Can Vegans Go to Heaven???

VegaNick

As a joke I told my mother that I couldn't get into heaven because vegans had no place in the land of milk and honey. I am not a christian but I was of course joking however it did make me question, is the bible in a way biased against a diet free of animal products? I do understand that the word vegan did not exist but the diet certainly did. If god knows all than shouldnt he or she know about the diet and why would animal products be used to describe the place where you want to be?

Read Genesis...plain to see we were meant for a plant based diet.

Genesis 1:29-30

"29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so."

Daniel 1:11-16

" 11 Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 12 "Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see." 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.

15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead. "

Sorry mate, but the bible doesn't describe any place I want to be. The world of the bible is chock full of animal sacrafices, god induced plagues, murder by stoning and every manner of intolerance and injustice. If you follow every word of the bible, you will not even end up in the land of "milk and honey", you will just end up a lunatic like Jerry Falwell and his cronies.

if the Christian afterlife is full of discompassionate people because only those who support and perpetuate animal abuse are allowed inside, then i know which side of the door I would rather end up on if through some amazing feat of unlikelihood I die and it turns out that such a place exists.

well I think you have to take into account literal versus symbolic speech...

there's lots of symbolic speech in the bible which has unfortunately too often been taking literally

'land of milk and honey' to me always indicated land of sweet, rich, things... milk and honey being used in various rituals for their revered fine qualities and also probably not readily available to common people... being expensive.

basically milk and honey = land of plenty.

Maybe that means its land for milk and honey...where milk and honey can exist without being thrown into the terrible acidic abyss of the human stomach

Bet ya'll didn't know that Hey-Zeus had an eyebrow piercing & such awesome taste in Euro-dance music!

I really don't like Euro-dance music all that much...I stick to the asian stuff when I play Dance Dance Revolution

Tininkling is the coolest...its a Filipino dance with two people clapping bamboo rods...you've gotta avoid getting your legs clamped in them...kinda like double dutch...I'm terrible at it and I always get bruised ankles but my mothers amazing

As a joke I told my mother that I couldn't get into heaven because vegans had no place in the land of milk and honey. I am not a christian but I was of course joking however it did make me question, is the bible in a way biased against a diet free of animal products? I do understand that the word vegan did not exist but the diet certainly did. If god knows all than shouldnt he or she know about the diet and why would animal products be used to describe the place where you want to be?

It's a common misconception that God knows all. He's actually really dumb. But don't let him hear you say that. Because he can kick some serious ass and he's very vengeful.

is the bible in a way biased against a diet free of animal products??

The bible and Christianity have been politicized to the core... see Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire for some sharp insight into the early church and how from nearly the beginning, Christianity was molded to the liking of the political and intellectual powers of the day.

As for using the bible to condone cruelty to animals, many Biblical passages condone practices we would find totally abhorrent today, including slavery, treating women as chattel, the punishment of death by stoning for adultery, and blood sacrifices.

Society evolves.