Best way to add weight to crunches/stomach building.

For holding plates on your chest: hold your left shoulder with your right hand and right shoulder with left hand. I'm sure you can imagine how to hold a plate on your chest now.

I used to only do crunches for abs and they did work, adding leg raises seems to help as well tho. Still, when I do crunshes with short movement and at a good pace they hurt like s*** so I think they are hard enough really.

woah....I swear if I tried that I would end up nose down on the pavement...also the lack of a) and rollerskate and b) and a flat peice of ground (seriously I live on hill) might make it tough!

That's even better...

That was my first time doing it....

Hey...isn't Brighouse near Leeds?....I used to live in Heckmondwike, Yorkshire...

This site has a lot of good info on all kinds of stuff in very short paragraphs.

Here is one which describes Adding weight

How to get a 'six pack' abs

One about using a balance ball and adding hand weights

Another for using weights and some on a medicine ball.

And, my personal opinion is that Breathing correctly is sooo essential. So don't forget to

Hope this is helpful.

woah....I swear if I tried that I would end up nose down on the pavement...also the lack of a) and rollerskate and b) and a flat peice of ground (seriously I live on hill) might make it tough!

Hey...isn't Brighouse near Leeds?....I used to live in Heckmondwike, Yorkshire...

Yes it is, I work in Leeds. I have only lived here for about 6 weeks but I am enjoying it so far.

Yes it is, I work in Leeds. I have only lived here for about 6 weeks but I am enjoying it so far.

where did you come from?...I used to go to leeds often!

where did you come from?...I used to go to leeds often!

I used to live in Southampton.

(I have lived all over though I am a bit nomadic)

I have perhaps the weakest abs known to man (really) and have been on a mission to get them much much stronger for the past 4 months. I've been making progress, but recently discovered that for my abs to really grow, I need to hit then HEAVY and OFTEN. Even more than frequency is the amount of resistance I must use.

In other words, a set of crunches won't do. 3 sets of crunches won't do. I need to dedicate 3-4 ab exercises (3 sets of each) 2-3 times a week to really get a response. Just doing a couple sets of crunches every day to failure doesn't do anything for me (besides make me breath hard).

Oh, the other thing, using weights makes a HUGE difference for me. Weighted incline situps are a must-do exercise. I also use medecine balls and natulilus ab machines. For me, I need the heavy resistance or body doesn't grow.

Well I have switched from doing 3 sets of 20 crunches to 3 x 10 with a 15kg dumbell on my chest and 3 x 10 v-ups (these certainly feel more like they are working my stomach)

I have noticed today though that my abs are starting to become more defined so just the crunches against my own body weight were obviously doing something.

• 4 weeks later...

you should do a lot of isometric holds... i guarantee i can outlast anyone on these boards in abs and i never lift any weight other than my own body...

if you need some specific idea, i can help... for starters, try lying flat on your back and lift your legs six inches off the ground, keep your legs straight and your back flat.... hold for a minute at a time...

or do that same thing, but hold for a ten count, then lift your legs straight up over your hips (90degrees) and then drop them back down to a twenty count (20 being at 90degrees and 1 being at 6 inches), then hold for ten and repeat... i guarantee that will be more difficult than it sounds... if you find it too easy, double the time counts... you could also get a medicine ball or something of 5-10 lbs weight to hold between you feet and do the same thing

i got all of my ab training from two different navy seals instructors... i've watched guys way bigger than Rob moan and whimper in pain and collapse during those two guys' training courses

or do that same thing, but hold for a ten count, then lift your legs straight up over your hips (90degrees) and then drop them back down to a twenty count (20 being at 90degrees and 1 being at 6 inches), then hold for ten and repeat... i guarantee that will be more difficult than it sounds... if you find it too easy, double the time counts... you could also get a medicine ball or something of 5-10 lbs weight to hold between you feet and do the same thing

s

Hey, Bighead, I've heard of something like this, but tell me, what is the result of this? Is this for bulk abs or flat-stomach-cut abs? I'm lookin' for the latter; problem is, I build on my already-wide waist very quickly. So I want to reduce that area even though I realize that any work on abs is actually building. I'd like my waist more tapered (or the illusion of such) and back to the measurement of my youth.

Also, is there any stopping in the routine I quoted above? You didn't say when to stop or indicate when a set was complete. Just go till you can't any longer...?

I like doing twist on a reverse curl machine...just go in face up and get a heavy med ball...hold it in your hands with your arms straight out and twist till your heart's content