding it 'offensive' though. I tend to think that being offended is a subconscious decision, it isn't just automatic, it can be controlled. I used to be more offended by what people said, but now I just think about where they're coming from and what their point is. If I don't agree with their point, or even if I think they're a moron, there is no point in getting 'offended' as such.

Not offensive to me, really, but kind of pointless?

I don't think it's that effective, partly because of what others have said: you don't see whole animals packaged up.

In the same vein: a while ago in Herbivore magazine, there was an ad for a company that made mock human 'meats." What do you think about that? I was both puzzled and intrigued (and kind of grossed out).

That's one of Equality's pictures isn't it ? (or it might be ThinkVegan's, i get the two muddled up since they run the same blogs, are a couple, are both Spanish, and have similar views about compassion etc)

I often find their artistic picturess to be intelligent, and well envisioned and created.

Well, google reckons that -

Definitions of offensive on the Web:

* causing anger or annoyance; "offensive remarks"

* unsavory: morally offensive; "an unsavory reputation"; "an unsavory scandal"

* unpleasant or ing especially to the senses; "offensive odors"

* nauseating: causing or able to cause nausea; "a nauseating smell"; "nauseous offal"; "a sickening stench"

It does not anger or annoy me in any way, i do find the concept of humans viewing dead bodies as food to be unsavoury and morally repulsive, as well as it being a concept which is unpleasant and ing, including to my senses, and dead bodies certainly produce some incredibly stomach-churning stenches. The way they leak nasty slimy blood-goop is so nasty , as well.

I agree with what Richard said - lots of people "choose" to be offended, in many cases seemingly because indignance is being used as a cover for a guilty conscience.... rather than think about important issues (ie, as intelligent people would do) they pick the no-brainer route of just going on about how offended they feel, and how insulted they feel due to being offended, or whatever.... and avoid the actual topic which was being raised.

You very often see whole dead fish and whole dead hens in packages like that, for sale .... the hens usually have no fetahers by that stage, but I don't think i would view the picture differently depending on whether or not the human had hair.

there was an ad for a company that made mock human 'meats." What do you think about that ?

I read about Hufu a while ago. It intrigues me, but the hufu site appears to have been some sort of scam ( ? )

I imagine it might be tasty like braised tofu, braised gluten, or something similar.

haaa yes, it's ThinkVegan's picture right enough -

This is also :

http://www.thinkvegan.net/media/1/20060909-dia_sin_carne_002.preview.jpg

And the description reads :

This is a photo of the protest that Igualdad Animal (Animal Equality) carried out on the International Meat-out day in Madrid (Spain): More photos: here.

And the page of the action: here.

I think it is creepy, and might make people think.

Of course, a typical response I hear to this sort of thing is "You are comparing me to an animal, that is horribly offensive..." It is hard to have a meaningful dialogue with people who view humans as gods compared to other animals.

-Joel

Of course, a typical response I hear to this sort of thing is "You are comparing me to an animal, that is horribly offensive..." It is hard to have a meaningful dialogue with people who view humans as gods compared to other animals.

I know exactly what you mean!

I went to the March for Animals in DC in 1990, and on the way back,, I grabbed copies of newspapers to see what was said. One writer said that some of the animal activists want to see people treated the way animals are (in reference to some statement about similarities between human suffering and animal suffering) where the point being made was that no living being should suffer like this.

It was as if the writer were coming from some Bizarro planet with some tweaked, reversed logic ("by compariing human and animal suffering, you intend that humans should be treated the way animals are").

I don't think people who eat meat would make a connection to be honest. It's slightly obtuse - you don't normally see an entire cow carcass packaged after all.

I don't really think it's very offensive, but of course it depends on who you ask.

I agree. I think becoming aware of the living animal and seeing the conditions, realizing the suffering is effective. I think people put it out of their mind and eat what they always have, and their families fed to them without thinking too much of it.

Indignance is commonly a (typically delusional) cover for a guilty conscience.

With regards to situations like the one with the people packaged up, many people will choose to feel "offended by something", then use that as their excuse to avoid thinking about it in reasonable terms, if at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the idea good, because it is different, a strong symbol and a huge eyecatcher. Plus, they don't just put up the shells, let people lay there and that's it. They have information available and do make the connection to packed up animal products in supermarkets. Like all action I hope it will make people think.

But it doesn't offend me, because

1. The humans chose to do lay down and are not dead

2. They are most likely animal rights activists, which brightens my day

3. I am vegan

4. I even like it, because I hope it will reach others, who haven't made the connection yet.

I wouldn't be offended I like the idea of humans killed for food much better than that of animals. Animals are innocent. Humans are hateful and generally thoughtless about their actions.

This makes alot of sense(evolutionarily)...if you put a bunch of cows and pigs in a stall with no food they will eat their own before they eat the other species...similar beings have similar nutrients in the body which makes you canabalistic before anything

• 3 weeks later...

The picture is creactive and has great educational value.

I would love to see a vegan artist paints some pictures to compare a man eating carnivour feeding on human flesh with a human stomach filled with animal carcasses. I think that would be equally stimulating .