Is your job Vegan?

Aaron

I thought mine was. Or at least vegetarian. I teach at a small (20-30 kids) middle school. There's 2 other teachers and a counselor. One of the other teachers is vegetarian.

When I interviewed I was fairly explicit that I don't eat meat and didn't want to handle it or be involved with it. Perhaps not even be present for it. And the Director of the school who hired me was fine with that and said it could be taken care of without issue.

Every morning the kids get bagels with cream cheese.

Two weeks from now it's my week to handle serving the bagels and the cream cheese. I don't actually have to spread the cream cheese. Just put it out on the counter and the kids eat it with the bagels I toast. And they do have a peanut butter option too. But I've still been feeling a little iffy about it.

And of course I went to refresh my memory about the awful conditions dairy cows face.

And now I feel a little worse.

At lunch the kids eat all kinds of meals, I think 3 have been vegetarian this month. (meals not kids) I was able to take on the role of playground supervisor and not have to serve or do the dishes from the kids lunches so I feel pretty covered there. Although the school counselor keeps saying she thinks we'll all need to switch jobs sometime in case people get sick of what they're doing. My two other coworkers currently serve and do dishes and I figure they could alternate if they want a change but I still feel weird whenever she says that.

All this leaves me wondering, my being vegan is in part a spiritual, or even religious, endeavor - how much respect and accommodation does the law provide, if any... and where are my lines. I won't allow meat in my home. My roommates is a vegetarian who eats copious amounts of cheese.

I've said before I won't assist in the consumption of meat. And I'm starting to lean that way with dairy. And wtf does this all mean for the flexitarian-ish girl I'm going to rome to see in December...

So what about your job? Is it vegan? Has it challenged you to think about where you draw your moral lines?

I suppose my job is vegan, in that I'm not forced to deal with animal products (I'm a French professor).

Though when I first turned vegetarian, I was still working during summers and my school breaks as a waitress/barmaid/lunch assistant at an Eagle's club in my home town, and I had to serve (but not prepare) stuff like chicken and (even worse: liver and onions!).

My job at Target could be vegan, I mostly pushed carts, but what about the plastics used to make the baskets? I don't know. What about the plastics in the bags, the credit cards, the kids toys, again I dont know. Cleaners, no cruelty free, but would you clean up vomit and poop with anything but bleach? Thats all that was around and it covered up the smells so I was glad to have it around. I had to cover at the food place a few times and it just reinforced how bad people eat: Salty buttery popcorn, artifically colored slushy stuff, soda, that reallynasty yellow cheese stuff, the hotdogs on the rolling rack, microwave pizza and chiken stuff. Im currently more employed like potter, being as vegan as possible. My parents aren't vegan nor anybody I know around here, even the environmentalists like their meat, non vegan food not bombs food-how peaceful is that? Non of my co workers are even vegetarian, but one did say he got vegan ribs in the cafeteria which he thought were okay. professors, advisors...I just dont want to get into it with them. I did get out of a state mandated vaccination by calling my vegan ideals religious. so Aaron, if you dont like something find alternatives if there are any. If there are not then know at least you dont have to eat this stuff, nor really give it to anyone. Maybe stand by the peanutbutter and assist the kids with that instead of by the cream cheese.

I work in medical publishing. My current job is great, but before this I worked publishing promotional materials for pharmaceutical companies. I didn't always feel great about it, but I have an obligation to provide my part for my family the best way I know how. I have worked waiting tables and stuff in the past. It was a job and I would often recommend vegetarian options when people asked. You can only do the best you can. I think it's hard enough to endear people to veganism and totally cutting yourself off only makes it harder.

My massage job is vegan unless a client brings their own products to be used in the massage and it might have animal products or it could be cruelty un-free.

My job at the activity center employs the use of harsh chemicals. I have to check out sporting equipment that is often made of leather. It would be nice to quit. Maybe someday soon!

Of the 3 jobs I'm currently working: 1 - Yes! 2 - Nope, not at all.

Part of the work I do is preparing food for folks & vegetarian diets are an option. Almost daily, I'm working with different folks & get asked about what I'm eating or why I'm not eating what the company provides. I tell them I have a vegan diet but as it's at work, I dont usually pursue the issue very far. I have been pleasantly surprised by being told by a variety of people that "there's lots of you vegans working here these days..." but I havent met any of these folks yet...

