MEET YOUR MEAT

I doubt that most slaughterhouse workers are sadistic torturers, because I believe that most slaughterhouse workers do not want to work in a slaughterhouse, but are there because they currently have no other options. I don't have enough information to know how often intentional cruelty - beyond that which is required to do the duties required of slaughterhouse workers - occurs. I've read a lot of conflicting information, mostly from anectdotal or highly biased sources.

I put the video on Myspace bulliten for others to watch. and I am eager to show my parents because my mom is already giving me a hard time with it. Saying i don't know how to be vegan and stuff like that, and she's not helping.

What two pics compassionategirl?

I am eager to get further on the road of Veganism.

• 3 weeks later...

Another meat eater watched this today. he was so shocked by what he saw that he vomitted half way through it.

I am very confident that he will begin to question old assumptions and to really examine the spirit that drives this kind of cruelty on.

he said he had "no idea of the extent of animal suffering for meat." and that meat did not seem very appealing any more at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool!

Thanks for sharing Nat.

Oh, and by the way. I still hang out with Kourtney quite a bit and she's doing well with the vegan diet. It was something that was totally new to her when she met me.

She just moved and doesn't have the internet hooked up so that is why she hasn't been online much.

I told her that the forum people asked about her and missed her

And Megan is doing great too. And I am playing with the cats a lot more now that I am home and not house-sitting all the time.

Well, back to eating and watching video footage of my film.

Take care, thanks for the updates

TTFH (Thin Thin Flat Him) -Robert

I don't have enough information to know how often intentional cruelty - beyond that which is required to do the duties required of slaughterhouse workers - occurs. I've read a lot of conflicting information, mostly from anectdotal or highly biased sources.

The only thing proven with Meet Your Meat is that it occurs. PETA aims on making the viewer assume the acts displayed in Meet Your Meat are happening in every farm/slaugtherhouse. Off course not every chicken farmer abuses his chicken as shown in Meat Your Meat, therefore you shouldn't rely on only this when trying to convince someone people to go vegan. A lot of people will try to argue that this doesn't happen everywhere, which you can't prove that it does. Meet Your Meat is an eye opener and it does make people think about what they are doing, but the sadistic animal abuse doesn't happen everywhere(although eating an animal while you don't need it seems pretty sadistic to me).

While peta has many slaughtehouse and factory farm footage exposing sadistic cruelty in these places, Meet your Meat is not about "sadistic" cruelty. It shows common day to day factory farming practices like debeaking baby chicks, branding animals like cows right on the face with a hot iron blade with no painkillers, hanging animals upside down and slitting their throatds so they bleed out one slow, painful torturous drop at a time, the small veal crates where veals are tied to for ALL their short lives without hardly any room to trun around, or spread their limbs, the farrowing crates for sows which is like a shoe box made out of metal bars, where the poor animal cannot even turn around or stretch out, etc. etc. etc.

So, in short, gymhater, MEET YOUR MEAT is a VERY accurate depiction of COMMON ROUTINE intensive farming and slaughterhouse practices, or, "what is in the job descritpion of the slaugherhouse and factory farm" workers.

But, I did post some other footage of Pilgrim's pride and other KFC suppliers, and also one of a kosher slaughterhouse, where there is SADISTIC cruelty in addition to the cruelty inherent in factory farms and slaugherhouses. But in my opinion, common sense dictates that in an de-sensitized environment like that, behind secret closed doors, with death, blood and destruction all around, and frantic animals squeeling and struggling and putting up a fight to stay alive, impatient, fed-up desensitized murderers who are probably miserable in their jobs probably take out their frustrations on the animals. I just dont see any room for mercy and compassion behind the closed, bloody, dark, hellish doors of a factory farm or slaughterhouse. Can you imagine what it must be like inside? Evil hell, plain and simple. But that just seems to be dictated by common sense to me - I dont need to inspect every factory farm or slaughterhouse to come to that conjecture.

But anyway that is just my lil opinion (but the right one I think ).

and at any rate, i agree with your last point: The factory farming itself is abuse, as is the ultimate act of killing/murder whatever you want to call it. So we should all be vegan. period.

But in MOST factory farms, the practices I mentioned, which can be summed up I guess with the phrase "mutilation without pain killers and a denial of the most basic freedoms like the freedom to turn around and stretch out your limbs" ARE common, at least in North American factory farms. I cannot speak for Europe, but by nature of factory farm is intensive farming with these practices.

