Amount of sleep

I have heard many different answers to the amount of sleep required, just as with almost every other aspect of health. I am twenty years old and am wondering about how much sleep I should get at night as someone trying to put on muscle. I average 6 1/2 to 7 hours; from what I hear that probably isn't enough. Thanks.

I have heard many different answers to the amount of sleep required, just as with almost every other aspect of health. I am twenty years old and am wondering about how much sleep I should get at night as someone trying to put on muscle. I average 6 1/2 to 7 hours; from what I hear that probably isn't enough. Thanks.

I depends on the person. 6.5-7 hours should be fine.

If you feel energetic your getting enough...however I feel the more sleep you get the better...if your doing nothing...your resources can all go to recovering your body for the next serving of punishment

If you feel rested and you can wake up when the alarm goes off (instead of hitting the snooze button multiple times) and you don't need caffeine to get through the day, then you're probably getting enough sleep.

I've found that the amount of sleep I need is directly related to my lifestyle. My sleep requirements have ranged from 9hrs+ when i was lazy and eating a lot of crap to about 6hrs, when I was doing a juice fast and keeping moderately active. Lots of stress or exertion will make me want to sleep a little extra. Normally, I need between 7 and 8 hours, though.

I think the amount of sleep one needs varies from month to month and from person to person. If you listen to what your body says, you should be fine.

I beleive that quality of sleep is much more important than quantity. While the two may be slightly correlated, they are not 100% so.

I've performed very well on 6 hours of sleep, and terrible on 9 hours...and vice-versa. I've found that the more sincerely tired I am when I go to sleep, the deeper the sleep and the less of it I need. Too often I find myself going to sleep "just because" even though my body wasn't telling me to do so.

I've also found that too much electronic stimulation before bed time really impacts the quality of my sleep.

I recently did a quick inventory of where I am spending my time(http://www.sethigherstandards.com/time-management-2/)...and obviously, sleep is a big part of my life and something I would love to shorten by a couple hours a night.

As far as exercise and sleep you can look at results to determine if you are getting enough. If you are recovering quickly from your workouts and continue to have enough energy for them then you are likely getting enough calories and enough sleep. If your energy for workouts is lacking look at adding more calories and/or more sleep, if your soreness recovery time is slow look at adding more calories/more sleep and consider doing some active recovery exercise.

I made my best gains when I was working part time or unemployed and could get as much sleep as I needed. Once working settled back in it was difficult to get all the sleep I needed and my recovery rates dropped considerably and therefore the gains came slower.

Regards,

Sensless

I had a heavy workout yesterday and I was totally KO'd at night and this morning I felt very heavy all over. I average about 8 hours I think. Not to say that I am necessarily a good example of how much sleep to get. I function pretty good with any amount of sleep I think. In an emergency etc, sometimes I have to get up at like 4am, only getting say 2 or 3 hours sleep, and I can get up and do what needs to be done okay.