Weight and Intensity

Guest veganpotter

Oddly...I'm riding 500miles this week and I'm gaining weight. It doesn't bother me because I know most of it is water since I'm really stressing drinking alot more than normal...I'm also eating about 800 calories more than normal but I'm burning about 2000 calories more than normal...of course we all know calorie counting is BS for us endurance athletes...anyway I feel a bit bigger and I think alot of it could be inflamation. My ankles seem a bit larger and my thighs seem much bigger. I'd think I'd be breaking my muscles down since I'm not giving them any rest at all so its gotta be water or swelling. I'll know on Wednesday after my day off...or maybe a week later since I'll be dropping my milage to 300-350 and eat my normal diet again...if I'm lucky the weight loss will kick in then but who knows. The last few days I've been fluttering from 205-212...but then again that includes my montrous green smoothies

Has anyone else here gained weight when increasing milage over 30%??? This goes for runners and cyclists.

Has anyone else here gained weight when increasing milage over 30%??? This goes for runners and cyclists.

No. I may maintain weight and then find I've lost a bit a couple days later, but never gained it. It has to be water, I guess. Are you drinking insane amounts? It is a little cooler, so maybe you're not sweating as much as you would have in the summer?

Veganpotter,

that happens when you do such high mileage because your body is under such enourmous stress. Therefore, it raises cortisol levels which in turn raises and/or holds onto bodyfat. I know this happens to me and if I take a few days off or drop the mileage the weight literally drops off.

It is amazing how the body works.

Great job with logging all the miles in. I wish I could ride that much this tim eof year.

Keep on riding!!

Huh that's interesting, Harley. While I can't say that I've noticed a weight gain during a spell of intense workouts, I have noticed a sharp drop afterwards. I don't weigh myself that often, though, so maybe that's why I don't notice the gain that may indeed be there.

Learn something new every day!

Thanks alot Harley...I forgot all about the cortisol thing...this week I'll take it easy...rode 75 today but tomorrow is my day off and I'm gonna keep it a bit over 300 miles this week to see what happens...as for the water thats another likely culprit since I'm drinking like a maniac and its definately cooler but then again my rides are an hour to and hour and a half longer so I may be sweating just about as much.

Its gonna be hard for me to just keep doing big milage without testing myself though. Two weeks of easy riding after the last 500mile week I rode I was considerably faster after I recovered...this time I'll wanna test to see how fast I am but really I shouldn't...I should just maintain my long base milage and test myself when the season starts. I'm really looking forward to the Dismal Dash...its a really flat 40k TT in eastern Virginia in Early March...its pretty much always really cold but I plan on kicking some major butt...the best from our team was a 1:02(took second overall) and the next best guys in my club came in around 1:07...I would have probably rode about 1:10 with the shape I was in last year going by how the guys my level did...I'm hoping to be somewhere in between with all this extra work I'm doing. Plus I have the added benefit of a much more refined diet than I had last year

Already training for a race in March...awesome. Yer gonna kick a$$.

I've been kicking around the idea of putting together a XC bike and racing a bit next year. I think I can do it on the cheap (<$1000) and come out with a 24/25 pound hardtail. We'll see. My fully's a healthy 32 lbs, which is pretty light considering what I put it through.

Wow, training now for a race in March. You will kick some butt!!

Keep it up.

Is the weather in Virginia conducive to riding all winter?

i.e don't you get snow, ice and really cold weather?

I am heading to Europe tomorrow and will return in 2 weeks.

Won't be riding where i am going. It is going to be tough enough to stay raw vegan.

Keep riding!!

We may have a week straight where the high temp. is below 28degrees...and maybe 5 random days like that...I'll ride if its that cold...also we may get two or three days where the highs in the teens but its kinda rare so really I can ride all year. Last winter there were only 3 days where I couldn't ride due to poor snow/ice cleanup...it was a good winter season...surely its different for you northerners As for the TT I'm really looking foreward to it...if I can get away with it I don't wanna do many crits...just focus in Time Trials and maybe a few 30mile+ road races if I can find any within a reasonable distance(we've got all these lousy 15mile crits in Virginia.

As for Europe hopefully you'll get some raw goodies...there's raw food everywhere...other than in alot of restaurants