Do You Ever Get Razzed About Getting A Cold And Being Vegan?

jonzen

I wonder if any of you get the same kind of hassle whenever, if ever, you get a cold or flu..........my carnivorus friends always make comments, something like, "Sick huh? Must be your Vegan lifestyle!" It's like they take pity on me for being weird (in their minds) and suffering for it. Or they try to make a joke of it.

I personally don't believe catching a cold has much to do with being Vegan, and I think I am maybe healthier than some of my friends...

Just wondered if any of you have experienced this.

(yeah, I have a cold and I am probably seeking reassurance from my tribe!)

Sorry you're sick.

As you probably know, catching a cold has to do with being exposed to it. Having a weakened immune system might help it take hold - like I know I'm more likely to catch a cold if I'm tired, especially from traveling.

Having said that, though, with the exception of "Montezuma's revenge" (courtesy of my Mexican honeymoon) I haven't been sick or had a cold for a very long time (knock on wood). So it's the opposite in my office - they say "you're vegan so you never get sick".

I rarely ever get sick...not even when I was an omnivore...but when people say that too me...or even ask me if I get sick I tell them if I get sick its very likely due to my excessive training which weakens your immune system substantially

Yes, I hear it when I do get sick. I have a low white blood cell count (genetic) so I used to, as an omni, get sick continuously and would be "down and out" several days every month and sick almost weekly. Now it's once per month and I can work through it and it only lasts 1-2 days. Huge difference!

I hope you feel better soon! *hugs*

Thanks SeaSiren and Offense74, I was curious to know if others got the same hassles as me. My friends are always saying that what I need is a Big Mac or something. I hardly ever get sick. But I have been working out very hard this past month, increasing cardio plus weights 6 days a week. Maybe that lowered my immune system.

I remember getting sneezed on while in line at the store! (hmmm ) about 4 days ago....

I try to be mindful about saying things to others about their dietary and lifestyle choices. I take advantage of any moment though when one is curious about vegetarianism and veganism, and educate people about what I have learned regarding the dairy industry in general and the meat industry. But I know how it feels to be judged by others, so I try to be sensitive about other's feelings.

I have epilepsy and have to take a drug called dilantin, this is hard on the liver, and I wonder if this might also lower my immune system?

I'm feeling better this afternoon, and appreciate your friendship very much.

It's sometimes lonely out here on top of this rock. Beautiful though!

I used to get the "if you're ill, it must be because you're a veg*n" crap once in a while. But I haven't heard it for a while.

Strange how eaters of the SAD are quick to blame veg*nism for every little illness, but they often can't see how they are digging their way to a future of cardiovascular problems, cancers and diabetes with their lifestyles.

I'm happy to say that I haven't been sick in almost 2 years, not even a cold.

Before that I would catch every cold that came through the office.

It seems like everyday I'm around somebody that has a cold.

Somebody in the office makes fun of my health "kick" to other people.

Never says anything to my face about it though.

He's got a cold today, I heard him sneezing and blowing his nose.

Sorry to say that I chuckled to myself at his poor health.

Get well soon John.

While I was home sick I got to read up on the human immune system. It's simply a friggin' awesome machine

I've also heard that humans have one of the best immune systems in the animal kingdom which wouldn't surprise me if it was right. We have pretty much eaten everything, been on every corner of the world and we are probably the most curious of all the strange creatures on this planet (and as we all know, at least that kill cats).

I've never gotten that before, but I know a number of vegans who have..

(especially my friend John who is vegan

and his family is a bunch of rednecks)

I think it's amazing how omnis are quick to blame getting sick on your diet when you're vegan, but are SO in denial at how often they as omnivores get sick..

Let alone that their diet had ANYTHING to do with it.

Everyone at my work thinks they are so healthy

when they can't even stay well thru the sick season.

They are all just in denial.

Anyhow... I am not going to brag about how unfrequently I get sick,

but lets just say being a raw fooder keeps you well(indefinitely)

Also, acupuncture is a full-proof way to boost the immune system.

& as far as weakening the immune system goes.. I think even more

significantly then over training, would be the consumption of sugar.

That will get you sick in no time, because sugar attacks the system

and the organs, and causes havok within the body.

rest up, and feel better!

Yup working out has a lot to do with it I think, and being around lots of people. I just got over a cold, it kinda lingered for 2 weeks, the worst of it was over in a few days but my sinuses are still not up to par. The drop in temperature doesnt help either. We went from 70 degree days to 50 pretty fast, and the heat is blasting in all the buildings. I'm gonna take a lot of vit. c and eat plenty, that should help out alot.

