Trying to keep my fat intake under 20% of calories -- ideas?

lmmy

The hitch is that I'm also trying to do this while consuming over 1,600 calories a day (my minimum amount is supposed to be 1,810, but I figure I have a little give and take here), and it's been really hard to get a decent amount of calories without resorting to either fatty things, juices (bad bad bad, no fiber), or gorging myself -- something I hate, and due to past ED issues, makes me feel as though I 'need' to vomit.

So I need a list of low-fat, high-calorie foods. I got some bananas, but they'll take a couple days to ripen, and some dates, but those are too frickin' expensive to fill the (on average) 500-calorie gap between my goal minimum and what I eat before I have to start eating more than I'd like.

To get an idea of what I eat throughout the day, here's a list of what I ate today:

Breakfast:

2 figs

Luna bar (I need some sort of 'fast' food for breakfast -- limited time between when I get up and when I need to get to the bus. Should I up this to two bars?)

Didn't have lunch because I slept through the day -- not a usual thing! I only got 2 hours of sleep last night due to a combination of circumstances, and I was really unstable (breaking down in tears, frustrated to the point of yelling, etc.), so I needed to sleep (the nap I took fixed my instability). However, generally what I eat for lunch is some sort of grain and some sort of fruit.

Snack:

1/5 Endangered Species chocolate bar

1 1/3 cups wheat bulghur

1 Jonathan apple (they're all much smaller than the average apple you see year-round at the store)

7 black mission figs

Dinner:

Broccoli sprout, hummus, and red bell pepper on two slices of whole wheat bread

Green beans + garlic

Snack:

1/2 bottle Naked Juice Green Machine

2 Jonathan apples

2 tbsp ground flaxseed

1 date

.. And yet, eating all this, I managed to just barely meet my self-set minimum of 1,600 calories. I really don't want to resort to juices, some of which (like POM) are animal-tested and therefore NOT VEGAN. Plus they have no fiber, and I've set myself another goal to get over 55 grams of fiber every day. Help, please?

the obvious gap to me is legumes. they are higher in calories but low in fat and they are very good for you and filling. yummy.

this week, in order to get more variety in my diet, i made an enormous stew - 12 servings worth - with one full bag of brown lentils plus garlic, basil, parsley, tomatoes, carrots, celery, spinach, squash, zucchini, eggplant, capsicums, mushrooms, broccoli, onion and chilli... you could do the same thing with any types of beans. in fact i almost added borlotti beans as well but decided that would just be too much

remember you have to think about quality calories not just meeting your quota...

Okay, I'll try the beans 'n' lentils (though to be honest, I like peas better -- I have a sweet tooth, as seen!) and see if that works out. I mostly avoided beans because they were a hassle to cook when they're dry, and expensive when canned, and I always put tons of salt into them -- we'll see if the salt thing has changed now that my taste buds have become more sensitive. The problem with lentils is that, other than dhal (which is generally heavy on the oils), I have no idea how to season them. Any ideas?

I'll also look into doing some chilis, too (I don't like stews much), where I can add tons of veggies and never miss a beat. Thanks!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i love beans and legumes! i like them with flavouring, but plain too - delicious! one of my favourite quick n tasty meals is a mini tin of four bean mix plus a mini tin of corn. yum! tinned beans are expensive, really? here they are cheap as chips.

if you do chillis you can use unflavoured organic tofu as your 'ground beef' and get more protein and calories in that way.

going back to what i said about quality calories... the over processed foods like the chocolate bar and breakfast bar probably aren't doing you any favours.

my dahl used only a teaspoon of oil to saute onions and garlic in and everything else was dried spices and water, simmer on the boil for an hour or so. YUM!

I would add starches (potatoes, brown rice, etc.) They have a good amount of calories and little fat. I like to eat lunches centered around those items. My hungry is satisfied much longer on those meals than higher fat, less carbohydrate meals. I do not really like sweets that much, so I do not eat sweet potatoes that much but they are supposed to be very balanced in nutrition. If you like sweets, those might be a good choice.

If you are eating a vegan diet with goal of under 20% fat intake, you should explore the McDougall Diet, as that is what it is. Here is a link to message board about his diet:

http://www.vegsource.com/mcdougall/

It is a good knowledgeable community.

Other recommendations:

Based on your activity level, you might be starving yourself at 1600 to 1800 calories, in which case your body is likely slowing its metabolism. At your activity level (you posted you exercise almost every day and do other active activities), 1600 to 1800 might be a severally low level, causing your body to actively store fat, thinking it is starving.

Also, if you can, try to get more sleep. From my understanding, during sleep is when your body produces a lot of your dopamine and serotonin. If you are not sleeping enough your body might be craving food to give temporary boost to these chemicals.

