Let's talk about Thanksgiving recipes!

Paul Messplay

Nothing special planned...

But I am considering a fast in memory of all the critters murdered & in solidarity with all of the Native peoples who "our" country (the US) has committed genocidal & other attacks against, as well as all of the people without enough to eat while most Americans overeat and still manage to waste immense amounts of food and other resources.

But I am considering a fast in memory of all the critters murdered & in solidarity with all of the Native peoples who "our" country (the US) has committed genocidal & other attacks against, as well as all of the people without enough to eat while most Americans overeat and still manage to waste immense amounts of food and other resources.

That's a good plan!

I often use Thanksgiving week as a detox week and do some kind of cleanse.

I also can't stand the idea of a holiday that reaks of the exploitation of native peoples and the massacre of millions (billions?) of turkeys.

i just had a craving for some stuffing . . . anyone have a good vegan recipe . . . preferable wheat free

That is one Thansgiving food I've always liked. Just something yummy about the spice combo and the veggies in it.

In addition to the regular celery and onions and spices, I like to add sunflower seeds and chopped apples to a recipe.

As for wheat free, you can find wheat free bread in health food stores (flavors and textures vary), or maybe use cornbread or a grain as a base instead of bread crumbs.

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to be our biggest vegetarian thanksgiving ever. Usually it is just the 3 of us plus maybe my parents so at most 5 people. This year my father-in-law is living with us (eating vegetarian at home I might add, I'm impressed) and he's invited my brother in law + family (who are definitely coming) and sister in law + family (not sure they will come). So we could have 10-14 people. Not sure how I'm going to feed so many people. I did buy 2 tofurkys. When my daughter was little a tofurky seemed to last forever, now they rarely last the end of the week. They must've gotten better over the years or our appetites have grown quite a bit!! But my guess is our non-veg guests will be eating mostly the side dishes. So I've been kind of looking around for vegan and vegetarian recipes for us to cook.

The current menu:

Tofurky roast (the kind you buy at the store) with onions, carrots, potatoes

Stuffing

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples topped with nuts

Pumpkin Pie

Apple Pie

8 large russet potatoes boiled and mashed

1 cup of soymilk

1 Tub of vegan Earthbalance spread

1 cup of nutritional yeast

tons of pepper basil and oregano

---no salt...its not healthy

serves 1 after 1st annual 100mile solo bike ride for the Turkeys

Last year I also made 1 loafs worth of stuffing with 2 large unions, 1 batch of chives, some chestnuts, with a vegan boullion broth...also ate that in the same sitting as the potatoes...this year I may do the same but with a pumpkin pie to top it all off...or even a quart of Soy Delicious(after the pie...not instead of the pie)