Wish me luck...my daughter's pet gerbil is dying

JW

My daughter has 2 pet gerbils and one of them is on it's last legs I'm afraid.

I don't think she knows how far along it is, so we might be having quite an emotional night in our household.

(my daughter cries when a fish is speared on Survivor)

I suppose this is part of growing up, but it will be heartbreaking nevertheless.

Hannah is 9 yrs old.

It was a rough morning as poor Ginger passed away during the night.

Yes, we have had the "circle of life" talks but it doesn't help too much when the event actually happens.

There were a lot of tears in the house this morning.

We are planning a burial tonight.

It won't get any easier as the other gerbil is the same age ( 3.5 yrs )

and our dog Kelsey is 15.5 yrs (black lab)

Rough experience but it makes me feel better to see that my kids are so compassionate.

thanks for the support all!

RIP Ginger

I would be boned trying to convince a child that death isn't so bad, as I don't have any belief in a cycle / circle / afterlife. The best I'd have would be to say that the animal presumably had a good life and that death is inevitable, and life is what matters

I'm sorry for your loss. It's always helpful to have some kind of rememberance ceremony (there are several family pets buried in peach crates in the flower beds of my family home, as well as some 'found' birds and stray cats). It's always tough losing a loved one, no matter what species, but I think that being exposed to death as part of the cycle of life at a young age makes it a bit easier to handle the death of beloved humans later on.

Thank you all for your kind words.

We had a family ceremony last night. We selected a burial spot in the yard and all of us took turns saying a few words and sprinkling some soil over the box.

We have plans on making a flower bed around the spot. Hannah is busy decorating a memorial stone which we will place over Ginger's grave.

I have a feeling that this little flower garden will be well used by the time our kids are grown up.