We should just tell everyone its a consequence of not being born vegan to vegan parents...surely unless you turn vegan very, very young...our bodies still suffer from our older diets for many years...but also not all sicknesses can be fought off no matter what you eat

Wow, when I think of what my parents thought of as "good food", Oy Vey! I was very FAT as a child and always getting sick too. Wasn't until I entered High School that I began waking up, and changing my diet on my own.......but it took me many years to get where I am now.

The necks here in this area are often red. I know of no other Vegans other than you guys! That's why I am so happy to be here!

A cool thing though, my friend Ron (who is a dedicated carnivore/chef) just brought me some garlic broth....3 HEADS of garlic in water with herbs de provence.

I can hardly wait to get back into the gym. My trainer just emailed me and suggested Thursday. With this garlic in me, I might be able to do that!

I got some pomegranate juice today too. Man is that good!

So, knowing I am not alone on this path (though evidently there are some Forum members who almost never catch a cold) (Bravo to them!) (Superior genes?) ....you have helped make me feel better! Thanks!

I found an illustration of the plant that yerba mate is made from. It grows in semi-tropical environments, so I don't know how many of us will be successful in it's culture! Vega mate??

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5114/yerbamatetreerg3.jpg

Colds make me laugh. I started getting a fever in school, went to my German class with it, got home, had a couple cups of tea, went to bed at my usual time (sometime after midnight), and woke up completely fine. Aside from the fact that the cold didn't stop me from doing anything, that's the "first" time I've been sick since April of 2002 (except when I was in the hospital in July of 2002 to have my appendix taken out).

I make fun of people who are constantly sick and tell them to drink their OJ.

List of things that cause my colds;

Beer

Sweet drinks

London

Spending more than an hour in a swimming pool

Getting old

Anyway hope you get better

Thanks Igor! Well, I don't do beer or sweet drinks, and I haven't been to London in a few years, and haven't been swimming in years either (!), BUT I am getting older! So maybe that's why! And thanks Igor, I am just about totally well now! John

oh i know what you mean. god forbid i sneeze or cough in the presence of some of my carnivore friends. any little thing they suspect is wrong with me, they try to blame it on my diet. if i sneeze, "maybe you should start eating meat again". if i cough, "some chicken soup should clear that up". if i trip over a branch, "does veganism make you lose your balance". if i misspell a word, "have a steak, you will spell better".

it's ridiculous how they try to blame veganism for any little thing that may go wrong, but completely turn a blind eye to the decades of research establishing the dangers of meat consumption. not to mention the shape they are in. here they are with their expanding waistline and robust belly hanging dangerously low over the belt buckle like a 90 pound tumor, and they are giving me dietary advice?!

Yes Ronnie Kray, this is exactly what has happened to me! And it sounds as if we have some similar acquaintences with the expanding waistlines too! The other thing I get very often from these friends is something like, "You're too thin, you need to gain some weight!". This comment usually comes from someone who is often obviously overweight (and not at all muscular).

Why is someone being thin/lean often seen as unhealthy by overweight omni/carnivores??

So, knowing I am not alone on this path (though evidently there are some Forum members who almost never catch a cold) (Bravo to them!) (Superior genes?) ....you have helped make me feel better! Thanks!

The immune system improves when one stops destroying it by eating poisonous (animal-derived) food.

But what i wanted to say was that everbody different gets picked on. It makes the teasers feel better about themselves. And most often the subject of the teasing is people who they do not understand. Like vegans.

The One Reason I've given people to tease me for being vegan is that i usually stay up until 1-2 o'clock in the night doing stuff with the computer, so i look kind of sleepy and exhausted all the time (they don't know why). So everyone who gets a chance, suggests that "eating a porkchop will wake you up" or "that's the cost of eating carrots" or something similarly stupid.

Kuramus said:

But what i wanted to say was that everbody different gets picked on. It makes the teasers feel better about themselves. And most often the subject of the teasing is people who they do not understand. Like vegans.

Yes, Kuramus, I think is is a sound observation. My wish is that soon, before it is too late, all people will honor the diversity of life and it's many differences. I found myself naif in assuming that all vegans would be gentle and peaceful to all things. My challenge is often to not react in a negative manner when one says something that stings. I am not always very successful in this! But I keep working at it.

It may be challenging to extend compassion, understanding and mindfulness to another when the situation is foreign, uncomfortable or out of one's normal path. It might be easier to tease in that moment?

In this way, I try not to make snide remarks about my carnivorous friend's eating habits, instead encourage them to research the facts about the meat and dairy industries for themselves and make an educated decision even though they sometimes tease me about my 'needing a Big Mac or a pork chop or a lobster tail or chicken soup'. It's not always easy!

What do you say when someone suggests that "you need some chicken soup!"?