Borat

9nines

The movie, Borat, sounds good but I am worried it might poke-fun at vegetarianism or veganism, in which case I would be turned away from the movie.

If anyone sees it, would you post on the question of whether it does or does not make fun of vegetarianism, in any of the scenes.

I would wonder if he does. I saw some clip where he made an ass out of some hunter in TX.

That should be a prime example of the situations, at which it pokes fun.

From what I have read, it concentrates on South and Midwest stereotypes, so veganism should be safe. I still want to confirm, whether it does or does not, before I see it. While I wish I were more open, it would ruin the movie for me, if it did.

Well, as I'm sure all of you know Pam Anderson is a vegetarian and animal rights activist. Borat falls in love with her when he sees her on TV. His buddy mentions to him that she would be protesting at an animal rights event. He then says "for Animal Rights?" and the guys says yes, and they both laugh. That's as far as it goes.

Well, as I'm sure all of you know Pam Anderson is a vegetarian and animal rights activist. Borat falls in love with her when he sees her on TV. His buddy mentions to him that she would be protesting at an animal rights event. He then says "for Animal Rights?" and the guys says yes, and they both laugh. That's as far as it goes.

Yahr, I don't think that's anti-animal rights, because Borat's character is meant to be stupid, so anything which he says is being displayed as a stupid opinion, so for Borat to say that animal rights is stupid, is to say it's a stupid opinion to think that animal rights are stupid. He attacks jews, and the actor / writer is jewish himself, he displays behaviour which he thinks is ridiculous. As far as I know anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally watched this movie as part of my relaxation after the festival. I was actually bothered more by the use of the chicken and bear than the laughing at the animal rights. From a vegan standpoint it wasn't bad at all.

davidtarrfoster and I went and we laughed quite a bit. I don't think it was "the funniest movie I've ever seen" but I do recall laughing many times. I liked the wrestling and running around in the hotel. I had some other favorite parts too, just little things like when he thought the elevator was his room

Yahr, I don't think that's anti-animal rights, because Borat's character is meant to be stupid, so anything which he says is being displayed as a stupid opinion, so for Borat to say that animal rights is stupid, is to say it's a stupid opinion to think that animal rights are stupid. He attacks jews, and the actor / writer is jewish himself, he displays behaviour which he thinks is ridiculous. As far as I know anyway.

Yes. There's nothing in it that pokes fun at veganism. Borat pretty much pokes fun at racists, religionists, sexists, nationalists, etc. IOW conservative types. He never said anything negative about liberals or vegans or those types.

I finally watched this movie as part of my relaxation after the festival. I was actually bothered more by the use of the chicken and bear than the laughing at the animal rights. From a vegan standpoint it wasn't bad at all.

davidtarrfoster and I went and we laughed quite a bit. I don't think it was "the funniest movie I've ever seen" but I do recall laughing many times. I liked the wrestling and running around in the hotel. I had some other favorite parts too, just little things like when he thought the elevator was his room

I was worried about that poor chicken running around the subway car and how much air it was getting to breath in the suitcase. Hopefully the bear head in the refrigderator didn't help support an actual bear being killed.

I haven't seen the movie, but what I've been reading about it concerns me. It seems like he exploited many of the people that he humiliates in the movie. On one hand, some of them 'deserve it' given the ridiculous things they go on to say about homosexuals, jews etc. However, there are some people who apparently are quite reasonable, but he just humiliates them anyway. They are told from the start that it was a normal documentary, and are given false names of the contacts, and even the company is given a false name so they can't research it properly if they tried, then at the last minute on-set they are given the contract which is very wordy and long, and of course they don't read it and just sign it. Again, it could be said to be their fault to just sign the contract, but who reads contracts anyway, especially when it's just meant to be a documentary as far as they know, not a comedy or anything. So then they are faced with Borat's character which they were not expecting, and have the footage taken of them, and any complaints they may have are just shot down by the contract. I don't know how true this is, I read it in the newspaper, there are several people who are pretty unhappy about it, after being in the film and 'taken advantage of'. So that's kind of put me off it.

Yeah just about everyone is suing him it seems. Oh well.

Who were the reasonable people? The Kazak villagers were made out unfairly I guess. The dinner guests in the South maybe were made to look more racist than they might actually be. The drunk college kids are angry at him also but they didn't really look that bad IMO. Just drunk.

I haven't seen it, maybe the newspaper I was reading was taking their side more than is logical. Yeah, what it said about the villagers was what made me particularly unimpressed. But if what it said was true, just about how the contract was worked and stuff, he was pretty misleading, and I don't think the people have been compensated accordingly. It would be a different story if he got them to sign the release form after filming, I would imagine they'd either say no, or they would want more money.

• 1 month later...

I think he picks on as many groups as possible, so eventually he'll get to the AR people or vegan people. I think he goes after any kind of "group" that he can.

I don't think he means any harm, he's just a comedian and that is what they do. I'm almost positive I've heard him say some positive animal welfare comments as well.

I think he picks on as many groups as possible, so eventually he'll get to the AR people or vegan people. I think he goes after any kind of "group" that he can.

I don't think he means any harm, he's just a comedian and that is what they do. I'm almost positive I've heard him say some positive animal welfare comments as well.