Again, I highly recommend you visit that McDougal forum. The participants are very knowledgeable and helpful and you seem to be following a diet close to his already, so it would be easy for you to work his recommendations into yours.

Grains are more calorie dense and lower in fat than many foods. Try Quinoa, millet, amaranth, brown rice, etc.

Also, watch your intake of nuts and nut butters, oils. Ideally, don't use any oils or 'added fats', just fatty whole foods like avocado, when you need some fat, like on a salad. For 'stir frying,' you can replace oil with mirin --a japanese cooking sake--or cookiing sherry or wine or apple juice, which all give a mouth feel similar to oil, vs. using water.

Neal Barnard and Dean Ornish have lots of ideas for low-fat meals (though I'm not sure about calorie content).

Since good fats are essential to proper brain function and optimal health, I suggest you cut down to 1 ounce of added whole-food fats per day such as seeds, nuts, or 1/2 an avocado plus 1 TB ground flax seeds. Rest of the day, consume by volume, low-calorie high-nutrient foods, such as greens and vegetables, beans; followed by fruits, then some whole grains, if needed for additional satiety, lastly, as grains and starches are acidic, amongst other reasons, and not optimal foods for the base of a diet.

I highly recommend Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live program, not only for weightloss, but for the healthiest way to eat. You will be truly healthy once you make this your lifestyle. And those ravenous carb cravings dissipate when properly nourished, and so do those fat cravings, if that's your issue. By not denying you additional, realistic, necessary fats, in moderation, you lose that urgency for them and thus avert the bingeing.

It's truly all about balance. You will experience what being in nutritional balance really is and it's SO freeing!

Best thing that ever happened to me dietarily after going vegan; done all the other styles and was always out of balance. A lot of programs "work"; but to be truly nourished -- every cell of your body -- and to be in balance is completely different. Some only work for a while...a couple years -- off-on-off-on, etc.

You may also find that your particular needs require more fat! That was the case for me, which was amazing...I mean, I was a fat-phobe, bigtime -- everything fatfree was what I thought was optimal or that I got all the fat I needed naturally from the small amounts occurring in fatfree foods - I was totally wrong. When I increased my fat (good fats, of course) on Eat to Live, I actually lost fat! Not a ton, obviously, as that is not good either and will lead to imbalance just like overloading on starches; can't eat too many greens though

I found my particular balance It depends on the individual's history, genetics, and athletic level. They all play a role in how much each person will require. But to lose weight, Fuhrman's frame is to start with the 1 ounce added whole-food fats (no oils!) plus the 1 TB ground flax.

One tip: Consume your fats with greens; not grains or starches.

Good luck!

I am not sure exactly how much fat you need or do not need but if your goal (I am trying the same) is to eat under 20% of your calories as fat, eating a material amount of a concentrated fat source will likely make you exceed that 20%. Just as protein is in all foods to varying degrees, so are fats. For example, on adding fat to salads or greens, the average dark green is 12.5%+ fat, so no need to add fat to that, especially with the original poster's goal of 20% fat intake.

Most vegetables are in low to high teens as a percentage of calories as fat. Of whole foods, fruits, on average (there are some fruits with 15% fat) have the lowest amount of fat, but after that grains and starches are probably the next lowest but at around 5% to 10%+ of the Calories as fat, that is not exceeding low, especially for someone trying to eat an under 20% fat diet.

My point is that even if your minimum fat foods are supplying close to 10% fat, you are gong to hit around 15%+, without even eating a concentrated fat source and if you eat a material concentrated fat source, you probably will exceed 20%.

Note: I do eat small amounts of nuts and other concentrated fats. I am just warning that the calories and fat are so dense, in concentrated fat sources, that it is quit easy to eat too much. Just a few more pinches nuts, could turn that 100 calorie, 9 grams of fat snack into an indulgence of 500 calories and 50 grams of fat.

Edited by 9nines

Raven -

???

I don't have any kinds of cravings at all (except for the occasional piece of fruit), and I don't know quite how you got that from my post.

Rest of the day, consume by volume, low-calorie high-nutrient foods, such as greens and vegetables,

I said in my post that I am trying to get more calories -- not less. I can't possibly see how loading up on low-calorie foods would help this goal.

And I already try to take 2 tablespoons ground flax a day.

So your post really does nothing for me, sorry.

I am in same situation, trying to add more calories. Since I started limiting my fat intake, I have lost some weight. To replace those calories I am searching for more things to eat. Bananas are high in calories. Would eating two or three large ones a day have adverse affects? I used eat one with two other fruit sources, for four total servings (banana count as two.) Now I am eating two for 6 servings of fruit. Would three for eight be overload of sugar?

Raven -

???