I have an immune disorder resulting in me being fairly incapacitated and thus unable to work.

Back when i was still vegetarian I used to work as a checkout operator though, and hated having to handle the bits of oozing skanky dead bodies.

I worked as a waitress in this crappy hick restaurant as well, and the rude woman who employed me kept trying to harass and insult me into cooking dead bodies or make sandwiches with bits of dead fish in them, but i always refused. She once got really pissed off when she abandoned the restaurant and left me as the only staff there for several hours as she did very frequently, because i sold someone some dead fish sandwiches for minimum marked-price , and they were smoked salmon ones which supposedly means that they are superior bits of dead body or something.... not that i have any idea which kinds of dead bodies others view as inferior or superior, and it isn;t like she bothered to tell me.

It just said "sandwiches from £1.50" on the menu, so i charged them £1.50. That seemed a like reasonable thing to do in that situation to me then, and still does. She would have whined plenty if i had overcharged them, that's for sure, so i was damned if i was going to charge more than what it said on the menu. She should have had a less vague pricing setup on the menu if she expected me to run her establishment in her abscence, i reckon. I would have been 17 or something, then. I doubt if what she did was even legal, going away all the time and all.

wtf does this all mean for the flexitarian-ish girl I'm going to rome to see in December...

That depends on what sort of omnivore she is, ie whether she respects you and the way you feel, or not.

The only way to know the answer to that question is to ask her.

I work in the business operations section of a not for profit organisation that deals with spinal injury. I manager a department that consists mostly of people with a physical disability working on a contract for the state government here in Sydney. So my job itself is vegan and quite rewarding.

That said, I know that the organisation gives money to researchers who are trying to find a cure for spinal injuries, which as you can imagine for anyone who has suffered a spinal injury is an important part of what we do. The trouble is I know that this research would involve experiments on animals, so this part of my job is not vegan in the slightest and really quite horrible

My study of psychology isn’t vegan at all. Lot’s of animal experiments resulting in consolidated findings (especially behavioral psychology and therapy). I’ll complete my degree next year and didn’t care that much at the beginning. It really hurts when I changed my opinion about animal rights since I’m vegan. It is really hard to cope with the knowledge that a lot of my “skills” in psychology are based on animal experiments. I don’t know if I would study psychology again, but I don’t think so. It’s seems like that I’ll get a job as drug-therapist and maybe I could be a kind of archetype as vegan for some of the people I’ll work with. I know that this wouldn’t offset the animal suffering of my studies but I hope it will make me feel a bit better then I’m feeling right now.

Alot of your studies based on animal tests aren't really all that credible when you relate them to people so don't worry about that(of course we should all feel bad that it happens). People react far differently than animals do to pretty much everything. So really animal tests can only help animals of the same species...just as the most effective tests for humans are done on humans...some cruel tests done by the Nazis taught us alot even though they were terrible...cruel animal tests teach us nothing of people

I almost did that a few summers ago...my ex-fiancees father is one of the most powerful teamsters presidents in the nation...I think he wanted to groom me into the union. Anyway the pay would have been really good and I liked that I could have worked at 11pm...good luck!!!

I guess strictly speaking my main job is not vegan. I work in environmental compliance/hazardous waste. In order to determine several of the characteristics (toxicity, corrosivity) that make a chemical hazardous, animal testing is used. However, my employer is not directly responsible for the testing and we do make sure that thousands of pounds of haz waste per year are properly disposed and 60-90K pounds of scrap electronics per year are recycled.

I hadn't really thought about it, but my job as a massage therapist is vegan. I bring my own oils and supplies, so I know those are purely the good stuff. No idea about the stuff the other workers use (I probably don't want to know) but I don't participate in their jobs anyway. The day spa where I work puts bowls of hershey kisses and other non-vegan treats in various places in the facility, but I don't have to eat them, recommend them, give them to anyone, or keep any in my treatment room.

If anyone has a good recommendation on individually-wrapped vegan chocolates or candies to keep in my room, PM me?

My other role as a professional geek (computers/networking/etc) is also vegan, to the best of my knowledge.