Root of All Evil?

veganmonk

you should watch Real Time with Bill Maher.... 2 weeks ago he had guests that were religious, and they made a very good point "its not that religion is extreme and violent, its the people who are extreme and violent" ..... not the exact quote but close enough..... even though i hate religion, it is something to remember

"the process of non-thinking, called faith" HAHAHAHA that cracked me up

but religion is one of those things that we have that animals don't, and I don't think that's a good thing.

Religion strikes me as being surprisingly similar to Big Brother, in that respect ... and also in terms of "thought required to follow what's going on"

To me religions can be bad but not always...I'm an atheist brought up in a really conservative church but my church wasn't aggressive to non-believers...also I consider buddhism somewhat of an athiestical religion meaning the philosphy of it is one that followers base their lives upon...which to me is what veganism is...its a philosophy of doing as little harm as possible and like buddhism it has no god...so to me veganism is sort of a religion if you consider buddhism, taoism, daoism, shinto etc...religions

To me religions can be bad but not always...I'm an atheist brought up in a really conservative church but my church wasn't aggressive to non-believers...also I consider buddhism somewhat of an athiestical religion meaning the philosphy of it is one that followers base their lives upon...which to me is what veganism is...its a philosophy of doing as little harm as possible and like buddhism it has no god...so to me veganism is sort of a religion if you consider buddhism, taoism, daoism, shinto etc...religions

Exactly. Some of the ones you listed are the exceptions to what I mean. I mean, seriously, when's the last time you heard about people bombing each other's homes over Buddhist beliefs?

Yeah the buddhists kill folks too. I know there were some subway bombings in japan using some kind of poison gas, buddhists were behind that one. I know there are more examples but i cannot remember them. Religion though is not like big brother, you choose religion but you can't really choose your government unless you move from like the U.S. to China. Also most religions are not compulsary. If you dont pay taxes you go to jail, if you dont give to church the punishment...going to hell, feeling bad? I think government could be better compared to a cult, then again the line between a cult and organized religion is so very thin.

Those were kinda buddhists and kinda not...they followed a prophet who pretty much considered himself a god but in the communty the live in amongst themselves they lived a pretty buddhist lifestyle but not quite buddhists...a large mass of them commited suicide after the bombings but there are still some followers left.

Religion though is not like big brother, you choose religion but you can't really choose your government unless you move from like the U.S. to China.

Oh gosh, you seem to have mistaken what i said for something serious.

I was talking about the obscenely vacous and somewhat retarded IMO silly "reality" teevee show which must have run for a zillion series by now, not the overbearing & ubiquitous existence of some kind of all-watching governmental invasion of privacy and citizen-tracking setup, as featured in 1982.

People can choose whether or not to watch Big Brother.

It has to do with what the religions teach.

Christian and Muslim faiths teach principles that instill violence, such as:

-all non-christians go to hell

-all non-christian faiths are simply cults

-muslim way of life is the only way of life and all else is evil (ie: woman should be controlled on a leash)

-non-tolerance for other faiths (such as the muslim's not permitting the jews to go inside the sacred mosque area)

These kinds of separatist / judgemental / arrogant teachings can do no good.

And as far as I'm concerned, any religion or religious leader that doesn't preach vegetarianism (or better veganism) cannot make any claim to moral advancement as a human being at all, and has nothing to offer spiritually.

I think this is what does separate Buddhism from the above. The teachings focus on what is actually good based on this reality and what we do, instead of blind faith and judgement.

In all reality if you actually read the New Testament but moreso the Old Testament...men are supposed to control women as well(which includes punishing them for not listening to you). Islams poor treatment of women comes from the Old Testament since they believe what that book teaches along with the Koran...the only two acceptable religious documents to mostly all muslims. Islam is no worse other than the fact that they believe what they're supposed to believe...most Christians don't. I'm not advocating treating women poorly but I think people that disagree(which should be everyone) with that part of their faith need to defect and find something better that accepts a better way of living for all.

That's my problem with a lot of "old" ways of thinking. This planet is as much mine as it is everyone else's. I'm not superior to any woman, people of different race/ethnicity/skin color, or animals, and could never imagine myself causing violence to someone because they're not exactly like me.