And of course the ultimate act of murdering an animal just because you like the way it tastes dead and cooked is, some would argue, sadistic cruelty itself.

• 1 month later...

Ive seen other farm footage where the chickens were not debeaked, so I know that practice does not happen everywhere. Infact if you watch the stimulus response video on vegtv.com the chickens in that are not debeaked. So I ask, is what is shown in the PETA video common, or is the vegtv representation closer to the truth?

With all due respect to all, I think it is inane to think that cruelty behind the closed doors of slaugherhouses is uncommon. I also think that it is inane to think that there can be such a thing as a "okay factory farming." Intensive farming practices, with all their confinement systems, are BY DEFINITION cruel. And when this cruelty is coupled with commercial considerations, you have a good recipe for 'evil.'

It is common sense that in that atmosphere, all sorts of cruelty happens ROUTINELY!!

And to address the specific question about debeaking, according to OTHER animal rights groups, like Animal Rights International, debeaking is common. So it is not just PETA saying it.

And just in case anybody else reading this does not fully grasp the magnitude of the suffering caused to a baby chick by the practice of de-beaking, try this: grab a blow torch and burn your lips off with it. Does it hurt? Well, that is what it feels like to the baby chick. A beak is the most sensitive part of a bird. Slicing it off with a hot iron blade is excruciating for them. And all this with no pain killers, no anasthesia, bla bla bla I wrote on the history of this practice extensively in an earlier psot in this thread.

I think it is not just about good or bad farms or methods. Of course it is better to live in a nice prison and not to be tortured the whole day long. But it is still prison and finally ends up in the slaughterhouse.

The point is: Utilizing animals and killing them can never be done in a human way. It is just horror and has to be ended.

So besides discussing about how to make the animals lifes better (which is as well important) animal activists should never forget the point explained above.

I think it is not just about good or bad farms or methods. Of course it is better to live in a nice prison and not to be tortured the whole day long. But it is still prison and finally ends up in the slaughterhouse.

The point is: Utilizing animals and killing them can never be done in a human way. It is just horror and has to be ended.

So besides discussing about how to make the animals lifes better (which is as well important) animal activists should never forget the point explained above.

exactly Flanders.

• 1 month later...

I've seen it. It's horrible. Factory farming is a disgrace to human kind, no doubt.

I do believe that animals can live together with humans and even benefit from it (protection from predators, etc).

The Maasai in Kenya walking their cows, sheeps and camels in the middle of the savannah and the animals never went inside (they had them in their village at night). When I was in Iran I saw the nomads walking their sheep in nature. I've also seen family farms where the animals are basically a part of the family.

To get these pictures back we need to get people to eat a lot less meat. Right now the craving people have for meat (eating it three times a day) demands factory farming. There is simply no other way we can produce that amount of meat.

Slaugtering is horrible to watch, as is the killing of an animal by a predator in nature. Animals in nature that don't have the protection of humans never die of old age (exceptions being elephants and some whales).

When I try to convince people to eat less meat, I find that the health argument actually works best (we have fairly good animal laws in Sweden). It's a much easier sell. Eat alot less meat, cut out dairy and eat your greens. Few people argue with me on that. I'm also sharing Eat to live to everyone that wants to know how to lose weight and stay fit. Coming from a guy that is darned handsome and have lost 45kg and kept it, they tend to listen.

When I try to convince people to eat less meat, I find that the health argument actually works best (we have fairly good animal laws in Sweden). It's a much easier sell. Eat alot less meat, cut out dairy and eat your greens. Few people argue with me on that. I'm also sharing Eat to live to everyone that wants to know how to lose weight and stay fit. Coming from a guy that is darned handsome and have lost 45kg and kept it, they tend to listen.

I have no doubt.

It depends though really. Some people are more motivated by health and some are motivated by compassion. For me, personally, I would need more than health reasons to go vegan. The burden on my conscience of contributing to unspeakable animal suffering is what made me go vegan. But this has already been debated at length in the "Why I am vegan" thread under the vegan lifestyle category if you are interested in reading it.

At any rate, I bump this thread up for potential onmis that are lurking adn interested in veganism. Most of the rest of us have seen this expose already i know.