quick iron question

i take a multi most everyday with iron in it. it is the deva one-a-day.

is this enough iron, or should I take an extra iron suplement? just wondering, and worrying about my iron. it seems like everytime i ask someone a question "why do i bruise easily?" "why do i have poor circulation in my feet?" they say

"are you getting enough iron?"

and I tell them about my daily multi.

maybe i need more though?

just wondering, vegan loves :):)

Heather

My girlfriend also has poor circulation and she says it's from her diabetes. It's nothing horrible or to be worried about but she gets cold easily(which makes snuggling awesome). But i digress...

I think of you're already taking a pill with iron in it and eating plenty of nuts beans or whatever, you should be fine. Spinach is good too, i think they're starting to sell it again if i'm not mistaken.

Yes! they are selling spinach. I have some poor circulation since my hands are often cold. I've read you can roll your shoulders for a bit and wrist rolls. You can move your fingers around to draw blood to the hands. The iron probably is not the issue. I take 2 multivitamins at the same time almost every day recently, and its not changing anything. I also live on beans and rice and nuts.

You need iron but it is toxic and can harm you if you get too much. That is why many multi-vitamins are iron-free.

I advise that you get an iron measurement test from a doctor to make sure you need it before supplementing with iron.

I took iron supplements last year, after bad allergies led to a blood test that a "superficial" doctor stated showed I needed iron. I developed horrible head aches from the iron. An internal doctor tested my iron and said I did not need supplements. She also looked at my blood test, that the other doctor had done, and said that I was only slightly anemic, in that test, and she added that a prudent doctor should have done another test, at a later time, to confirm before telling me to take iron supplements because they can be dangerous, as my headaches symptoms showed.

Although women need more iron than men, so maybe iron supplements are less risky for woemn but a doctor's advice would be good to get, if you can.

Iron isn't tough to get as a vegan at all...iron isn't even one of the harder things to get in reality...unless of course your a vegan who hates greens(I know quite a few of them)

I always forget about the oats and grains since they aren't a big part of my diet any longer...soon they will reenter my diet due to the cold though

I always forget about the oats and grains since they aren't a big part of my diet any longer...soon they will reenter my diet due to the cold though

I ate a lot of raw food during the summer (probably not near the percentage you've been eating), and as the winter approaches, I no longer crave kiwi or anything like that, it's a weird feeling eating seasonally, I've never really felt like that before.

Yeah...I'm definately graving tons of cereal now...bananas are never something I crave but I know I would if I didn't have them for a day or two...I don't really ever crave kiwis here though since kiwi available in the US rarely satisfies me moreso than other fruits

Yeah...I'm definately graving tons of cereal now...bananas are never something I crave but I know I would if I didn't have them for a day or two...I don't really ever crave kiwis here though since kiwi available in the US rarely satisfies me moreso than other fruits

I've been eating so much cereal, once I start lifting it's going to help me out big time.

Did you know that you can get iron (in an easily assimilated form) in seaweeds? Yuck! is the reaction most people say at seaweeds. But I have sneaked them into all of my baked goods that I make for my kids! It is Dulse flakes and with only 1 Tablespoon you get 14% RDA. I also use Molasses (15% for 1 Tablespoon) but it adds a distinctive taste to the food (with cookies I can get it into them). You shouldn't use the dulse flakes if you have an iodine problem (since it contains alot of iodine), but I don't use iodized salt (sea salt instead) so this is what I use for our iodine in our diet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to say in my experience the best way I've found to get iron through out the day, without taking any risky iron suppliments, is pure dark organic molasses. Just a couple table spoons is all I take. Also I've read that your body absorbs iron a lot better with vitamin C. So drink organic italian volcano orange juice, because just 6.75 oz has 28% of your daily requirement for iron and it absorbs better. You can probably find both at your local trader joe store.