I don't have any kinds of cravings at all (except for the occasional piece of fruit), and I don't know quite how you got that from my post.

Rest of the day, consume by volume, low-calorie high-nutrient foods, such as greens and vegetables,

I said in my post that I am trying to get more calories -- not less. I can't possibly see how loading up on low-calorie foods would help this goal.

And I already try to take 2 tablespoons ground flax a day.

Here is what my post should do for you:

One, it's a post in which effort was put in which would normally render a response of gratitude or acknowledgement.

As well, my references about cravings and bingeing were just two examples of being out of balance -- that's all; nothing more.

Two, it covers your nutritional needs in order to be healthiest.

Three, loading up on low-calorie foods is not just for those to lose weight; it is because they are the most nutrient dense.

Four, if you need to add calories, I covered that as well -- consume more good fats, according to your individual needs; it doesn't take that much. A second handful of nuts will supply a lot of calories if you are already full, and if it's simply more calories you need. If you don't want more fat, add a cup or two more of beans, which are calorically dense.

..So your post really does nothing for me, sorry.

That's too bad; sorry to read it.

My goodness, are you serious?

You brought up gorging and eating disorders. The best thing for anyone is to be in balance whether you have an eating disorder or not, whether you've conquered it or not -- the highest state of health, would/should be the goal, in my opinion, thus my post.

Why the flax and nuts? Because I was just illustrating the best program for health for you almost in its entirety. If you read the link and read what the program is about it is about nutritional "excellence" as it's called in the book; weight goals will eventually follow. It is the way to reach an ultimate state of health. It is also a basic format from which to tweak to your own needs, athletes are a good example -- if someone needs a bit more fat, they can add a bit; if they need more carbs, they add a bit, etc.

This is a discussion board to post opinions, suggestions, experiences, especially when someone asks for them. So take or try the advice you want or that sounds good; that's what I do when I get a variety of opinions.

Immy, calm down. Why are you getting so aggressive?

I have never seen Raven make a post on this forum that wasn't supportive and encouraging and furthermore, she always promotes good, healthy, celebratory eating...

Maybe it wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but I dont' think it warranted an attack...

People on this forum give advice based on their own experience, that's all anyone can do. That's what I did - I told you what I thought, based on what I eat and enjoy that I know to be nutritious and delicious food.

Raven just did the same thing... I can't see any harm in her recommendation at all, she's referring you to a way of eating that, although not exactly to your specifications, is very healthy and could help you in your individual goals if you tried it out. You didn't take on board her mention of the fact that you might actually need more fat - that's what her experience was. The point is, she was trying to help and I was surprised to see you cut her down. You often say valuable and powerful things on the forum, but I don't feel Raven deserved the confrontation.

Okay, now I'm getting aggressive because I'm being completely misinterpreted (likely because I'm disagreeing/questioning a beloved member of the forum): I was not being aggressive, I just dislike it when people bring in something completely superfluous.. I want to keep my fat intake under 20%; thus, I am not going to eat nuts or seeds. Sounds pretty simple, doesn't it? Apparently not, so I guess I should have added that to my first post.

I get the same way when someone adds in (or seems to) a completely unrelated bit of advice in math. I have a driving need to either eradicate it, or find out what the hell this person is talking about -- and if it's obviously superfluous, I don't bother with it. Yes, I have a stick up my ass about a lot of things.

I come from a vegan diet where fat intake was at or over 30% of total caloric intake, so I really don't think that's hte problem.

P.S. It also seems odd when you're calling me out for being "aggressive" when Raven was getting offended for me not being grateful for a piece of advice that she should have known, from my original post, that I was not going to follow.

some of your comments int his thread come across as aggressive statements. as far as i can see, Raven responded to you in kind but I doubt she would've done that had you not instigated that way of communicating. how did she know you weren't going to follow the advice? Raven wasn't suggesting you add things to your CURRENT diet (which seems inadequate in a few ways)

she was suggesting you change your ENTIRE diet and way of eating.

if what you're doing now isn't working, then it's worth considering. I'm having the same problem and I'm planning to seek advice of a professional sports nutritionist and get this sorted out. Maybe you should do the same.

Try sprouting wheatberries...I did it for the first time a few weeks ago and they taste great...good texture too...same with oat groats(although I've never done it) and spelt if you can find them...they'll have high caloric value

Hey, PrincessBee, you're a sweetie, thank you, it's truly appreciated.

No worries, though, this kind of stuff is sort of self evident, you know? .

lmmy (with an "L" -- interesting, I also thought it was "I"!), since PrincessBee ordered the "Eat to Live" book I lend out, if you'd like to read it, I can send you my copy. Just send it back in about a week or so. Afterall, your veganity may be at steak