How Many Members Are Over 40?

jonzen

I know we have quite a few members over 40. A handful of them don't post much anymore, but there are still some out there. We have an old thread called "how old are you and where are you from?" It is probably lost in the archives, but I'm sure there are 40+ members in there.

We have members of all ages and it is really cool!

Very nice to meet you Montanavegan!

From your tagline, it appears that you and I began weightlifting at about the same time this year. How are you doing? What gains have you made? And how is it for you practicing veganism in Billings?

I'm up in preparation for going to the gym (5:30 AM) I like to sip hot yerba mate and rice milk before I go, read some emails, then psyche up to go work out at the little gym in town. Today is back day.

I'd like to hear more about your workout routine. Thanks!

John

Hi John,

Billings isn't what I would call vegan friendly.

Restaurant choices are very slim unless you want an iceberg salad.

We do have a couple Asian places that I eat at occasionally.

My progress is slow but steady, I don't work as hard as most people here.

If I do more reps or more weight than the previous week, I'm happy.

I workout at home, I have a bench with cable attatchment and assorted DumbBells.

I do my workouts in the morning like you do.

I drink Vega and soy milk and read emails between sets.

The body part that seems to be improving the best for me is chest doing bench presses.

I've split my routine into 3 parts.

I'm sure I'm missing some body parts, anybody can make suggestions.

Upper Body Push

Bench Press

Delts

Triceps

Upper Body Pull

Cable Pull Downs, still trying to get a pullup

Bicep Curls

Gripping exercises for my forearms.

Shrugs

Sometimes Cable Rows

Lower Body

Hanging Leg Raises (I think that's what they are called)

Crunches

DumbBell Squats

I still haven't started doing deadlifts.

Bonjour Katherine! I took French in gradeschool, 4 years(?) and still love the sound of French as a spoken language. A fantasy of mine has been to somehow be transported back to Paris in the early 1900's to be there with Picasso and Matisse and Gertrude Stein! I love France!

Yes, I remember Dobbie Gillis well! So, ha, now I know there are indeed others on the Forum who share in some of those added challenges of added years!

And MontanaVegan, it was great to hear of your workout program. I applaud you for doing this at home on your own. That, I think, takes even more, much more, dedication! Bravo! The only way I could get myself to stick with a program was to hire a young trainer! He has kept me on a tough program and both he and I are happy with the results thus far. Maybe we can compete within an older category of weightlifting someday? Ha!

For now,I seem to have stemmed the onset of age by working out as I have, many people comment that I appear younger! My muscles are bigger than ever in my life! (not saying much though, since I have always been an artist, and not prone to sports activities) I surely feel much much better now. These days I literally run up the stairs two at a time to my loft space, whereas in January of this year, before I began training, I got out of breath just walking up the stairs!

It's so good to meet other vegans who are into fitness!

Veganpotter, I know that the style of televison from the 50's and 60's was remarkably different from the style observed now. It was where it was then, and of course things are different now. I like to observe the differences in the these things, it makes for a lovely richness. I appreciate your opinion. Of course I won't argue with you! Coming from this place in time and looking back, those early attempts at entertainment were very different indeed! At least they had some kind of smell and weren't completely innocous.

Have you seen any old kinescopes of The Ernie Kovacks Show? Strange stuff indeed. There is a museum of television and radio in Los Angeles. I visited the place one afternoon and explored some of those old shows. Truly amazing! It was a time of a kind of innocence, less graphic violence, and different humor.

What is your favorite show on television now?

And what about your favorite current movie?

Maybe we can compete within an older category of weightlifting someday? Ha!

In 7 years we both can compete in the 50+ age group.

Actually I don't have any desire to compete in weightlifting or bodybuilding.

I have to respect those that do compete, but it's just not for me.

But you never know, goals can change.

I told myself I would be satisfied when I could bench 225.

Now that I achieved that goal, I want to bench 315.

My favorite TV show is and always will be ER...I don't get to watch it often because I'm in the studio all night but thats the one show on TV that I hate missing.

As for movies I'm a Lord of the Rings nut...and I've got a hell of a lot of Arnold flicks(18 DVDs so far)

How about you???

I don't have a television now, but for a couple of years I lived in a house where there was a TV going in every room! Then I got into watching "Six Feet Under". The times I did watch ER I liked it very much.

These days I seem to have traded the TV for the laptop And reading. I just discovered the DaDa strangeness of Gertrude Stein's writing. Do you know of it? For example, here is one paragraph of a 'portrait' she wrote about Picasso in 1912...

"This one was certainly working and working was something this one was certain this one would be doing and this one was doing that thing, this one was working. This one was not one completely working. This one was not ever completely working. This one certainly was not completely working."

Dada!

Movies? The last film I liked very much was "The Illusionist". Another film I rated highly was "Water" directed by Deepa Metha. But you know I am open to seeing and experiencing almost all movies. There is a new and very cool Movie House here in Sisters, and I have befriended the owner, a kicky lady who was an exec in NIKE and now wants to run a movie house! So I see films about once a week on the big screen, but mostly via DVD on my little laptop!

Man, Veganpotter, you have one heck of an Arnold collection! Do you have every film he ever made? Cool!

ER is amazing...at one point they had something like 5 vegan cast members...a few more at various times.

As for movies the Illusionist was amazing...I saw it with Daywalker when he was down here.

Eventually I'll have all the Arnold DVDs...It'll be a couple years I think but maybe earlier if I'm lucky...I've got a while to go...he's made alot of movies